Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, that didn't take long...

Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Three weeks into ownership of my '18 GTS, and bam. I am just sick to my stomach over this. Stopped in traffic this afternoon, and some lady comes barreling into the car behind me, which sends him into me, and me into the guy in front. I can't even describe what was and is going through my head. The guy in front of me apparently wasn't interested in talking to the cops, so that vehicle just took off. I'm not sure how, but the nose of my car somehow kind of tucked under his rear, and there is practically no indication of damage other than a lot of dirt transferred to the top of my bumper on the PPF, and the tow hook cover knocked askew, but it popped right back in. It's really kind of weird, as it felt like a lot more than a love tap, yet I can't see where even any of the PPF was damaged. All the gaps look normal, and not pushed in. Might have a dodged a bullet on that end, but who knows.

I wasn't so lucky on the rear end. That got pushed in about 3"-4" above the tailpipe. The bumper hit something hard enough to get lacerated where the arrows are. Looks like a new bumper and diffuser at a minimum. No telling what may have happened underneath.

The car behind me took the brunt of the hit, and an elderly lady in that vehicle went to the hospital with a lot of neck & chest pain, but everyone else seemed OK.

Finally, to add insult to injury, the person being charged for the accident has the same insurance company as me, so there goes any chance of having an advocate in the process on my side. This should be interesting.

That really sucks Gordon, I can’t imagine how you feel. The good news is the rear cover (and front if needed) can be replaced and you’ll never know that it ever happened. Good luck tomorrow, and good luck with your insurance.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
A few things.....first sorry this happened to you and glad you are physically fine. I have been through a lot...I mean a lot in my life, so something like this I find insignificant. Loose a wife, nearly loose your life....and come back and talk to me about a fender bender.
Second....all these assumptions about how the accident happened. We really do not know if they were texting or not paying attention....so why get upset over something if we really do not know how it happened.
Third, if I read correct, the person in front of you took off. Be happy about that, because you could have been blamed for not keeping a proper distance and whatever damage you did to him/her could be on you.
A year from now this will be forgotten....
Sorry if I sound insensitive but when you have been here as long as I have and seeing real tragedies....and I deal and work in a field where tragedies is a daily event.....a fender bender is just that ....a fender bender.

Best,
Abe
I think a lot of people have been through a lot. In fact I've lost a wife as well, but that doesn't mean you can't consider something like this significant. You don't sound insensitive, just presumptuous about the circumstances. The person taking off in front of me had nothing to do with the accident determination. I was dead stopped on the road as was the person behind me. The people ticketed were the two behind him.

Look, I don't think you are being insensitive, but I seriously don't need a lecture on tragedy. I know the difference between a tragedy and a fender bender.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

A few years ago I parked my 991 Cab and didn't set the parking brake or put it in gear (a serious "senior moment"). The car rolled backward about 30 feet into a brick wall at no more than a couple of miles per hour. $7500 to repair the bumper and right side exhaust system.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a lot of people have been through a lot. In fact I've lost a wife as well, but that doesn't mean you can't consider something like this significant. You don't sound insensitive, just presumptuous about the circumstances. The person taking off in front of me had nothing to do with the accident determination. I was dead stopped on the road as was the person behind me. The people ticketed were the two behind him.

Look, I don't think you are being insensitive, but I seriously don't need a lecture on tragedy. I know the difference between a tragedy and a fender bender.
This is a tragedy!! Especially looking at your spec from that one photo... did you purchase or lease? Please keep us posted!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So sorry to hear this man. That pic is brutal!

I know it's all in my head but people drive like complete retards when I'm in the 911. It's always the Porsche that has to eat it.

The carfax is gonna bite you in the ***. Have a dealer quote you a "trade in" price because "you no longer are interested in keeping the car as it's tainted". Then go after your insurance for diminished value. It's only fair.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
A few things.....first sorry this happened to you and glad you are physically fine. I have been through a lot...I mean a lot in my life, so something like this I find insignificant. Loose a wife, nearly loose your life....and come back and talk to me about a fender bender.
Second....all these assumptions about how the accident happened. We really do not know if they were texting or not paying attention....so why get upset over something if we really do not know how it happened.
Third, if I read correct, the person in front of you took off. Be happy about that, because you could have been blamed for not keeping a proper distance and whatever damage you did to him/her could be on you.
A year from now this will be forgotten....
Sorry if I sound insensitive but when you have been here as long as I have and seeing real tragedies....and I deal and work in a field where tragedies is a daily event.....a fender bender is just that ....a fender bender.

Best,
Abe
Yeah you sound insensitive and completely tone deaf. I have been shocked over a dozen times with a defibrillator and have lost loved ones, too, but you don't see me coming into a thread and crapping all over someone else's misfortune. He has a right to be upset over this and I certainly feel his pain.

When my car was hit and totaled by a 17 year old girl that wasn't paying attention, you better believe I was upset. Not mad (surprisingly) but still pretty upset. Sure, it's just a car but it is also a hobby for me. I drive safely and do have an expectation that others will as well. I have been without a 911 for six months now because it has taken a while for an ordered car. Going through the insurance and body shop process to get resolution is never a fun prospect.

Hope the OP gets his car repaired to his satisfaction and glad that he is alright.

