Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you sell your 991 in Bring a Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 12:40 PM
cogsurp
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
That's AMAZING!!

Nice write up as well.

I am going to subscribe just for being intrigued. How large is your data base on the 991.2s?
Thanks for subscribing! Since you're now a customer, I sent along a dataset of all the 991 911's that have ever sold on BringATrailer with my estimates/projections, and all the details you'd likely be interested in - check your mail!
Old 05-06-2020, 04:44 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

Ohhh you just tickled my fancy - me too! Started as a quant in the HFT days, but I guess quant is a dirty word now?

Thank you for the link, it's much appreciated and will give me something to do during meetings

Originally Posted by cogsurp
I have a copy of the entirety of BringATrailer's auction history alongside all bids and comments. In my day job I'm a data scientist / machine learning engineer. I took all the data and built a bunch of machinery around it to build a time-series set of models that are trained to predict the high/med/low of the auction's final sale price at a given point in time. Now, that all results in even more data on top of the dataset I grabbed already. Together, those two datasets form the basis of the results in that CSV. There's a little writeup on this page (https://batpredictor.cognitivesurpl.us/?signup=bulk, click "See Dataset Features") that explains the columns a bit better. I think under the hood, the model uses probably... 200 features? A big set of them is just word vector space models for the text of comments / the post itself though.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Bob815
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
I apologize if this was already mentioned, PCAR MARKET is a popular auction house.

I have seen a few 991's in there, mostly Turbos & GT3s.
I just bought a GTS from PCAR Market. Definitely less viewers / bidders than BaT.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I always wondered why they don't do Panameras? They have some wacky stuff on there and loads of P-cars, interesting policy.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm going through my first Bring-A-Trailer experience now. We're selling our 1998 z3 that has been in our family since new. My parents bought this car new as a present to themselves after I graduated college and got out of the house. I bought it from them last year. This year my girls are done college (or at least we wrote our last tuition check) and I bought myself (or more accurately my wife allowed me us to purchase) our 991.2 Cab so I'm passing the Z3 on to the next famiy.

So far it has been a mainly positive experience. It took a little longer to get the car up for sale than I expected (a little over 2 weeks from time of acceptance). The process is you submit your car with as much documentation and pictures as you have. They review and approve / reject. I submitted this car a while back with a hefty reserve and got rejected, so when I re-submitted this time I went no reserve, I'm sure the chance of sale makes a difference to them. From there I paid the $99 listing fee and waited for their 'auction manager' to get in touch. This was the only period that felt 'blind'. It would be really helpful if they provided a more clear schedule of next steps when you pay the listing fee. Basically I got only automated responses from them for about 10 days. Once my auction manager got to my listing things progressed well. They request any missing information and draft the listing. You reveiw it, suggest edits and when you're happy approve it. From there the auction went live the next day (there may be more delays in this step for some people). So far, the comments section has been primarily positive, but you really need to stay engaged and know the car well. The community there can quickly turn sour if false / misleading info is portrayed in the listing. I've had a few people reach out to me to see if I'd sell it off auction, which I declined. From a speed of sale at good market price standpoint, it seems like the place to sell an interesting car.

My auction has been live for 2 days so far. I'm nervously optomistic that the gavel will fall at a good sale price, but we'll see. For anyone interested, here is my link:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-z3-23/

BAT also got me looking in earnest for a 991.2 cab. I was the losing bidder on this car back in November '19 https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...a-4-cabriolet/ and it ultimately set me on my quest to find the car I have now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh(PA):
Catharpin (05-07-2020), daddyscar (05-09-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
I'm going through my first Bring-A-Trailer experience now. We're selling our 1998 z3 that has been in our family since new. My parents bought this car new as a present to themselves after I graduated college and got out of the house. I bought it from them last year. This year my girls are done college (or at least we wrote our last tuition check) and I bought myself (or more accurately my wife allowed me us to purchase) our 991.2 Cab so I'm passing the Z3 on to the next famiy.

