Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too weird to wish that my 991.1 had...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018 | 09:04 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Coming from a 997.2 , I can’t tell you how much more comfortable my 991.2 is. Especially entering and exiting. Albeit I’m only 50 miles in. ��
Old 02-20-2018 | 09:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I was in Frankfurt for the 991's debut. I remember looking at it and thinking it was too big. Then I left all of then hullabaloo and ended up sitting with a very early 911 at the factory stand, wearing a front plate that said "ur-911." I looked at it for a long time, and came to the conclusion that the 991 was the right size for a 911 in this day and age (especially when you compare it to marketplace rivals like BMW's 6, etc)—but that there was space for another 901-sized or maybe 993-sized Porsche. I still think that's true.

My 914 is wonderfully sized, but I wouldn't want to live with it as a daily car for a lot of reasons—comfort, safety, and its archaic nature all being high on that list. Time has moved on.

The 997 is a bit better sized in my view than the 991, but the 991 has more space in back for my daughter and, in base form, presents strong value. But the car my mind keeps coming back to is our 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. I replaced it with a GT4, then moved to a 991.2 to regain rear seats. To be honest, if the Abarth had more rear crumple zone, I would have another one. It was a flawed car, but also one of the most fun cars I have owned at any price. Maybe even the most fun in daily use. Just genius in its packaging and in the way it made you smile—and other people smile. It fit in places and parked in places where I'd think twice about squeezing a 991 into, or leaving a 991 in. It taught me that a tidy package can be its own luxury. I dearly wish Porsche would make a sports car the size of the Abarth (maybe a tad longer and obviously lower in terms of roof height!), or maybe a car the size of the Miata. To me, even the 718 is too big for a two-seater. Where the 996 was compromised because its size was dictated by the higher-volume 986 (which led to the 987/997 ratio), the compromise seems to have shifted the other way now...with the 991 sized right for its market sphere while the 981/982 is pretty big for a two-seat car.

"Bad for the brand," is a common refrain when it comes to the idea or a sport car under the Boxster/Cayman, which is funny given that there are now more four-door lines than sports-car lines. That and the fact that Porsche's previous entry-level sports cars, the 912, 914, 924, 944, 986, etc weren't bad for the brand. Some of them—if not all of them—arguably saved it, and certainly made a lot of converts who went on to buy more expensive Porsches later on.
Old 02-20-2018 | 10:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

IMO, in this day and age, there isn't a sports car that Porsche can make that would be "bad for the brand." ANY sign that they're still pumping purist blood into said brand by ensuring it's one of the only brands in the universe who's dealers you can pass by whilst looking at a plethora of exotic little mid/rear engine corner carvers, is a great one. When you pass by a Porsche dealer even now, it's like an event. There's no mistaking that this is a special, exclusive, and enthusiast driven brand separate from all the other appliance grade ho-hum 4 door brands. All those low slung coupes and verts tell you that.

Mind you, I know even that image has shifted as you pass by Porsche dealers now and see a sea of SUV's. But EVEN now, compared to every other brand, minus a very select few, those sports cars within a still succinct and small lineup of cars set them apart from everyone and everything.

What's "bad for the brand?" Another 4 door, or SUV, meant to chase volume.
Old 02-21-2018 | 01:02 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gearFX
The 981 and 991 aren't that different in size length-wise, so are you referring to width or another dimension? (Or are you specifically referring to cabin size?)

