Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

At least California has good roads... If I could find a way to make a living in California I'd pack up and move to the Monterey Bay area tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

I have a 2014 Porsche 911 which is a great car.

I also have a 1969 Porsche 911 which is a great car.

I think the market for an used GTS will continue to depreciate. I'd rather just buy a new one and keep it.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I had no idea that you pay ZERO taxes on private party auto purchases in NV, which I have property in. Therefore, I "elected" pay nearly 10% tax on my purchase in my residence state.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I had no idea that you pay ZERO taxes on private party auto purchases in NV, which I have property in. Therefore, I "elected" pay nearly 10% tax on my purchase in my residence state.
I'm in Atlanta. Practically every fourth car in my neighborhood has FLA tags for that reason. Many people have a home there and register all their cars there. Illegal but enforcement must be skimpy to non-existent.

Like a dummy, I bought my beach house on an island off the GA coast.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:03 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^^ You did VERY well. Nice job
Thanks

In regards to tax:

Yes it is 8.875% in NYC.

For this particular vehicle I paid $3500 which was on the difference since I had a trade in when I purchased it.

Not to derail the thread into a tax discussion, but I like the idea that I have some time this year to consider another Porsche without tax up to the 101K that I sold it for. It's less likely I'll go this route.

Nonetheless I am happy with what I got which seems to be about 75% of MSRP and a full 20K above the silly and laughable CarMax Offer.

Do I miss the car, of course I do.
It's no wonder "There is no substitute."

Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I sell my cars on consignment. The consignment dealer tells me how much he thinks the car is worth and how much his fee is. I found this to be the best option if you have the pink slip, have time to sell the car, and don't want to deal with private bottom dwellers. May not make as much as a private sale but I don't have headaches and don't feel being cheated if I was doing a trade in.
I just sold mine on consignment. I purchased it a few months back off the forums here, got a decent price, but wasn't a huge fan of the 2-pedal transmission. I gave it to the consignment place, and they had it sale pending within 5 days of taking the car. After paying registration and transport, I am still up $200, and I drove it a couple thousand miles in the meantime.

It sounds like the OP has found what I had previously found: You can get good prices for your car from a dealer if you shop around and find someone who knows what they have and wants to pay good money for it. I have gone that route a couple of times. Other times, a dealer doesn't want your car, or they think you are a typical idiot and will take some lowball offer. I certainly don't think $101k is overpaying, but if they retail it for $115k and it needs little to no work, they did very well. Plenty of people here have discussed getting a trade-in offer of $45k, only to see their car up for sale a day later at $65k and the dealer laughing at how they took that poor schmuck on the trade-in. Spending a few hours shopping around is worth the time to most of us.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ This is true. some dealers like to find nice low mileage off lease auction cars to keep the money flow and buyers keeping an eye on their dealerships. Penske has bought a hole bunch of dealership chains. They like to sell cars at lower margins I noticed when shopping for cars. Nice low mileage cool drivers type of Porsche's some with manuals and great colors.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Thanks

In regards to tax:

Yes it is 8.875% in NYC.

For this particular vehicle I paid $3500 which was on the difference since I had a trade in when I purchased it.

Not to derail the thread into a tax discussion, but I like the idea that I have some time this year to consider another Porsche without tax up to the 101K that I sold it for. It's less likely I'll go this route.

Nonetheless I am happy with what I got which seems to be about 75% of MSRP and a full 20K above the silly and laughable CarMax Offer.

Do I miss the car, of course I do.
It's no wonder "There is no substitute."

Buy a cheap lot in Chemult, Oregon. You can get 1/2 of an acre for a few thousand. Then you can register your car here for $106 (plus $81 if you need plates). It certainly beats sales tax!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Buy a cheap lot in Chemult, Oregon. You can get 1/2 of an acre for a few thousand. Then you can register your car here for $106 (plus $81 if you need plates). It certainly beats sales tax!
You have to pretend to live there. Wyoming and Oregon have laws that attract people looking for tax havens. It's been going on a long time. The GA Department of Revenue has been targeting owners for a long time. If you have a GA driver's license and vote here, you better pay sales tax here. An Oregon or Wyoming plate is the attraction for the revenuers.

I don't think it's worth paying a lawyer $300/ hour to settle this. Of course, I don't own several million dollar cars.

I just pay the sales tax. I consider depreciation to be my biggest expense with sales tax and insurance. My maintenance costs (including a new set of tires) is next. The only other cars that I own are a couple of air-cooled 911's. I like the brand.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Drgleeds37
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that your car is not a vehicle that most dealerships feel comfortable appraising. Any dealership that wants to stay in business will hit you pretty far back of MMR (auction values). They don’t know if it needs a $3,000 20k service, they don’t know if it has the right options, etc.

Also, the dealer is not at an auction bidding on a car that they need for a buyer so why would they be willing to pay the same premium. Unless it’s a Porsche dealership you really don’t want to try and trade in a GTS. Just my two cents.

-Daniel
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Normally I would not trade in but I just bought a beautiful 2015 GTS cab with a $153,900 sticker price and 8k miles for $109k.

They gave me $42k for my 2007 C4S Cab with 35k miles on it. I bought the car 2.5 years ago for $49,999. Granted it was a 6 speed and perhaps that added to the value but I assumed a trade in of $30k. At $42k and a purchase price on the GTS that seemed reasonable I was fine with that.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Frankly, there is nothing special about the GTS models except for the slight power bump. If one wants the options bundled in the GTS package, then it makes sense to save some money and buy the GTS. Otherwise, the S can be optioned a la carte with the same options.
The only special cars are the GT3, or the Turbo S and their variants.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drgleeds37
Keep in mind that your car is not a vehicle that most dealerships feel comfortable appraising. Any dealership that wants to stay in business will hit you pretty far back of MMR (auction values). They don’t know if it needs a $3,000 20k service, they don’t know if it has the right options, etc.

Also, the dealer is not at an auction bidding on a car that they need for a buyer so why would they be willing to pay the same premium. Unless it’s a Porsche dealership you really don’t want to try and trade in a GTS. Just my two cents.

-Daniel
Is the membership worth it for one post per year?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I say keep it! Normally aspirated and very well optioned version of one of the best 911's ever made. This is a sign to keep it!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce
At least California has good roads...
Hahaha, well... CA roads have epic potential with respect to scenery, elevation changes, etc. However, they are all poorly maintained, aside from a few rare examples such as I-280 on the Bay Area peninsula. The 280 North-South analogues on the East Bay side (880, 680) follow the norm and are horrendous. Going into the San Joaquin Valley? Forget it. Aside, if you'd like to see some perfectly maintained roads, I propose Middle Tennessee, Williamson County.

Quick Reply: Latest GTS Trade In Value Is Shocking!