Sponsored by:

Tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM
1949ford
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire question...

I purchased a certified pre owned Porsche . I just got a flat tire and since the other tires are worn, I’m gonna replace all 4 at once.

is it required to purchase tires /through dealership and then to have them installed at a Porsche dealership , ???
am I required to only use the factory tires that came on my 991 turbo?
Or can it be a different brand N SPEC tire ??
Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 744 Posts

Sounds like you bought a 991 Turbo. You can buy and install the tires from anyone you choose. You do not need to buy your tires from a Porsche dealer. I would recommend Tirerack and one of their certified installers that has the equipment necessary to do proper balancing and will not damage your rims.
As far as brand or spec. If you have Pireli and you want Michelin that is your choice and no problem. I would stay with a Porsche N spec tire though regardless of brand. The Michelin 4S is an amazing tire. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 357 Posts

I agree that the Michelin Pilot 4S is a great tire. I used the non N-rated ones on my 991.1 and they performed very well (245 and 305 widths). But I just double-checked TireRack and the Pilot 4S's in larger 991 sizes are still not N-rated, although they are extra-load rated which is the important part. So far it appears only 235 and 265 widths are N-rated. You will be fine without N-rated if you go with these tires though.

In any case, like Penn4S says you have no obligation to buy N-rated and you can buy/mount them anywhere you want. I still use my dealer for mounting/balancing even though I buy the tires at Tire Rack. In Austin the dealer has some of the best mounting equipment around, a Hunter touchless mounting machine and a RoadForce balancer. They also do the best job on cleanly removing the weights and adding new ones of anyone I've seen.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I generally agree with what others have written —^

You do not have to mount N-Spec tires.
You do not have to have the Porsche dealer do it.

Tirerack’s website will tell you what’s available.

You do have to select your tire shop with care.

If you have center-lock wheels, it gets more complicated and you’ll likely need to rely on the dealer or mount/dismout the wheels yourself.

Last edited by worf928; 02-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Tire shops generally have balancing or road-force balancing - the latter is what you want. I would also select a shop that has alignment capabilities to check alignment.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please call me. I'm glad to help!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

I replaced the tires on my CPO within two weeks of purchasing it last summer. Tires on the car only had 300 miles on them when I purchased the car, but they were Pilot Sport Cup 2's which are awesome in dry conditions, but slick as hell in the wet and we get a lot of rain in NW Florida.

Anyway, I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's through Tire Rack. At the time the 4S's were so new there wasn't an "N" spec in any size, but I purchased the non-N-spec ones anyway (like mentioned above, just get the extra load ones). I have 20" Carrera S wheels and there are not many shops in my area that have equipment for mounting/balancing wheels that large. So I called my dealer and they were happy to mount the tires I purchased through Tire Rack for me. Heck, they even let me have them shipped directly to the dealer as opposed to my house which saved me the pain of having to haul four large tires to the dealer in my wife's X5.

I've put 6,xxx miles on my 4S's and have been VERY HAPPY with them. Excellent tire for street-driving in both wet and dry conditions.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Tire Rack is the way to go, IMO. My car came with Goodyears and wanted to swap them out to Michelins right away. Tire rack was the best price, plus they have a database of installers local to you. I don't know for sure, but think because of their volume I don't need to worry about how long the tires have been sitting on the shelf.

Tire Rack sent the tires directly to my five star dealer (Great Falls Exxon), so all I had to do was drive there and have them put them on. It was a lot less than having the dealership do it, plus great falls cleaned my rims inside and out as a free added service.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 139 Posts

Call your dealer first (sorry Damon) as you may be surprised at the pricing (challenge them on pricing if they are not competitive at first!). I always go to my dealer as I trust them to be careful with my expensive rims and I know if they do make a mistake, they will make it right. Sometimes they are $20-$50 more expensive but that is peace of mind insurance I am happy to pay.

My dealer buys tires from Tirerack anyway (at least they used to, relax Damon!).
Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Call your dealer first (sorry Damon) as you may be surprised at the pricing (challenge them on pricing if they are not competitive at first!). I always go to my dealer as I trust them to be careful with my expensive rims and I know if they do make a mistake, they will make it right. Sometimes they are $20-$50 more expensive but that is peace of mind insurance I am happy to pay.

My dealer buys tires from Tirerack anyway (at least they used to, relax Damon!).
We always encourage people to shop around. Be mindful that if you buy from me (specifically please )retail, you get two year road hazard protection for free with the tires. If you order from us through your dealership, you do not get the coverage unless they are giving it to you on their own. I'm happy to drop ship to your dealership for install for you.

Please call me to order, I'm glad to help.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM
1949ford
Instructor

Thanks so much for all the replies . I had gone on tire rack and seen that the n spec pilot sport 4 S were on back order so it’s good to know I can run the non n spec with the XL load rating instead .
I forgot to mention it was for a 991 turbo .Ive head nothing but great things about the pilot sport 4S so I’m looking forward to trying them out .
Old 02-13-2018, 01:49 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

N tires are developed to work on Porsche best but you can put any tire you want on the car as long as they are the correct sizes. Look at your gas cap, door jamb, owners manual. TR sella all good brands and you can even look up tires by size and it will show you all the tires in every brand available. If you trade a car into porsche and it has brandx tires, they will leave them on the car and sell it as long as they are the right size and have allowable tread left, like they sold you the car.
I have used bridgestone S04 for years on my cars and they get great life and mileage. Bought a set from tr a couple months ago
(PS bought Another set, as many sets from them)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Have a pair of PSS fronts new for sale. Never mounted. 255/35/20
Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM
1949ford
Instructor

I got lucky the place only a few minutes from me is on the list of installers in my area from the tire rack site. It’ll be nice to be at full traction. I bought it certified pre owned and the pirellis on it were pretty worn out .
Old 02-13-2018, 04:57 PM
sdl2112
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Michelin PS4S N spec 245/305 20" installed at the Austin dealer (from Tire Rack). Apparently they are now just becoming available. I was very happy with the Austin dealership. Very happy with the tires too.

Quick Reply: Tire question...