Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What about your 991 do you enjoy and/or desire most?
Handling/Grip
72.90%
Sound
49.53%
Design
65.42%
Braking
29.91%
Comfort & Refinement
31.78%
Driver to Car Connection
62.62%
Tech
6.54%
MPG
1.87%
Acceleration
49.53%
Top Speed
2.80%
Lap Time
5.61%
Chassis Balance
32.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

What *4* things about your 991 are most important, enjoyable and desirable to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

I also remember the video where they tested a 981 Boxster S with all the handling options on track against a base 991.1 with no handling options and base wheels. Although the Boxster even looked more fun to drive and neutral on track, the 911 turned better times and stats everywhere.
Yes, but the Carrera still had 35 extra horsepower. With 12% more power (and 8% more torks) it's really hard to judge the relative handling prowess of the two based on lap times.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-17-2018, 01:08 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I blindly filled in my top 4 for why I like my 911 (without doing the poll) but I found it interesting when I did the same exercise for my 981. Two totally different cars

Your comments are interesting. A mid-engine is always going to handle better than a rear engine car though. That is why every F1, Le Mans and super car is a mid-engine. The last 911 to win Le Mans was a GT1 - a mid-engine 911. The mid-engine cars wont brake as well or accelerate as well coming out of turns but overall, it is a better handling car. Your experience is likely a reflection of the better suspension of the 3/RS and not the engine placement. I routinely drive my 981 and 991.2 back to back on the same circuit and the 981 handles better overall. As for spinning, you are spot on. Once the mid-engine cars break loose, they spin like a top. The 911s are much easier to correct out of a spin because the "mass moment of inertia" works in your favor to correct the spin with only mild driver input.

What I love most is the unique "unbalanced" feel of a 911. Yes, it has a rear bias, but that feels more engaging and special in a very entertaining way. Mid engine designs, still with some rear bias, can be fabulous fun, in a precise and neat style, but not like a 911.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 AM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyday usability, or versatility, should be in the poll. The back seats (for kids) and small amount of storage behind the front seats makes my GTS a viable everyday car.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
What I love most is the unique "unbalanced" feel of a 911. Yes, it has a rear bias, but that feels more engaging and special in a very entertaining way. Mid engine designs, still with some rear bias, can be fabulous fun, in a precise and neat style, but not like a 911.
EXCELLENT way of putting it. Exactly the words I was trying to find.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, but the Carrera still had 35 extra horsepower. With 12% more power (and 8% more torks) it's really hard to judge the relative handling prowess of the two based on lap times.
True.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Great poll idea. These characteristics listed above define our choices for a sports car and at least for me were what brought me to Porsche three 911s back.
Now going at the next level these are another 4 features (obviously not listed in the poll) which for me determined my choice within 911 lineup.
1. NA engine (sorry all you FI lovers out there, but have to stay honest ) with PowerKit
2. MT - the one with 3 pedals
3. RWD
4. Wide body coupe

1-3 were a must whilst I really love the wide body too.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Great poll idea. These characteristics listed above define our choices for a sports car and at least for me were what brought me to Porsche three 911s back.
Now going at the next level these are another 4 features (obviously not listed in the poll) which for me determined my choice within 911 lineup.
1. NA engine (sorry all you FI lovers out there, but have to stay honest ) with PowerKit
2. MT - the one with 3 pedals
3. RWD
4. Wide body coupe

1-3 were a must whilst I really love the wide body too.
Here here. The results are a great testament to what Porsche 911 owners still want out of our cars, indeed.

I hear ya. N/A is the catalyst behind many of my favorite aspects about a 911, and just a must for me as well. Also, as much as I love PDK, often I REALLY do wish I had a manual. I could've added more categories, but I feel like a lot of those options do entail those specifics you mention as well. For example, manual lovers will score "connection" likely even higher than PDK drivers. N/A enthusiasts on average will likely score "sound" as a higher priority than turbo enthusiasts who on average will likely score "acceleration" as a higher priority, etc.

Currently leaders are:

Handling/Grip: 66
Driver to Car Connection: 57
Design: 54
Sound: 46
Acceleration: 41
Chassis Balance: 32
Braking: 28
Comfort & Refinement: 27

The rest are in single digits.

This really bodes well to reiterate the tastes of 911 enthusiasts remain, well.... enthusiastic. Love seeing how much more the driving dynamics and engagement merits score over things like tech (which on any appliance car, or Lexus or even Macan forum, would likely be amongst the top).
Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting that braking scored so low. Superior braking due in part to rear engine layout has long been a hallmark of the 911 and a principal way it distinguishes itself over other cars. I guess with many cars now having ABS, carbon ceramic brakes and/or big rotors and calipers, other cars with their different layouts have caught up enough that the braking performance of 911s no longer gives it the big edge it used to. I'm not sure why the handling/grip feature remains so prominent, though, as other cars have caught up in that regard, too, especially mid-engine cars like the Cayman, but even Corvettes and performance sedans.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Interesting that braking scored so low. Superior braking due in part to rear engine layout has long been a hallmark of the 911 and a principal way it distinguishes itself over other cars. I guess with many cars now having ABS, carbon ceramic brakes and/or big rotors and calipers, other cars with their different layouts have caught up enough that the braking performance of 911s no longer gives it the big edge it used to. I'm not sure why the handling/grip feature remains so prominent, though, as other cars have caught up in that regard, too, especially mid-engine cars like the Cayman, but even Corvettes and performance sedans.
I voted for braking!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Need4S
I think most likely because braking isn’t as “sexy” a topic, but every 911 driver surely appreciates its superior braking layout in action.

As for handling and grip. I’m not surprised at all. Handling is always the top priority in a sports or performance car.

Quick Reply: What *4* things about your 991 are most important, enjoyable and desirable to you?