991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my 991.1/Short List to Replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018 | 10:44 PM
Andial
Banned

But the 5 Series and Panamera aren't cool.
Old 02-04-2018 | 11:52 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

^^ Why do you say that?
Old 02-05-2018 | 12:53 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkmesa
The OP clearly does, asking for "cool" cars only.
I was trying to saw he should get what he thinks is cool even if others don’t. That’s all
Old 02-05-2018 | 01:53 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Hi... here's my opinion on your 'next car', as I was recently (w/in the last 6 mos) in the market for a new car...

I was looking to replace my wife's '12 Audi Q5 w/ something more exciting (or actually less boring). We have a 6 year old, so didn't need a big car, plus we have a '13 Ford F150 crew cab that we can use if we actually need to haul anything. I did know we wanted something 4-doors and could fit 3 in the back (ruling out the then Porsche Panamera, S7), more 'practical' but primary desire was comfort/luxury with a bit of power/excitement mixed in. Price wasn't an object per se, but I wanted to avoid too much into the 6 figure range.

I also have my '15 991.1 GTS for my 'excitement' car...

My short list of cars I was considering included: Porsche Macan GTS, Cayenne/GTS, Mercedes C63S, E43/E63, BMW M3/M550i (M5 was not out yet), Range Rover Sport and Velar, Jaguar F Pace. None of the Japanese autos (like Lexus, Acura) appealed to me. Nor any American cars would offer the combo of luxury/build quality.

I ended up test driving an MB C63S and the BMW M3--suspension on both were way too firm. We liked the size, though the back seat was kind of cramped. Overall, if I didn't have my 991, I would have seriously considered it for a blend of performance/excitement + practicality.

We drove the Macan S (we weren't too interested in a Audi SQ5), and while it was nice, it just didn't 'do it' for us.

The RR Velar was nice--it certainly checked off the luxury component; but for performance/excitement, it didn't do it. The F Pace wasn't bad, but even less on luxury. If I had to choose between the 2, I would have gotten the Velar. We were also mildly concerned about the RR's warranty and longevity reputation.

In the end we ended up w/ a '18 BMW M550i w/ almost every conceivable option. Bought it through Autotrader from a out of state dealer and had it enclosed trailer to Seattle. It satisfied all our wants, though we wish the rear was a touch more roomy (that's what a 7 series is for I guess). The thing is a beast--0-60 in 3.9s, AWD, gobs of torque, plush smooth ride, tons of tech. Understated elegance, it doesn't scream "look at me" and you can pass incognito most times. Just a quiet M550 badge on the back. If $ was truly no object, I would have ponied up $30k more for a MB AMG 63S, which also has it all. We test drove the previous gen E63S and that thing was even more beastly than the BMW--the suspension was sportier than our M550 (even w/ the dynamic handling package), but the interior (on the previous gen E) wasn't as nice. The current E63S seems to have it all--gorgeous baby S-class interior, handling, power, cachet. But at a price I didn't want to pay...

Only other minor nit pick on our M550i--the gas mileage and cruising range is mediocre. If you end up ordering one, be sure to get the luxury seating package. Skip the upgraded sound system.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-05-2018 | 02:05 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

I would always have a 911 and something else. The something else is not as important as having the 911! Our current other car is a Lexus RX 450h. Perfectly adequate and useful. I could see trading it for a Macan turbo hybrid when and if they ever offer one. I have driven a couple of loaner Cayennes but found them too big for my taste. Yes they perform well but are still SUVs. I have never liked the look of the Panamera. Looks like some strange stretch 911 to me. So my advice is get another 911 asap then worry about some additional vehicle after that!

Quick Reply: Sold my 991.1/Short List to Replace