Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a lot of fun on the "twisties".... in my Mazda 3 sedan.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Had a lot of fun on the "twisties".... in my Mazda 3 sedan.

This is very random, and might sound funny to some (and less funny to others who've driven it), but we have a 2015 Mazda 3 i Sport sedan (base spec with screen/tech package basically) which I took on some windy roads I frequent in my 911, and just continue to be surprised at how well done this car is in the fun-to-drive and handling department. Mind you, it's a stock suspension, small wheels, nothing fancy whatsoever. The lease is about to be up, and I'm trying to have a bit of fun with it before we return it (we've put on WAY under the allotted miles ).

What's funny is that when getting into it after getting out of my Macan, this car felt like getting into a feather-light sports car (it's nowhere near Macan capable at the limit, but at casual speeds it's much more tossable and go-karty car). Now with my 911, getting into it feels like getting into a serene marshmallow of a large sedan.

Onto the recent drive: Even with its newfound relative largeness to my senses, thanks to my 911, I'm constantly amazed at how much feeling Mazda engineered into this car. I drive my 911 as it's meant to be driven, have driven a Ferrari as well as multiple Porsche's on track, etc. And honestly I can't recall a car where I can tell and feel where its wheels are when driving spiritedly so well. I feel like I can draw a line with it way better than most cars. I get so carried away at how precisely I can shave an apex that one time I heard a loud THWAP while being too daring on a desolate road, late at night, while carving a corner. Turns out I SO CLOSELY grazed a lower cement border that what sounded like a collision ended up being an extremely close rub of the hubcap. So close that it almost knocked the hubcap off. I would NEVER try that in a more expensive car, for obvious reasons, but also because even in my 911, I'm not confident enough in knowing where my wheels are.

Steering feel is excellent (I recall when the new Mazda3 came out, on the BMW 3 Series boards an owner started a thread entitled "BMW, call Mazda about steering feel"), which goes an extremely long way in providing an intuitive experience.

I feel like this car is a solid embodiment (not as much as, say, a GTI of course, but cheaper, and somewhat close) of the differences between "driving a slow car fun" and "driving a fast car fun." Push this 3 hard and it starts to feel like an appliance sedan that can't handle worth a damn. But you can have fun with it at normal driving speeds, if you're on a windy road. My Macan was the exact opposite. Felt large, disconnected, heavy and fluffy at normal speeds. It started to get really fun and responsive when you started pushing it.

The 911 is a unique beast, as we all know. My 2012.5 C2 with PASM, PTV+, S/C, HRE's, H&R's, Sharkwerks exhaust is an absolute THRILL at anything past mellow traffic speeds, largely thanks to the screaming exhaust that makes any drive a sensory joy if you let it sing enough. But the FASTER you drive it, the more visceral and exciting it gets in a dynamic sense, because the limits are so high that it's when you really tap into its hyperness that you appreciate what it's capable of. This Mazda, at its whopping $215 a month, with its lethargic slushbox that's as inspiring and exciting as a conversation with a nun in a library, and its powerless motor, is fun enough to drive at mellow speeds that here I am writing a text book about it on a 911 forum. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.
---------------------------------------------

Now onto the question part. I obviously drew out what I like about this car. We want something with more room than a 911 (but a small sedan suffices) to compliment the 911. It costs $215 a month to lease. We don't drive it enough to really feel compelled to get a much more expensive car to compliment the 911. Anyone have a good recommendation on something that's a step up, but at not too much higher a cost? Open to leasing again (especially since the 911 is paid for), but would probably prefer to buy since we won't use up all the allotted leasing miles. Since it's a second/wife's car, I don't really care what segment of a car it is, I'm looking at everything.

I see lots of people say that the GTI is the perfect 911 compliment. And I agree without even having one. I LOVE the GTI, the perfect car in many ways. It's just maybe a little too short and the wife thinks it's funny looking. Otherwise I would be almost as excited to have one of those as I am toward my beloved 911. Open to any prospects.

Last edited by K-A; 02-21-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the most respected for track experience, and wealthy... PCA members locally daily drives a Mazda 3 hatch. It is a base, no option, manual car. He loves it!

One of my first cars was a 3 cyl Geo metro. Man that thing was fun to drive. Fast - not even close. My brother rear ended a cadillac in it going <10mph and the damage looked horrific. But the thing was so tiny and light that it seemed more like a toy than serious transportation.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Recommend another Mazda 3 with manual, GTI or even base golf/jetta. Old manual 3 series. Old GTI can be bought cheap.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

CPO Panamera? Macan?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Recommend another Mazda 3 with manual, GTI or even base golf/jetta. Old manual 3 series. Old GTI can be bought cheap.
Good advice! Would love a manual GTI but wife can't drive manual.