Since I haven't driven a 981, I can't comment on that. Today I took my 991S up and down the highway 1, north of San Francisco. For those who know the area, there is a nice stretch of unbroken pavement past Pt. Reyes Station all the way through Marshall. Thankfully, there was no much traffic and the locals will pull over (unlike the tourists) when they see me behind. The 991 does indeed feels powerful and willing to assault the road. I know it is kind of taboo to say here how much I enjoyed the pdk blipping the engine when downshifting. I do remember also driving the same road in the 987 Boxster. That was a base one, with barely 200 HP, and none of the PASM stuff. Even so, it felt lighter attacking the same road. It is a feel that I can't quantify

Thank you everyone for your responses. I know the 991 has become the tool to fight the other cars in the $100K segment. It does that quite well. Maybe it is me who wishfully wants my first love back
Old 02-21-2018 | 01:05 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Since I haven't driven a 981, I can't comment on that. Today I took my 991S up and down the highway 1, north of San Francisco. For those who know the area, there is a nice stretch of unbroken pavement past Pt. Reyes Station all the way through Marshall. Thankfully, there was no much traffic and the locals will pull over (unlike the tourists) when they see me behind. The 991 does indeed feels powerful and willing to assault the road. I know it is kind of taboo to say here how much I enjoyed the pdk blipping the engine when downshifting. I do remember also driving the same road in the 987 Boxster. That was a base one, with barely 200 HP, and none of the PASM stuff. Even so, it felt lighter attacking the same road. It is a feel that I can't quantify

Thank you everyone for your responses. I know the 991 has become the tool to fight the other cars in the $100K segment. It does that quite well. Maybe it is me who wishfully wants my first love back
I know those roads well, and live very close to them. It is hard to beat a 987 on them.

The good news? 987s are cheap...
Old 02-21-2018 | 11:49 AM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A
What's "bad for the brand?" Another 4 door, or SUV, meant to chase volume.
Along with the 996, those SUVs have enabled Porsche to keep it's doors open. They have also allowed them to build Ferrari performance-matching performance and technology way less than the price of a Ferrari. Is it worth enduring looking at some really nice-looking SUVs on the road and in a dealer so that you can buy your 911 for $100K vs. $250K? Could you even buy one then?

Have you even driven one of those SUVs? For some of us with kids or hobbies that require a lot more space than a sports car I think it it incredible that I can have 80% of the feel of my 911. It is way better option than having to drive in a huge pickup truck.
Old 02-21-2018 | 11:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by KM1959
Along with the 996, those SUVs have enabled Porsche to keep it's doors open. They have also allowed them to build Ferrari performance-matching performance and technology way less than the price of a Ferrari. Is it worth enduring looking at some really nice-looking SUVs on the road and in a dealer so that you can buy your 911 for $100K vs. $250K? Could you even buy one then?

Have you even driven one of those SUVs? For some of us with kids or hobbies that require a lot more space than a sports car I think it it incredible that I can have 80% of the feel of my 911. It is way better option than having to drive in a huge pickup truck.
Trust me, I had a Macan S and have written countless words on its praises.

I think right now Porsche have the perfect balance. Adding MORE would start the dilution process thus sacrifice brand integrity/cachet/uniqueness/aspirational value and go into volume-chaser/boardroom numbers greed mode (which btw, CEO Blume said that Porsche will NOT be chasing volume as they’re happy with their balance and want to focus on keeping the brand valuable). Whether that’s lip service or not, we’ll find out. But hopefully he’s being honest. I love the Macan. Though, I think the VW-engine powered 4 cylinder was already a step too far in sacrificing integrity. But as long as that’s as low as they go, I think they’ll be good on the model offering to brand cachet front.
Old 02-21-2018 | 11:59 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959

I think the other poster qualified his statement with "meant to chase volume." I am ok with Porsche making Cayennes and Macans so long as they give you that driving dynamics that can't be found elsewhere. I enjoy driving my torquey CD as much as the 911, but for different tasks. And there is a Cayenne at the local PCA that is driven so enthusiastically that some of the sports cars can't keep up with her (yup, a female driver).