So far it has been a mainly positive experience. It took a little longer to get the car up for sale than I expected (a little over 2 weeks from time of acceptance). The process is you submit your car with as much documentation and pictures as you have. They review and approve / reject. I submitted this car a while back with a hefty reserve and got rejected, so when I re-submitted this time I went no reserve, I'm sure the chance of sale makes a difference to them. From there I paid the $99 listing fee and waited for their 'auction manager' to get in touch. This was the only period that felt 'blind'. It would be really helpful if they provided a more clear schedule of next steps when you pay the listing fee. Basically I got only automated responses from them for about 10 days. Once my auction manager got to my listing things progressed well. They request any missing information and draft the listing. You reveiw it, suggest edits and when you're happy approve it. From there the auction went live the next day (there may be more delays in this step for some people). So far, the comments section has been primarily positive, but you really need to stay engaged and know the car well. The community there can quickly turn sour if false / misleading info is portrayed in the listing. I've had a few people reach out to me to see if I'd sell it off auction, which I declined. From a speed of sale at good market price standpoint, it seems like the place to sell an interesting car.

My auction has been live for 2 days so far. I'm nervously optomistic that the gavel will fall at a good sale price, but we'll see. For anyone interested, here is my link:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-z3-23/

BAT also got me looking in earnest for a 991.2 cab. I was the losing bidder on this car back in November '19 https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...a-4-cabriolet/ and it ultimately set me on my quest to find the car I have now.

That is one CLEAN BMW!!! Very nice!

Once it sells I'm curious of the reserve you originally wanted to use.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
I always wondered why they don't do Panameras? They have some wacky stuff on there and loads of P-cars, interesting policy.
because the panamera is pure evil.

it's a:
-4 door
-front engine
-v8
-water cooled
-automatic transmission

abomination to all that is porsche.

just kidding. have a nice day.
The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (05-10-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:58 PM
Harrry
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've sold several cars on there as well. It seems Porsche's have a hit or miss type of audience. (at least with newer models)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:18 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
because the panamera is pure evil.

it's a:
-4 door
-front engine
-v8
-water cooled
-automatic transmission

abomination to all that is porsche.

just kidding. have a nice day.
Man harsh... I had one LOL
Old 05-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I doubt they would take it. It’s mainly for unusual cars.
Lots of unusual vehicles for sure but I followed a 2020 G63 that sold for big money yesterday; however, I do not consider that an unusual one. And I followed a gated Yellow 360 today but it sold for more than I thought it was worth. Regardless, it is a great place to see lots of neat rides.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:09 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Ok, although it is a 997, I am going to follow the auction. The price predictor states, that as of today May 7, it will sell at $46,529.94, an amount that would disappoint the 997.2 people. Lets see what happens in five days.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrry
I've sold several cars on there as well. It seems Porsche's have a hit or miss type of audience. (at least with newer models)
How does the post auction sale portion work? Does BAT transfer funds and help coordinate shipping, etc. or is it 100% between the buyer and seller?
Old 05-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
How does the post auction sale portion work? Does BAT transfer funds and help coordinate shipping, etc. or is it 100% between the buyer and seller?
there is nothing from BaT post sale. Zero. Nada. You’re on your own - that’s my disappointment with their system. If something goes bad or funky and you contact them, radio silence.... 100% between you and buyer.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:24 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Ok, although it is a 997, I am going to follow the auction. The price predictor states, that as of today May 7, it will sell at $46,529.94, an amount that would disappoint the 997.2 people. Lets see what happens in five days.
Well, that car sold for $48,888. I guess the AI was off by $2,000 or so. I think there is a 991 for sale now. Let me see how much does the predictor predicts
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

The predictor says this car should bring $24,757.44

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-porsche-911-23/

Quick Reply: Would you sell your 991 in Bring a Trailer?