Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does this compare to your PPF install?
Looks like mine
9.52%
Below grade
82.54%
I don't use protection
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Is this a good protective film wrap/job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I just got my car back after getting SunTek Ultra installed (hydrophobic, self-healing, 10 year warranty). Here are a few shots with a short description accompanying each. OP, I tried to take photos at positions similar to the ones you took. Note that most of the pieces on the car are precut but with either very narrow margins where a roll wasn't viable, or cut overly-large to allow for a roll.

First, a big thank you to René for the great job and doing all of the hard work here, and Justin for having the best PPF/Tint shop in Austin; Sun Busters.

Here's the gas cap. It is pretty easy to roll. The film on the fender rolls in here too. You'd never know there is PPF here.

Here's the end of the hood and fender at the base of the windshield. The hood PPF is rolled. The fender isn't but he did bring the film a little around the edge. In the photo you can only make out the edge at the bottom on the picture on the fender. Notice that the gloss and smoothness of the film is quite good. The hint of orange peel you can see here it is in the paint itself and I think the film even helped reduce that just a little.

Here's the base of the A pillar and the front edge of the door (which is also PPF'ed). You can only see the PPF edge down at the very base of the pillar below the line of the hood on the A pillar. The entire forward edge on the A pillar is covered right up to the windshield trim. You can also see the edge slightly rolled on the front edge of the door.

Since I told the installer I didn't want the bumper or headlights removed, he couldn't roll it here but he did keep the margins reasonably small. I would have liked a tad less margin here but I decided I'm good with it. It's about as wide as he ever got on the whole car. Even without removing the headlights he did get the film tucked right up to the them so you can't see any edges there.

This next photo IS NOT the new film, it was the crappy PermaPlate that the original owner had put on the car. Notice the loss of gloss at the transition from the paint to the half bra on the front of the hood.

And this is the same section of hood with the new film... as glossy as the paint was in the prior photo. I can't make out any orange peel here.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

^ looks good!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This wrap looks great StormRune. Thank you very much for the comparison photos at similar angles, definitely night and day between your install and mine.

Here's some more photos I took after installer asked for more:

^ Left Light

^ Right light, larger separation/margin than left side

^ Mirrors

^ Mirrors from another angle

^ tow hook cover
Old 02-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Yikes!!!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the front clip of my truck done by a firm using the template method. The ppf edges are closer to the panel edges and straighter then on your car and the cost was $700 usd. It met my expectations for a template job and cost. The truck is white and I’ve been surprised that the edges haven’t shown dirt as expected.
The Porsche and Audi (wife’s car) were done by a different company who wrap the edges as much as possible so you can’t tell it’s been wrapped without looking very carefully. I think the Audi was $1,400 and the Porsche $1,900 (I had A-pillars, rockers and behind the rear wheels done). I would not be happy with your wrap at that price. I hope you can work things out to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Is this a good protective film wrap/job?