Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I read the links provided above. Thanks for providing. In the last 3 months I have spend enough time to read this forum and I believe I have managed to get some of the Porsche feeling.

My understanding although I am quite new on Porsche cars.

If you want the best fun to drive daily 911 get a T with LWB, RAS and PCCBs. Anything more than these options is personal taste to the owner.

If you want the best NA 911 because you cannot get a GT2 RS, neither GT3 RS, get a GT3 or GT3T. Make sure you realise that these cars are 2 seats cars and you have a track close to your house.

If you wish to have a GT car with rear seats get a GTS. By adding LWB, RAS you are close to GT real cars (hopefully???).

If you have experience on Porsche cars most probably you will get a base 911 and you will save significant money for your next big project except you are on the category with GT2 RS/ GT3 RS/ GT3T.

I have not concluded where the S model is targeting. Obviously I need to study more.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideEwok
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I just saw this video on the 911T and it gets me excited. To get a 911 with Buckets and not have it be a GT car, something fun about that.

What are your thoughts on the 911T?

https://youtu.be/Da9NeukzE4U

Great video. I have watched it twice! My favourite motoring journalist.

The T? I liked it so much, I ordered one. Racing Yellow, and manual transmission, of course. Modest options added only representing about 4% of the base price of the car. Hopefully reaching me in the next 6-8 weeks. It will be my 4th Porsche and my second 991.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I like that journalist as well and think it's a good review. Though the "GT3 on a budget?" headline is hilarious clickbait. As he of course says in the review, of course not. Past inherent similarities, the two couldn't be any more different.

His take on the car pretty much seems to sum up a prediction similar to my own when I drive it. Great car, but the "when I first drove one of these [new Carreras], I stated it was the least '911 like 911' I've driven, and I still stand by that" line stands out to me. So, while a great product in its own right, not something that'll shift the needle for me, taking into consideration my tastes.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,060 Likes on 5,252 Posts

It's an overpriced base Carrera.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I like it.
I would rather spend the money for a GT3 T, but if there was no GT3, this would be the choice 911 to have for a fun secondary driver.

Price point should have been lower being a no frills example.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
If you want the best fun to drive daily 911 get a T with LWB, RAS and PCCBs.
IMO, LWBs are not best-suited to daily driving.
- LWBs are (IMO) more suited to a car you drive a couple of hours at a time for pure enjoyment.
- The lack of adjustment features mean that they
* either work for your body type or body needs (for example: lumbar support) or they don't
* can't be adjusted for different driving postures for different driving environments (for example: canyon carving vs. long distance highway cruising)

You will likely find some folks that agree with the above and some folks that think they are the best seats for all occasions ever.

That last statement begins to shine the light on what I think is one of the things that make Porsches special: the myriad options enable one to tailor-make a car. Unlike most other cars, you'll likely never see two Porsche sports cars that are identical. Any Porsche that is ordered by an individual - which is a lot of them - will have been spec'd with a unique set of options that reflect the buyer's individual wants, needs, and desires.

I have not concluded where the S model is targeting. Obviously I need to study more.
The S model targets the main-stream Porsche buyer. Once you are in the demographic characterized by the ability to throw down $100k+ - I'm using round numbers here - on a car that can't transport the entire family and all of the needed gear then there's not too much difference between $100k and $120k. So, for an extra $20k why not get more power, bigger brakes, and the ability to add even more (very-profitable-to-Porsche) options?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's an overpriced base Carrera.

I disagree.

It is clearly based on the 991.2 Carrera. If you added in all the 'extras' that the T has over the 'base' Carrera, were that possible, you'd spend all of the price differential.

Obviously, if you don't want things like PSE, SC, SPASM, Sports Seats Plus, GT steering wheel, 20" wheels, PTV with mechanically locking rear diff, SD mirrors etc, then don't buy the T, stick with the 'base' Carrera.

It is not a 911R lite or a GT3 lite, but it fills a (small) niche and will appeal to many.

It is no more an overpriced 'base' Carrera than a Carrera S is, or a GTS, it is just a different option.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Love the car. Love the idea of buckets in the car. Would not own. Buckets would get mildly old for me and wife would Bitch every time she got in and out which wouldn’t be often because of the seats. YMMV. If I was younger and single, I’d have them if I ordered a T.

all the more reason to get the lwb.... besides wouldn’t they count as ”more purist”?

Given they save additional 24 pounds, I’ll probably remove the motor for height adjustment ....

Quick Reply: 911 T - Thoughts?