Last edited by Hurricane; 02-20-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Please ignore his comment. Some people should really think before they post. You have every right to be upset about this. Hope you get it fixed as soon as possible and am still glad you are okay!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Sorry if I sound insensitive but when you have been here as long as I have and seeing real tragedies....

Best,
Abe
I thought Cain took care of you a long time ago?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm just kind of relying on, or hoping if you will, that the fact it was a secondary collision may have dampened the impact enough to make it superficial damage only requiring some parts. There was no speed related rolling inertia, as the guy behind me was stopped, and absorbed all that. Not sure how much of that was transferred to me (where's Isaac Newton when you need him), but hopefully not enough to do deep damage. I looked under there and felt around found some pretty sharp edges where the bumper was lacerated through, so it wouldn't take a huge impact to cause that, and the bumper did pop back at those points. Just the bottom from the Sunshine State on the plate to the top of the exhaust stayed rolled in.

I called the dealership, and they going to take a look at it tomorrow to prime me for the insurance adjusters. I have a very good rapport with those guys. They like me for some reason. I choose to believe it is because of my sparkling personality, and not my wallet.
I had this happen to me with my (former) Macan Turbo . I went the next day to the dealership with a sore neck and a crashed car and traded in the car in crashed condition ,.I called my insurance company and asked for their help. The dealership held the car a few days and an adjuster gave them a check and they refunded me that portion of the trade in . I picked a car right off the lot and had an immediate replacement car . Now it true that I had ordered the Macan (waited three months ) and the lot car lacked a few options but it's 30K miles later and I would do it again in a second . The crashed car would have never been the same , and would have had a bad carfax . Ironically the gap between the refunded money added to the trade placed the car only about 3K under wholesale (that would have been diminished value.. I did not ask fora cent of it . I simply moved on). Pics below of the accident, the lot, and me picking the car I replaced it with the next day.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh so sorry to hear that. Car was so new. You're ok car can be fixed, good luck today. Not to criticize drivers in Fl
but they suck. Just moved to Naples for the winter from Mass and people drive down here like crap. I thought
Mass drivers were bad. Fl really needs to ticket drivers that text and drive, I see that so much down here.

Good luck on the fix.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Oh so sorry to hear that. Car was so new. You're ok car can be fixed, good luck today. Not to criticize drivers in Fl
but they suck. Just moved to Naples for the winter from Mass and people drive down here like crap. I thought
Mass drivers were bad. Fl really needs to ticket drivers that text and drive, I see that so much down here.

Good luck on the fix.
Well . there are so many crazy drivers in Miami that even if they had their license revoked they would probably still continue to drive . I often wonder if that's why the judges dont revoke many of them . At least if they have a license the courts can find the person.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Well . there are so many crazy drivers in Miami that even if they had their license revoked they would probably still continue to drive . I often wonder if that's why the judges dont revoke many of them . At least if they have a license the courts can find the person.
In Dallas they take peoples' cars now. The impound lots are full. Their problem was not only no insurance, but undocumented immigrants hitting people and the victim having no recourse or way to pursue damages.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:19 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sorry to hear this, I can only imagine how terrible you are feeling. Hope it get resolved without too much stress for you.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Sorry to about your plight, it's a sickening feeling! Good luck with the repairs and be sure to use a Porsche Approved Collision Center (PACC) for all repairs. Unfortunately given that you share the same insurer with the 'at fault' driver, a diminished value claim might be tricky. That said, I would still hire an attorney and pursue one! Oh and you have every right to be upset about the incident...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I am sorry to hear this, it is my worst fear driving my car on the street. I am so concerned about it that I have almost given up driving my semi street legal car on the the street anymore. I suspect that you will have a bit more damage than you are expecting. Besides the bumper cover, diffuser, muffler and tailpipes, the bumper itself will be compromised and possible damage to connecting parts of the frame have been pushed. Here is a thread with exactly this type of issue that will explain how these parts are all inter connected https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html. My advice is to be sure you go to a Certified Porsche Repair facility, they will spare no expense in restoring your car to new car spec's. The diminished value claim will be tougher, but this is the risk we take driving anywhere. Personally, I would feel better being hit from behind by an elderly person than some A-hole on a cell phone.
Same happened to me a while back in my 991S...dude just backed into my front end while leaving the Bellagio in Vegas....said oh it'll buff right out for a couple of hundred dollars right? Yeah right..Ended up being about $8k worth of repairs after the shop took a look underneath the sheet metal. Had pushed quite a few things out of line in my front end/fender and hood assembly that shouldn't be that way and weren't that way from the factory. Also scratched one of my front headlights. So agree..make sure you take it to a recommended Porsche Collision repair shop and let them open it up to see what actually may be damaged!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9456...-question.html
Originally Posted by stealthboy
That sucks man. Just make sure you get a second opinion on damage. Someone backed into our Macan S, and at first the damage adjuster just wanted to replace the license plate frame. Took it to a reputable body shop and it turned out to be a lot more - $1500 of work. The adjuster came out and agreed with their assessment. It looks just like new now, BTW. Don't worry, it'll be fixed - just make sure you fight to make sure all damage is inspected!
Fight and diminished value will be interesting for you for sure. Never had mine adjudicated in my favor. Meanwhile I'll just drive and enjoy it!

PS...Glad that you are okay. You cannot be replaced. Car can!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 02-21-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, that didn't take long...