Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you sell your 991 in Bring a Trailer?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by stout
Huh. Wouldn't have thought it, given the interest in other Porsches there. Maybe the 991's time is "yet to come."
It looks like after 992 comes into production.

But thanks for all the answers. I thought it was a good alternative forum to Ebay. Anyway, I'll check other methods when the time comes. Just enjoy reading the comments in BaT
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold my 2013 base 991 on Cars.com in 3 days for just what I was asking. The owner of my previous 1995 993 just sold it on BaT to a buyer in Germany.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 PM
ncm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This 2016 991.1, 7MT, red, very low optioned, 1100 miles, odd history, sold for $72500.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-911-carrera/

There was at least one better deal on Rennlist at the time as I recall. I think BaT buyer pays 5% fee on top, so that's $76k plus pickup/shipping, sight unseen.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:23 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I sold a GT4 there, and it was a good experience—though it is a very focused crowd. I did so after thinking a Rennlister was crazy for selling his GT4 on BaT, only to see it do very well. Turns out the GT4 is something of a hero car on BaT, and looks like strong value against $60-80k 993s with 50,000-100,000 miles. However, I am not sure I would try to sell a 991 Carrera-line car unless there was something very special about it (PTS might not even be enough). Upside to BaT is you've got a lot of really good eyeballs with wherewithal. Downside to BaT is the eyeballs are super discerning and generally interested in older cars rather than new ones.

The best people to ask are BaT themselves. I've found them very responsive, and they know their market better than anyone here.
Hmmm... didn't realize you sold yours on BaT, Pete. I didn't think this guy did so well on his, though. [Failed to meet reserve of 88.5k, stalling just under $84,500, and BaT kicked in 4000 or so to get to reserve so the deal would close. Seller was expecting much more.] Glad you were happy with your results, Pete.

GT4 Sells on BaT
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmm... didn't realize you sold yours on BaT, Pete. I didn't think this guy did so well on his, though. [Failed to meet reserve of 88.5k, stalling just under $84,500, and BaT kicked in 4000 or so to get to reserve so the deal would close. Seller was expecting much more.] Glad you were happy with your results, Pete.

GT4 Sells on BaT

Yes, watched that auction, and it seemed to me that the aftermarket wing uprights, dirty door sill, and so-so photos conspired against the car. But $88-89k on a car with 13,000 miles wasn't bad, the only bummer for him being that his MSRP was higher.

The winning bidder on my GT4 paid about MSRP, or just a little more, and I had no problem with BaT getting its fee from that. They were super professional, and made the process fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my 14,700 miles in the car, so had it gone for $10k less, it still would have been good value in my book—although I am not bummed it went for what it did. Only funny thing was the car hit reserve on the second day and then, despite a lot of views and a lot of discussion, not a single bid came in on the last day. Maybe people did the math and didn't want to pay over MSRP on a car with real miles.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

You should have advertised the provenance of the car. I'd pay a premium to own a Stout car .

Last edited by Freddie Two Bs; 02-19-2018 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stout (05-02-2020)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I think its a good place to sell for certain brands and vintage cars, Porsche not so much.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:36 PM
cogsurp
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed this thread about pricing on BringATrailer and thought I'd weigh in with some results from a tool I built that was recently featured in The Drive (https://www.thedrive.com/news/33232/...azing-accuracy). If you want to get a good sense for the BAT market you should give my tool a spin https://batpredictor.cognitivesurpl.us/. I also attached some summary data about *all* historical Porsche sales that I could yank from my tool as a CSV for you guys if that helps knowing the historical price ranges.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
porsche_data.csv (5.5 KB, 33 views)
gearFX (05-03-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:02 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

Curious about your forecasting approach - how are you doing this? Are you using only the features listed in the csv file or do you have a different set of data you're using to forecast with?

Originally Posted by cogsurp
I noticed this thread about pricing on BringATrailer and thought I'd weigh in with some results from a tool I built that was recently featured in The Drive (https://www.thedrive.com/news/33232/...azing-accuracy). If you want to get a good sense for the BAT market you should give my tool a spin https://batpredictor.cognitivesurpl.us/. I also attached some summary data about *all* historical Porsche sales that I could yank from my tool as a CSV for you guys if that helps knowing the historical price ranges.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:10 PM
cogsurp
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Curious about your forecasting approach - how are you doing this? Are you using only the features listed in the csv file or do you have a different set of data you're using to forecast with?
I have a copy of the entirety of BringATrailer's auction history alongside all bids and comments. In my day job I'm a data scientist / machine learning engineer. I took all the data and built a bunch of machinery around it to build a time-series set of models that are trained to predict the high/med/low of the auction's final sale price at a given point in time. Now, that all results in even more data on top of the dataset I grabbed already. Together, those two datasets form the basis of the results in that CSV. There's a little writeup on this page (https://batpredictor.cognitivesurpl.us/?signup=bulk, click "See Dataset Features") that explains the columns a bit better. I think under the hood, the model uses probably... 200 features? A big set of them is just word vector space models for the text of comments / the post itself though.
LargePuppy (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

Generally speaking it's a great place to sell - a terrible one to buy... Just based on personal experience - I made probably 10K over what I'd have thought of asking in a private sale of my old Alfa. Once the car is sold, though, "you are on your own buddy". No communications from Bat even when the seller is doign fishy stuff, no protection, nothing... so it's not like a real auction in terms of paperwork checking or payment...

I say "terrible to buy" because everyone knows about BaT now - and given sheer #s, there will never be a deal there, there will always be one idiot with deeper pockets that knows nothing about market values or that car and decide he wants that car... So selling yes, not much risk.. Buying is fine, but no deals, it's just math..

Be ready for them to change/massacre your description copy, to take a while to get back to you and start the auction, to try to negociate your reserve down (or flat out deny your car), etc... Also the key to a good sale is to be responsive to the comments, and try VERY HARD not to respond flippantly to stupid question. And there will be *really* stupid questions !
But I'm happy with the sale achieved, most everyone is.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I apologize if this was already mentioned, PCAR MARKET is a popular auction house.

I have seen a few 991's in there, mostly Turbos & GT3s.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cogsurp
That's AMAZING!!

Nice write up as well.

I am going to subscribe just for being intrigued. How large is your data base on the 991.2s?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

2011 C4S on BAT.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-4s-2/
Old 05-05-2020, 08:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
That's a 997

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you sell your 991 in Bring a Trailer?