Anyway, you are right. If the SUVs and Panameras mean a more affordable sports car, so be it. Is it my understanding that from now forward, the only Porsche-developed engines are those in the sports cars? The rest are Audi sourced?
Old 02-21-2018 | 12:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

987 Boxster. That was a base one, with barely 200 HP, and none of the PASM stuff.
I don't mean to quibble but I believe the base 987 initially had 240hp and the S 280hp. It never felt underpowered to me, though certainly both could have easily handled more power. The 320-ish hp of the 987 Spyder felt wonderful in that platform. I even had a 986 SE with 264hp and it was a delight. Those were very lively cars to enjoy in the mountains. It was really only around town they started feeling a little underpowered to me.
Old 02-21-2018 | 12:47 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I don't mean to quibble
You are right. Hoped no one would not notice after I wrote it. I meant torque, 199 to be precise. So, you had to actually rev it high and hope the IMS could take it (early 987.1 which still had that issue)
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:35 PM
911seeker
Pro

Originally Posted by gearFX
The 981 and 991 aren't that different in size length-wise, so are you referring to width or another dimension? (Or are you specifically referring to cabin size?)

if this graphic were accurate, the 911 would have a shorter wheelbase than the cayman... ?????????
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:48 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Yes, it does. Think about it -- there's no motor between the wheels.

981 WB: 97.4"
991 WB: 96.5
Old 02-21-2018 | 07:56 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Today I took my 991S up and down the highway 1, north of San Francisco. For those who know the area, there is a nice stretch of unbroken pavement past Pt. Reyes Station all the way through Marshall. Thankfully, there was no much traffic and the locals will pull over (unlike the tourists) when they see me behind. The 991 does indeed feels powerful...

I had to re-read the above, as of course in the UK, the pavement is what the pedestrians walk on (your sidewalk).

Just imagining your 991S tearing up the pavement at high speed and scattering the startled pedestrians hither and thither...!!
Old 02-21-2018 | 11:03 PM
DanQ
Pro

Originally Posted by StormRune
...snip..
The 991.1 is the same width and slightly shorter in height than the 997. The 991 is a tad lighter, weighing in a 56 pounds less in narrow-body form.

Yes, it is 1.2 inches longer (0.7% longer) but that alone I think most would have trouble seeing the difference. I think it is the 4 inch longer wheelbase and the 20" wheels that make it look bigger perhaps, but the longer wheelbase brings improved ride and stability and the suspension is tuned to handle the 20" wheels just fine.

You can argue the aesthetics of design details all you want, but I don't think the arguments about it being a bigger beast are correct unless you think 0.7% longer validates that side of the argument. Then I'd argue that being slightly shorter and lighter makes it smaller. Here are the real stats:

997.2: Width: 71.2 (72.9 wide body) Length: 175.6 Height: 51.2 Wheelbase: 92.5 Curb Weight: 3131 (3157 wide body)
991.1: Width: 71.2 (72.9 wide body) Length: 176.8 Height: 51.0 Wheelbase: 96.5 Curb Weight: 3075 (3153 wide body)

I was feeling nostalgic about my old 993 before I bought the 991. I also thought the older air cooled cars were much smaller, and they are by 8" in length. However, they weigh almost the same. I thought the added wheelbase and space for almost no added weight was a great improvement. Not to mention the extra 118 hp!

993: Width: 68.3 (70.7 wide body) Length: 167.7 Height: 51.8 Wheelbase: 89.4 Curb Weight: 3020 (3064 wide body)manual. 3075 (3120 wide body) tip
Old 02-22-2018 | 10:38 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, it does. Think about it -- there's no motor between the wheels.

981 WB: 97.4"
991 WB: 96.5
^ This.

The 981 is not as small as everyone thinks it is. The lack of rear seat and mid engine design change the proportions a bit to make it seem smaller than it really is.

Had a buddy with a 981S recently come by the other day and we had both cars next to each other. The 991S was a tad bit larger but we were both shocked that is wasn't by as much as we both expected.

Porsche managed to make the 981 feel smaller than it really is and also make the 991 feel larger than it really is lol...

I really think it has to do a lot with the interior design. The 991 interior feels huge compared to the 997 and 981.

Quick Reply: Am I too weird to wish that my 991.1 had...