Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought CPO 911.1 GTS from dealer, found a bubble in a tire.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 PM
pixelist
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought CPO 911.1 GTS from dealer, found a bubble in a tire.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 PM
pixelist
Rennlist Member

Two days ago I bought a CPO 911.1 GTS from a local dealer with ~9500 miles on the ODO. Today I discovered a bubble on the right-front tire that I was sure I didn't cause. I then emailed my client advisor and made the issue known. The reply I received said "The bubble in the sidewall is troubling. Our technicians are handsomely paid to find safety and maintenance/warranty concerns on these vehicles during the certification process. It is in our best interest to replace a tire during certification and either this was missed or happened post-certification. Obviously, we cannot be certain as to the timeframe. Your safety is paramount to Hennessy Porsche; therefore, I would like to investigate this further. Would you please send me a picture of the bubble so I can discuss with our service department and the technician who certified vehicle?" About 20 minutes later, the CA replied again, saying he spoke with the General Manager who has kindly offered to replace the problematic tire for free. Soon after, I checked the original For Sale listing on the dealer's website, pulled up the photo of the right-front tire, and confirmed the bubble existed prior to purchase. I sent the photographic proof to my CA who reaffirmed they will be taking care of the tire. I have an appointment to get the tire replaced on Friday.

The car had ~9500 miles when I purchased it Saturday. The rear tires were replaced and are brand new. I'm told the front tires did not have enough wear to be replaced so they have the full 9500 miles on them. What is proper protocol for a CPO? if a service technician had found a bubble on the passenger front tire during the CPO process, would they have replaced both tires so the tread matches? Or is it typical fo replace just the problematic tire? Asking because I've always been led to believe that replacing tires in pairs is best (and safer). Should I push for two new tires? Do I have grounds to make that request? I just find it troubling that I will have two new rear tires, a new front-passenger side tire, then a driver's side tire with close to 10k miles on it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 PM
pixelist
Rennlist Member

Title says 911.1. I meant 991.1. Sorry about that. This is my first Porsche so I'm still learning.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You should replace both tires. Now, getting them to pay for both might be a stretch. Just pay for the second one and maybe they'll throw in the labor to install.

No way I'd put a new tire opposite one with 10K miles.

"Technicians handsomely paid" ... seriously? Your technician missed a frickin bubble that can been seen from a mile away idiot. Was probably busy texting when doing the inspection.

By the way, welcome to Rennlist.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM
pixelist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
You should replace both tires. Now, getting them to pay for both might be a stretch. Just pay for the second one and maybe they'll throw in the labor to install.

No way I'd put a new tire opposite one with 10K miles.

"Technicians handsomely paid" ... seriously? Your technician missed a frickin bubble that can been seen from a mile away idiot. Was probably busy texting when doing the inspection.

By the way, welcome to Rennlist.
I agree, thanks for the advice. Having a matching set is definitely best.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with STG. Have them go over the car again per the CPO procedure to ensure that nothing else was missed.

Beautiful car! Welcome to RL.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Pothole strike! That's the cause of that kind of bubble. I'd replace both fronts, use your negotiating skills....perhaps they will do the other one at dealer cost for the tire, and no labor charge. That would seem to be fair without coming across as greedy.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd press pretty hard for them to replace the other front tire too. If it was there when the car was advertised, it absolutely should have been taken care of before you took possession. In which case they would have paid.
If I were you I'd be throwing a fit about them putting your life at risk - what if you'd taken that car to the track?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would insist on two new tires at no cost to you.
Yes you absolutely have the right to request this.

If they did see the bubble in the initial certification, I am sure they would have replaced both front tires at that time. I can't imagine having 3 brand new tires and a fourth tire with about 10K miles.

Plus you have proof that they failed the CPO process and that you would like them to go through it once again to make sure nothing else was missed.

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

You should have no problem at all getting them both replaced under the CPO warranty as they should have been prior to delivery.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 AM
pixelist
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the feedback. I've emailed my CA. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
You should have no problem at all getting them both replaced under the CPO warranty as they should have been prior to delivery.

That's a good point, not like they would have only replaced one with the opposite one with only 10K miles. They are replacing it on good faith, but the picture he has is KEY here. It WAS there before delivery unfortunately. That's awesome it was evident in the picture.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

For CPO they should all be replaced with that mileage. Also - Handsomely paid.... you should ask the tech how they feel about that. Either way - since they are so concerned with full inspection... clearly they missed one tire so a case could be made that they didn't inspect any of them and owe you a set.

If you can... switch to Michelins.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If you go in with a nail and they need to replace one tire, they will tell you that you have to buy 2 new because they have to be replaced in pairs, so now you can tell them the same think
Old 02-21-2018, 11:20 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

What is the minimum tread depth that qualifies for a replacement to CPO?

It's CRAZY to replace one tire with the other one having little life left.

Quick Reply: Bought CPO 911.1 GTS from dealer, found a bubble in a tire.