Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Ok, not to obsess on it (much) but I think it's good on visibility. Here it is with and without the plate on, with a ruler on the ground to show how much if any the view is affected. Suffice to say it's virtually the same for all practical purposes...

Without plate...

With plate...
Old 03-03-2018, 04:50 PM
ppoliszot
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom,

How do I buy this from you?

Or how do I get it made.. please advise.

You've done unbelievable work here.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:18 PM
ppoliszot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
I fear you give me too much credit, but thanks. I've had some folks ask via PM and have agreed to make set for $30, shipped in the US. If you've never seen DIY 3D printed parts, just understand they have a grainy texture and don't look like lego blocks or anything. I do get the tape-side glass smooth with acetone so the tape sticks really well. PM if you want a set. I'm just waiting for more thread inserts, which should come in a few days. I'm keeping a list of people who have asked for them and will let them know when they are ready, so they can pay, etc. Should be this week.
Hey Tom,

I believe I've sent you a pm although I'm new to this forum so I'm not 100% sure if you've received it.. If anything send me an email to paul@rexig.ca and we can communicate that way.. I'll take 4 sets if possible to future proof my porsche purchases lol. Let me know when to send you money etc and let me know if you can send them to Canada and the cost.. If not I will give you a P.O box in buffalo.

You're awesome for making this.
​​​​
Old 03-03-2018, 09:29 PM
ppoliszot
4th Gear

Hi Tom,

I've tried to PM you but I'm new to this forum so I have no idea if you've received it.. I can send you my email address or you send me yours and I can send you money etc.

I'd like to order 4 sets. (I want to future proof my porsche purchases)

Let mW know if you can ship to Toronto Canada .. If not I will provide a PO box in buffalo..

Thanks you've really done amazing work with this and solved in my opinion a huge problem that Porsche has not addressed.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this only for 991s? I am also interested in shipping to Toronto, Canada. If not, I will provide an address in California.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ppoliszot
Hi Tom,

I've tried to PM you but I'm new to this forum so I have no idea if you've received it.. I can send you my email address or you send me yours and I can send you money etc.

I'd like to order 4 sets. (I want to future proof my porsche purchases)

Let mW know if you can ship to Toronto Canada .. If not I will provide a PO box in buffalo..

Thanks you've really done amazing work with this and solved in my opinion a huge problem that Porsche has not addressed.

I think you need a minimum number of public posts before you can send private messages (3 I think). If you follow the link in my signature, there is a Contact Me link you can use.

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Is this only for 991s? I am also interested in shipping to Toronto, Canada. If not, I will provide an address in California.
Well I made them to fit my car, so not really sure what else these might fit. What car are we talking about? For both of you, shipping within the US allows for much cheaper/faster/easier shipping, so if you have a convenient address in the US, that's much better. As I said above, it will take me several days to get things ready, and I'll go first come first serve for those who already asked...
Old 03-04-2018, 01:08 PM
ppoliszot
4th Gear

Thanks Tom,

This is my third post I hope lol.

Let me if something pops up otherwise I'll try to post my email on here somehow.. I can most likely get you a PO box somewhere in Buffalo or Maybe me and Erwin can figure out a way to get it shipped together to save you time
Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 PM
dmia
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well I finally got around to permanently installing the plate. I ended up modifying the mounting pieces slightly -- mostly just rounding the corners for a more finished look and ease of printing (less chance of warping at the corners). Once I put them on with the 3M tape and bolted the plate in place, any concern I had about strength went out the window. I swear the bumper would pull off before the plate comes loose. I'll update the .stl files on thingiverse too... Now I'll get started on what to do up front. It seems like there is simply no good place for a plate up front that doesn't block a functional air duct

I never knew 3D printers can do this stuffs. Amazing!

I'm planning to install some ALP laser defense sensors and something like this might help me make those custom front and rear mounts.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I'm getting this then. Don't have a 991 yet. Sorry.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 PM
nolan12
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Received my set yesterday and installed them today. Works great!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Looking good! So do GT3's generally not have back-up cameras?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great, but if you want to remove this, is it gonna come off without damaging anything? Also can these be made thinner, like 1/4” oe 3/8”.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 AM
nolan12
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Looking good! So do GT3's generally not have back-up cameras?
991.1 did not have them, but the 991.2s do from what I understand.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titan7
Looks great, but if you want to remove this, is it gonna come off without damaging anything? Also can these be made thinner, like 1/4” oe 3/8”.
The 3M molding tape is interesting stuff. When the mounting blocks are on the car, they stick like crazy. I stuck just one mount on my tool cabinet for fun and was able to pull the cabinet around the garage with it -- despite it weighing hundreds of pounds and riding on clunky old wheels over diamond plate racedeck flooring. However, if you work at a corner to lever the block off, the tape will peel off fairly easily. Whether than remains true after years of service, I don't know honestly. I do know that some people use rough dental floss to "saw" through this tape if needed to remove delicate parts, so I suppose that's an option if ever needed. The remaining tape can then be cleaned up with a paint-safe adhesive remover.

As for thickness, this design doesn't lend itself to being much thinner. The ridge on the bumper is 4mm tall, and the thread inserts are 8mm. Together they are 12mm, which is about the thickness of these mounts. The tape adds a mm or two, so I could probably get away with it being one or two mm's thinner, but any more than that would need a different design altogether.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Tom et al,

Another advantage of your type design is the subwoofer affect. I don't have a 991 (yet), but in my 958 Cayenne Turbo I have the Burmester sound system, and when it's cranked up (which sounds unbelievably clean btw), it was rattling my rear license plate (I stood outside to listen with it turned up).

Believe me that rattling sound is the LAST thing you want others to hear when sitting at a stop light & they're looking at this beautiful Porsche. Btw, the sound deadening materials in Cayenne's is phenominal. I can turn my music up pretty loud & it is negligible from the outside. I love that. I don't enjoy sub thumping coming from cars around me at stop lights. anyway....

So I had to use that thicker green felt padding attached to the back of my license plate to hold it away from the mount points,... just to stop the vibrations. It works fine,... but I worry about the felt getting wet every time it rains, or I wash,.. and eventually becoming moldy. And since once our plates are mounted, how many of us take them off very often (... or maybe you are OCD & you take your plates off every time to wash behind it's ears Lol )....

I don't think the Cayenne has the square ridge that you've built into your blocks,... but it would stick to a flat surface just the same. So I could see this working on various cars.

Anyway Tom,... I was just thinking that your design has this "sub-woofer" benefit too. Well done. I hope by the time I get a 991, you're still making them!!

Btw, if you are wondering,... no, I do NOT listen to music in my 964T.... I don't think I've turned my Blaupunkt on in years. The exhaust is my music. The Cayenne on the other hand, is a long-trip, tow vehicle.

=Steve

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Mount