991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 current colors being discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018 | 02:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is good news for Sapphire Blue owners. A great color. Very popular selection. Now you can't get it. Limiting availability.
I agree. It's a fantastic color and I nearly pulled trigger on SB (top 3 for me); a mate has a 911 GTS and it looks fabulous in bright light. I was sure when I saw this header that Lava might be one - as that's my 911's color I was in fact hoping they'd discontinued
Old 02-11-2018 | 02:11 PM
leaf345
Racer

I don't see the same notice on other configurations, only the GT3.

Either way, it begs the question - why? Surely Porsche could afford to stock a few standard metallic paints, even if they aren't the most popular ones around? These are actually three of my favourite colours, so its quite disappointing to hear that they'll be going away.
Old 02-11-2018 | 02:16 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911sccab
i don’t believe anything can replace Sapphire Blue!
Originally Posted by titan7
So sad, Sapphire Blue was absolutely gorgeous on 911. Perhaps they will just replace with another shade grey, white, or silver, LOL.
+1
Old 02-11-2018 | 02:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911sccab
i don’t believe anything can replace Sapphire Blue!
Well Aqua Blue could... I’ve always liked it a bit better. I wonder if it’ll come back? IMO Sapphire is a touch too bright, TDF Blue is a touch too dark, and Aqua is perfect right in the sweet spot.

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
...I am tired of all the 50 shades of gray on sports cars.
+1 me too. I think offering a bunch of unique and interesting cars and pushing people away from the basic colors is the best marketing Porsche could possibly do because people notice the cars on the street and go wow what’s that I need one.
Old 02-11-2018 | 02:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Cobalt was another great metallic blue from years ago (2005-6-ish) in addition to Aqua, already mentioned. Porsche always seems to offer a nice bright metallic blue in the lineup. Change it a little. Call a new name. Charge +$3,000 for it. Rinse & repeat.
Old 02-11-2018 | 03:13 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Cobalt was another great metallic blue from years ago (2005-6-ish) in addition to Aqua, already mentioned. Porsche always seems to offer a nice bright metallic blue in the lineup. Change it a little. Call a new name. Charge +$3,000 for it. Rinse & repeat.
Ah yeah good point I parked next to a Cobalt I think 997.1 once, it was a really nice color.

If Porsche is running out of SB paint, I wonder if they’ve considered going to Home Depot and getting them to color match a new bucket of it.
Old 02-11-2018 | 04:11 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by titan7
So sad, Sapphire Blue was absolutely gorgeous on the 911. Perhaps they will just replace with another shade of grey, white, or silver, LOL.
I'm always getting compliments about the color of my sapphire blue car. It's a shame they're discontinuing it.
Old 02-11-2018 | 05:26 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Graphite Blue Metallic is the one color I try to avoid ordering. We have zero interest on it in my market. The configurator version online looks killer. I do think Chalk will move into the 720 slot and we will see Biscay Blue (which is awesome) from new Cayenne slide into production.
Still no green? Maybe they should add Irish, then everyone could get one like the 1,000,000th 911.
Anthracite Brown was a great color as well. At least to me.
Old 02-11-2018 | 06:08 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Graphite Blue Metallic is the one color I try to avoid ordering. We have zero interest on it in my market. The configurator version online looks killer. I do think Chalk will move into the 720 slot and we will see Biscay Blue (which is awesome) from new Cayenne slide into production.
CJ, what leads you to believe that Biscay Blue will possibly replace GBM? I'd love to get a Carrera T in Biscay Blue. It looks like Yachting Blue but a touch lighter.
Old 02-11-2018 | 06:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Well Aqua Blue could... I’ve always liked it a bit better. I wonder if it’ll come back? IMO Sapphire is a touch too bright, TDF Blue is a touch too dark, and Aqua is perfect right in the sweet spot.

+1 me too. I think offering a bunch of unique and interesting cars and pushing people away from the basic colors is the best marketing Porsche could possibly do because people notice the cars on the street and go wow what’s that I need one.
+991, I love Sapphire Blue and have lusted after it for years - I am finally getting the Sapphire Blue GTS that I have dreamed about, hopefully in early April! But I agree with your view on Aqua Blue - I do like it a little more than Sapphire because it is slightly darker. Sapphire will be fine, of course, but Aqua Blue was darn near the perfect shade of blue in my humble eyes.
Old 02-11-2018 | 07:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
+991, I love Sapphire Blue and have lusted after it for years - I am finally getting the Sapphire Blue GTS that I have dreamed about, hopefully in early April! But I agree with your view on Aqua Blue - I do like it a little more than Sapphire because it is slightly darker. Sapphire will be fine, of course, but Aqua Blue was darn near the perfect shade of blue in my humble eyes.
I too like Aqua a smidge better.

I would REALLY love to see BMW’s San Marino Blue on a PTS 911....

Old 02-11-2018 | 07:34 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Ooo that's really nice... I think the best blue I've ever seen is that crazy magnetized blue or whatever they have on the new NSX... I'm not super interested in a fast prius though so that car is a no-go for me.
Old 02-11-2018 | 07:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

I too like Aqua a smidge better.

Wow, that is a beautiful color!
Old 02-11-2018 | 08:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Wow, that is a beautiful color!
Originally Posted by Dewinator
Ooo that's really nice... I think the best blue I've ever seen is that crazy magnetized blue or whatever they have on the new NSX... I'm not super interested in a fast prius though so that car is a no-go for me.
That pic doesn't even represent it well. It's got a lot of red, almost a Blurple, but not quite. But it's got so much pop it almost looks backlit. It's almost like blue chrome.

I absolutely adore the color.
Old 02-11-2018 | 08:19 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Complete opposite from my experience. I am very happy that I ordered Graphite Blue. It is absolutely the first thing that people comment on when I drive my car. Across the board positive responses. I'll be over the moon if they discontinue it. I believe it will be a sought after color in the future.

Quick Reply: 3 current colors being discontinued