Sponsored by:

Advice on cleaning up new car paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by luvawatch
I'll let a pro do it the first time and maybe just get it done right once or twice a year.
Good idea on using a pro. Getting your car paint corrected every year or twice a year is way too often. Learn good washing techniques. Let a pro paint correct your car once every other year. Use a high-quality final coating.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,325 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good idea on using a pro. Getting your car paint corrected every year or twice a year is way too often. Learn good washing techniques. Let a pro paint correct your car once every other year. Use a high-quality final coating.
^ This.

So it just comes down to finding a way to wash your car without introducing scratches—and not letting your dealer do a "courtesy" wash that ends up costing you $150-$700 to correct.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:28 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Good input, and always learning. Can see your point about three buckets, and have thought about this issue but have seen zero ill effects or damage from grit in the wheel/lower surfaces bucket—because the sponges that go in that bucket only ever touch very low surfaces on the car. I like to leave the soapy water in the buckets when I am done, then put the sponges on the windshield and dump the old water before cleaning the bucket out and Again, zero ill effects noted after 5+ years with this regimen. I should probably say: My cars rarely get truly dirty. If they do, I blast as much of the big stuff off as possible and also let what's left stew in soap while I clean the wheels.

As for the towels, I am not getting swirls because the towel is never dragged across the paint. Again, zero ill effects. I'd be curious to watch your setup with Ammo Hydrate and a wet MF towel, but you're still abrading paint where a 100% cotton bath towel that doesn't move across the paint can't scratch it. Also, I like the idea of a method that doesn't require buying more materials, creating more garbage, etc. The only materials required in my regimen is car wash soap. I remember my surprise when a famous Porsche painter and concours prep expert noted his displeasure with microfiber towels. He cringes when he sees clients use them. Asked what he uses for polishing, he said he only trusts cloth removed from 100% cotton t-shirts. I followed that advice, and fine they are better than MF cloths—which, contrary to everyone's beliefs, can scratch paint.

Again, results matter. I've had very good results using my regimen—with no swirls and no spiderweb scratches. The only downside is that I can now see any scratch added, whether that's from someone who runs a finger along the paint or a dealer who washes the car after being asked not to. But that's going to happen no matter how you achieve swirl-free paint. I just prefer not to pay a pro to do get my paint there and then ruin their results after my first wash, or pay for expensive detailing products and materials I don't need. What I am not saying is that my regimen is better than another regimen—just that it's worked for me and adds no time or cost, really. If someone shows me a regimen that produces similar results in less time and/or at less cost, I am all ears.

Swirl/scratch-free paint is my "tick." From watching Mooty on this board, I can tell you that my cars are shameful when it comes to proper cleaning in nooks and crannies. That stuff just doesn't matter to me. Ignorance is bliss....
Here is one of Larry's video's on using Hydrate. I used his process and products for 3 years on my F-Type that gets driven year around in the northeast and was parked outside without a garage for 2 years. It makes washing the car super quick and easy and the paint stay protected. The car is 100% swirl free.

I swapped to Kamikaze ISM for the 911. I didn't do a great job on the paint correction (my lighting wasn't great and I did it during a week of snow and ice ... so I didn't pull it outside to double check) before applying the coating. I have to compound the car again, so i'm going to take off the coating and swap back to the Ammo products. IMO, it's just easier to care for and the depth of color is equal.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Larry has a big following, and from what I can see deservedly so. Also comes recommended by some friends of mine.

I am intrigued by and like the sound of his "skin" as well as his process. I am concerned about the idea of rinsing a car down and then using 2-3 MF towels to dry it (while cleaning it with Hydrate), however, as even Larry says the towels will pick up some grit and dirt (which makes perfect sense). The idea of not rubbing anything across paint—unless it is soaked with suds—sounds better to me. My crazy sounding but very easy method doesn't require fancy products and returns superb results. I would love to compare is the luster and depth of his procedure vs mine, but he's across the country. I am also impressed by the way they suds roll across that paint. But I can also see the rabbit hole here. Next thing I know, I'll be like Mooty, with endless product and foodstuffs in a rollaway toolbox along with child labor. I think I'd rather just drive my 911!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Full condom.
Ceramic pro light
Washing with a single bucket, car first then wheels, clean rinse afterwards, couple of microfiber towels for drying, done!

Who the heck has the space, time, and patience for 3 buckets, 5 sponges, 7 towels and a light south-western breeze that doesn't exceed 5mph?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
Full condom.
Ceramic pro light
Washing with a single bucket, car first then wheels, clean rinse afterwards, couple of microfiber towels for drying, done!

Who the heck has the space, time, and patience for 3 buckets, 5 sponges, 7 towels and a light south-western breeze that doesn't exceed 5mph?

Lol.

Okay, I'll bite:

How much did you spend for the full condom?
How much for the Ceramic Pro? (I hear good things…)
How long does your regimen take (from pulling out the hose to a dry car)?
Any spiderweb scratches?

Quick Reply: Advice on cleaning up new car paint