Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:10 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dcottam
Not a pic but still a car on US Soil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2pscfkk6Y
Thank you for posting this! I love how the GT Silver works with the door stripe...I was on the fence but went for it and after this video am glad I did. The car looks great! My spec would have been nearly identical to this if I didn't have the kiddos. Love the LWBs.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Your logic is hard to argue with. Especially when you can build a Carrera S 7MT with all of the performance items of the Carrera T 7MT for $110,270 (code below). For that added $8k over a T, you give up cloth seats, PSE, and a few details—but you get 50 hp, bigger brakes, more color choices, more wheel choices, wheel color choices, and the ability to add a Powerkit down the road.

PJLII9V7
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJLII9V7
Pete, I don't get your logic here...I seem to remember you saying you preferred the base motor over the S....why the change now?
And, you speak of color choices, and other choices....that's exactly what the T is...a different choice...
No one has claimed the T was a better car than the S if I recall correctly....its just different...the lightweight stuff is just marketing....
And for $8,000 I would venture to say that you could add the brakes and a tune without giving up the other details on the T....if that's what someone wanted (like me).
I personally like the buckets even if I didn't use the car on the track. Yes they are not for everyone....honestly I have debated a few times on the choice since I already have buckets in my Spyder. But that's one thing I LOVE on the Spyder.
I had the buckets in my GT4 and loved them there also. However I expect to drive the T more - maybe not daily but more frequently than the Spyder or how much I drove the GT4. So that is the only question mark in my mind, but as of now the buckets are on my order.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else think those cloth inserts on the seats look really 'low rent' on an otherwise beautiful car?

Jim
Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 AM
worldwidewebs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Is it just me or does anyone else think those cloth inserts on the seats look really 'low rent' on an otherwise beautiful car?

Jim
I think they look great - I hate alcantara (success of marketing and perception) and think leather is for old boys. I sat in a T with the sport tex seats a couple of weeks back and the only slight negative I'd say is that they're not as grippy as I'd ideally like but aside from that I think they're a great change from the norm
Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4

Jim
Not at all. They remind me of the 911s I grew up with and around (PCA member cars) from the 60's & 70's. So retro - one of the main reason I wanted a T and not a Base or S.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by dcottam
Not a pic but still a car on US Soil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2pscfkk6Y

Yes, thanks for sharing. Oh, and I recognise that Gemini Blue Targa in the background too!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Pete, I don't get your logic here...I seem to remember you saying you preferred the base motor over the S....why the change now?
And, you speak of color choices, and other choices....that's exactly what the T is...a different choice...
No one has claimed the T was a better car than the S if I recall correctly....its just different...the lightweight stuff is just marketing....
And for $8,000 I would venture to say that you could add the brakes and a tune without giving up the other details on the T....if that's what someone wanted (like me).
I personally like the buckets even if I didn't use the car on the track. Yes they are not for everyone....honestly I have debated a few times on the choice since I already have buckets in my Spyder. But that's one thing I LOVE on the Spyder.
I had the buckets in my GT4 and loved them there also. However I expect to drive the T more - maybe not daily but more frequently than the Spyder or how much I drove the GT4. So that is the only question mark in my mind, but as of now the buckets are on my order.
I'm not saying I would get an S > T, just that I can see the logic here. Ditto for GTS vs T once a T is optioned to a certain point. And I do prefer the characteristics of the base/T 3.0 to those that run more boost, but I don't find it to be a night/day thing. And more power is more power. Some prefer that.

I've said from the get-go that the T is the 991.2 I'd buy if I prized its collection of options (and I do, except for PSE), was good with its color selection, and my desired spec didn't put it into S/GTS/GT3 territory in such a way that the T becomes less attractive to me. The T is a really nice package, but I can see why each customer might start weighing it carefully. What I don't see it as is the no-brainer in terms of desirability, model position, and value that the GT4 was.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:21 AM
Edward Kries
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I'm not saying I would get an S > T, just that I can see the logic here. Ditto for GTS vs T once a T is optioned to a certain point. And I do prefer the characteristics of the base/T 3.0 to those that run more boost, but I don't find it to be a night/day thing. And more power is more power. Some prefer that.

I've said from the get-go that the T is the 991.2 I'd buy if I prized its collection of options (and I do, except for PSE), was good with its color selection, and my desired spec didn't put it into S/GTS/GT3 territory in such a way that the T becomes less attractive to me. The T is a really nice package, but I can see why each customer might start weighing it carefully. What I don't see it as is the no-brainer in terms of desirability, model position, and value that the GT4 was.
do you think it will hold its value?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:33 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edward Kries

Who can know? I don't profess to, and don't trust those who do.

The T is something new, sort of, and may be a decent bet as a car that will be a little more alluring to enthusiasts in the years to come than a garden variety Carrera or Carrera S. Maybe in the way a 987 Cayman R > 987 Cayman S. Or maybe not. What I wouldn't expect is resale in line with the 911 GT3/GT2/R, which have become resale phenomena in recent years. As with any car, new or old, I feel the way to go is to buy what you like—looking for value in enjoyment assuming reasonable depreciation, costs, and risk.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edward Kries

If I can sell my Carrera T in 22 years for 75% of it's original MSRP with 110K miles as I did with my 993 - I'll be happy. Who knows, it could happen.

Call me in 20 years and I'll let you know how it is working out.

cheers!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:46 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
If I can sell my Carrera T in 22 years for 75% of it's original MSRP with 110K miles as I did with my 993 - I'll be happy. Who knows, it could happen.

Call me in 20 years and I'll let you know how it is working out.

cheers!
Great point. I passed up a beautiful black 993 C2 6spd—reasonably low miles and bone stock but for Euro rear lights—for $22k eight or ten years ago. That car now would be worth more than 75% of its new car price. There's a lull with all this stuff, and a possibility of upside. TOUR has the right idea: Get busy livin.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Some more...finally with the other wheels.

Do like the car in Black, and dig the interior. Too bad the full-house T interior is $6600~. Leather to Sample (with deviated carpeting and stitching) on a Carrera or Carrera S is $5600...

For sale here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...carrera-t.html
Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

That does look pretty cool in black with those wheels.

I still prefer my Racing Yellow choice though.

Another T specced (as mine is) with PCM, rear seats and the Carrera T interior package. Can't tell if it has gorilla glass or not...
Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Like the wheels on a Black car...not digging the grey mirrors on it though. And $27K in options. Wowza.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
$27K in options. Wowza.
^ Yes, this is why it's critical to keep a T's spec tight unless you prize the package and simply don't care about pricing.

At $129k for a T, I would have a VERY hard time passing the 991.2 below up…which is actually less expensive.

PJXFYPE5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXFYPE5

Quick Reply: Landed Carrera T pics