I was thinking of a newer WRX, but the headroom is atrocious for my height, and the turbo lag was a NIGHTMARE. It sucked the fun out of the car. And the auto was so slushy that I don't think it'd be proper fun without a manual.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hurricane
CPO Panamera? Macan?
Hah, would love both. But don't want to spend that much. :/

It has been tempting though (to just splurge). We just put such little miles on our cars, we can technically get by with just one (which probably would still have pretty low miles put on it). We're in a central urban area, so everything is local. Still, we want two cars, but it's the ole' "want vs logic" tug of war.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Hah, would love both. But don't want to spend that much. :/

It has been tempting though (to just splurge). We just put such little miles on our cars, we can technically get by with just one (which probably would still have pretty low miles put on it). We're in a central urban area, so everything is local. Still, we want two cars, but it's the ole' "want vs logic" tug of war.
You need transportation. The 911 is a toy. How about something hybrid? Seems you could get away with the range due to mileage. With tax incentives they are almost free.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

A bit lacking in the room department, but you should take a look at the Fiat 500 Abarth. You have no idea how much fun that little thing is until you drive it, and you can buy one for next to nothing.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,015 Posts

My second favorite driving car was my 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder. Only 138hp. 2000lbs, 5MT, mid-engine, 2 seater, red, convertible, no nannies.

It was a blast to drive. I wish I kept it. It looks a lot like my 981.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by subshooter
My second favorite driving car was my 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder. Only 138hp. 2000lbs, 5MT, mid-engine, 2 seater, red, convertible, no nannies.

It was a blast to drive. I wish I kept it. It looks a lot like my 981.
Haha, so funny. An MR2 was parked next to me (in the Mazda) last night and at first glance I almost thought it was a Boxster. Then it dawned on me.... WOW, Toyota used to make THAT amazing, illogical, mid engined masterpiece of fun! They ALSO made a Supra at the same time, once upon a time. Car manufacturers really let corporate greediness take over and stopped having fun. Which, no coincidence, is why every younger generation don’t find them (cars) as magical and aspirational as we did.

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
A bit lacking in the room department, but you should take a look at the Fiat 500 Abarth. You have no idea how much fun that little thing is until you drive it, and you can buy one for next to nothing.
Man. I saw Stout singing its praises too. It makes me REALLY interested in it, but it sounds so fun, quirky and engaging that it might dethrone the 911, lol. I would love one for the wife, but 2 small cars may be too much.

Still, you REALLY got me thinking (itching). Especially if it’s so cheap. Maybe a quick buy the seller?

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You need transportation. The 911 is a toy. How about something hybrid? Seems you could get away with the range due to mileage. With tax incentives they are almost free.
Exactly. My 911 is definitely given the toy designation. Hybrid could work. Pretty open. Though would like something as fun as the 3 for those boring DD drives (the 3 does liven them up a bit). Even used F10 prices are crazy cheap! Would be quite a value. But getting one with no warranty while the 911 will be without manufacturer warranty might be too much.

It’s funny. Between our (my) wants, desires and “don’t needs” / too much’s,” it’s like trying to fit the pieces of a puzzle JUST right.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mazdas are wonderful to drive. I had a Mazdaspeed 6 that I loved. It was my daily.

I guess your options are to lease a new 3, buy your current 3 (not a bad idea if the numbers work), a GTI (lease, do not buy, they are not as reliable as the 3's), or a Mini 4 door.

I enjoy driving the Minis more than any other small car this side of a Miata.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

In the 2nd/DD camp, I'm a sucker for Hondas - Civic Type R, or the new turbo 4 Accord with 6MT. Early reports are that the Accord is dialed in...can't believe I just said that.

cheers!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by pprj
The Mazdas are wonderful to drive. I had a Mazdaspeed 6 that I loved. It was my daily.

I guess your options are to lease a new 3, buy your current 3 (not a bad idea if the numbers work), a GTI (lease, do not buy, they are not as reliable as the 3's), or a Mini 4 door.

I enjoy driving the Minis more than any other small car this side of a Miata.
They really are! The interior of the facelifted 6 looks like a freaking 7 Series/S Class competitor. Maybe not seriously, but considering the price gap, F’ING CLOSE. Minis and Miatas are about as fun as it gets! Loved the RF. Felt like I was running, that’s how connected the car felt to me. Could be doing 20 around a turn and it was more fun than most newer cars doing 60 around the same turn. Much safer too.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
In the 2nd/DD camp, I'm a sucker for Hondas - Civic Type R, or the new turbo 4 Accord with 6MT. Early reports are that the Accord is dialed in...can't believe I just said that.

cheers!
Type R would be ideal if in budget (appliance grade with fun factor. Like a better WRX). Really?! Hadn’t heard that about the Accord. Will look into that. Can’t believe I’m saying that. The Accord Coupe looks better than the M-B C coupe imo. It looks almost BMW sedan-based-coupe good (imo amongst all BMW’s recent stumbles, they still can do a sedan-based-coupe better than anyone).
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...1&secureDesc=0
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=190E

Quick Reply: Had a lot of fun on the "twisties".... in my Mazda 3 sedan.