Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time buyer looking for guidance on picking car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Balderdash
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Makes total sense. Have little innate trust for dealers. VROOM smugly states they have the best deal and there is no negotiation. Meh. I had looked up the various stories on the internet and, well, I'm sure happy customers probably aren't motivated to share their lack of disappointment as much as angry customers are to share their bad experience. The YELP etc reviews on VROOM are mostly terrible. About what you'd expect from a 'national' dealership with no real connection to a specific town or community. Nope!

B
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Crappy reviews

Wow those reviews are crappy. Just take your time the car will come but don't settle. I found a low milage c2s MT SC non sunroof car 2 weeks ago and put in the HFS thread here and it was gone in a day. Same price but under 20k miles and no sunroof. Non sunroof cars command a premium. I would also caution that Porsche dealers are just as crooked despite the fact they may have positive reviews. I bought mine in NY and the porsche dealer was horrendous. Do a PPI somewhere else, and the in person inspection prior to handing over a check anywhere you go.

Originally Posted by Balderdash
Thank you. Makes total sense. Have little innate trust for dealers. VROOM smugly states they have the best deal and there is no negotiation. Meh. I had looked up the various stories on the internet and, well, I'm sure happy customers probably aren't motivated to share their lack of disappointment as much as angry customers are to share their bad experience. The YELP etc reviews on VROOM are mostly terrible. About what you'd expect from a 'national' dealership with no real connection to a specific town or community. Nope!

B
Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

If this were a CPO'ed car I'd say the price is about right. Be sure not to confuse cars with CPO's with ones coming from third-party dealers. With a CPO you'll know that the car comes with good tires and no service needed for a while.

One of the things to wonder about with a car at this age is if the 4 year service has been done... some put it off due to low mileage and blow off the years. The 4 year service isn't cheap if done at a dealer. You'd also want to check not just the depth of the tires but the age. If 4 years or more I'd recommend new ones.

I'd guesstimate that without the CPO this car should ideally be at least $5k less than this. One thing to remember with a 4S (which I do like), is you are paying several thousand more for the wide body, AWD, and slick light bar... and if that isn't important for you then waiting for an S will save you quite a bit.

As a CPO example, there is a Guards Red manual 4S currently in Plano with less than 23k miles for $78k. I know it might not be the color you are looking for. But using it as an example... I'm sure you could get it for the price of the one you are looking at and (and maybe 2-3k less if you are tough) and it would have all of the service done, decent tires, and 2 years of warranty. If there's not one set up like you want right now, then there's the old waiting-for-the-right-car game you are already doing (and many of us have).
Old 02-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Here is one

A little overpriced but worth an offer if th poi checks out

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selec tedEntity=c22961&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c24459&radius=500 00&zip=32801&maxPrice=89000&maxMileage=22000&transmission=M&trimNames=4+ GTS+AWD+Coupe&trimNames=Carrera+4S+AWD&trimNames=Carrera+GTS&trimNames=C arrera+S&trimNames=Targa+4&trimNames=Targa+4+AWD&trimNames=Targa+4S&trim Names=Targa+4S+AWD&trimLevelNames=NONE_NONE&colors=NONE_NONE&utm_term=20 18-02-07&utm_campaign=1-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dealfinderSubscription&utm_content=bodyPri ceChangesViewDetailsCTA#listing=186453985

QUOTE=Balderdash;14782511]Thank you. Makes total sense. Have little innate trust for dealers. VROOM smugly states they have the best deal and there is no negotiation. Meh. I had looked up the various stories on the internet and, well, I'm sure happy customers probably aren't motivated to share their lack of disappointment as much as angry customers are to share their bad experience. The YELP etc reviews on VROOM are mostly terrible. About what you'd expect from a 'national' dealership with no real connection to a specific town or community. Nope!

B[/QUOTE]
re
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
A little overpriced but worth an offer if th poi checks out
I'm sorry Bud, but I've got to strongly disagree here. Yes it is nicely optioned, but that's quite a lot for those options in a used market unless those specific options are really what a very particular buyer is looking for.

So that car has been on the market for 138 days, is listed by CarGurus as overpriced by $6k (originally $8k before prior drops), and doesn't include the benefit of a CPO. How's that "a little overpriced"? That's already $7k over the typically more costly nice-optioned 4S that OP just recently called out.

There's a reason this car has been on the market for over 4 months despite a $2k price drop.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default YMMV

It's all what it is worth to someone and rarity. These options are pretty rare. Knowing what i do avout this model these options it would be worth paying some measure extra'. Also this dealer specializes in porshes. What the poster asked for was our advice. We are agreeing it's overpriced and I think car guru's is pretty much dead on with their valuation. That being said, at 78k this is a pretty good deal which is why I said you could make an offer. I would not pay 82. The 4s had stories and was from a dealer that looks crooked by the 42 reviews I read. Did you read their reviews ?

QUOTE=StormRune;14784265]I'm sorry Bud, but I've got to strongly disagree here. Yes it is nicely optioned, but that's quite a lot for those options in a used market unless those specific options are really what a very particular buyer is looking for.

So that car has been on the market for 138 days, is listed by CarGurus as overpriced by $6k (originally $8k before prior drops), and doesn't include the benefit of a CPO. How's that "a little overpriced"? That's already $7k over the typically more costly nice-optioned 4S that OP just recently called out.

There's a reason this car has been on the market for over 4 months despite a $2k price drop.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 PM
kingerm
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Last year, I ended up buying my car through Shift which sounds similar to VROOM. I had a great experience with them.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
It's all what it is worth to someone and rarity. These options are pretty rare. Knowing what i do avout this model these options it would be worth paying some measure extra'. Also this dealer specializes in porshes. What the poster asked for was our advice. We are agreeing it's overpriced and I think car guru's is pretty much dead on with their valuation. That being said, at 78k this is a pretty good deal which is why I said you could make an offer. I would not pay 82. The 4s had stories and was from a dealer that looks crooked by the 42 reviews I read. Did you read their reviews ?
I agree the options are pretty rare and you make good points about that. I really did try to respectfully disagree when I thought you were saying the price was a little high when I thought it was a lot high, looking at it as just a general first-time 911 for OP. But if I was wrong and he is specifically looking for those rare options; then maybe it really it isn't too far from being a good deal just like you said.

On the 4S you mention, yes, I read their reviews, looked at the car, and posted my opinion in the post just before your first one that it too was over-priced for a non-CPO car too.

I find the fixed-price dealers to always be pretty far on the over-priced side even for commodity cars and trucks. When my wife sold her spare car she no longer wanted (a Buick Lacrosse), she didn't want to deal with a private sale and just sold it to CarMax for 12k even. A few days later it showed up on their site for 17.9k... just shy of a 50% increase! It sold a couple of weeks later when they dropped the price and made it a "deal" at 16.9k. Not too shabby s profit for them. That was some interesting insight for me.

When shopping for a used pickup truck with my son a few months back, the fixed-price guys wanted $19.5k for a truck he liked that was nearly comparable to one we got at a normal dealer for $15.3k after negotiations... and we got much lower miles and better options too. I have no plans to ever look at a fixed-price dealer again.

Quick Reply: First time buyer looking for guidance on picking car