Sponsored by:

The ordeal of a flat tire... intersecting with customer experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts
Default The ordeal of a flat tire... intersecting with customer experience

Last night, I noticed a tick-tick-tick coming from under the car while driving. I located a screw sticking out of the rear tire. No big deal, it happens. I have centerlock wheels, so I figured I’d run down to the dealer this morning and get it resolved.

Dropped son #1 off at school, quick drive to the dealer. Learned something interesting, they are not allowed to repair tires. Okay, I could argue that either way, but I get it.

Me: “okay, so I have to buy a new tire. I have wheel and tire insurance”
Service Associate (SA): do you have that info with you?
Me: no, don’t you have it in your system?
SA: no
Me: well, I need to get the tire replaced so can you just do it?
SA: I have to check with parts to see if they have the tires in stock

Putting aside the issue of tracking what your customers purchased with a new car (Mercedes does it, they have all my coverage detailed in my customer record), the bigger issue is the tire availability. If you have a propietary wheel that requires customers to use the dealer for service, you should also require that dealers stock the tires to support customers in need. They didn’t have the tires in stock but were expecting 2 later today that were not spoken for.

So I drove back home and when I exited the car in the driveway the tire was hissing at me. The screw had gone from an annoying tick-tick-tick to a full on puncture. The tire was flat in 20 minutes. At 2pm I called the dealer to check on status.

Me: did you get the tires for my car?
SA: Our internet has been up/down all day and I haven’t been able to track the truck, but it’s a 3 hour process to change the tire.
Me: okay, so let me get this straight... a flat tire that would otherwise be a simple repair now has me disabled and you can’t replace the tire or give me a loaner car (I didn’t schedule my flat tire, hence no cars available), and it’s not clear when you will have a tire or a loaner car.
SA: you could call roadside service, it’s provided by your warranty.

I’m condition RED on frustration at this point, but I went to my happy place and breathed through my eyelids. I called roadside service and they sent a tow truck out to transport my car to the dealer. Tow truck shows up, I gave him the keys, signed something and left to pick up son #2 from school. I return home and the tow truck driver calls me to tell me that the bumper snagged on his truck but he put the plastic strip back on. Blink... return to happy place. “Okay, thanks for telling me. Click”. For the 3rd time today, I call the dealer.

Me: I just got a weird call from the tow truck driver
SA: Yes, was your bumper strip hanging off the car when he picked it up?
Me: Uh no, the car is perfect... it’s only 2 months old.
SA: Okay, we saw him catch it on the truck and try to put it back on. We need to get the car up and inspect it to see if there is any additional damage. Your tire will be here tomorrow.
Me: (calm voice) okay, so my flat tire is now taking at least two days and I have a damaged bumper to go with it... awesome.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow......how big is the hole? Plug the tire if it's not sidewall damage and be done with it. Have the dealership repair the bumper and find a new service center fast.........Phil
Old 01-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts

Sorry to hear.

Porsche dealers - there are no substitutes.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 01-31-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM
dknj23
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, you went to your happy place a lot today. If it was me, I would have blown a gasket. Kudos to you and hopefully tomorrow is a better day. t.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

That sucks.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 194 Posts

Sounds like a big ordeal. I had a flat last week at my office. I called the dealer, they called the tow company and road side to get things going. I got a call within 10 minutes, low profile flat bed with ramps picks up my car and me. Drops car at dealer, they replaced a winter tire the next morning, picked up the car and went on my way. Sad all dealers can't be this good, glad I am near one. Hopefully you have another dealer in the area to use in the future.
Eric
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
Last night, I noticed a tick-tick-tick coming from under the car while driving. I located a screw sticking out of the rear tire. No big deal, it happens. I have centerlock wheels, so I figured I’d run down to the dealer this morning and get it resolved.

Dropped son #1 off at school, quick drive to the dealer. Learned something interesting, they are not allowed to repair tires. Okay, I could argue that either way, but I get it.

Me: “okay, so I have to buy a new tire. I have wheel and tire insurance”
Service Associate (SA): do you have that info with you?
Me: no, don’t you have it in your system?
SA: no
Me: well, I need to get the tire replaced so can you just do it?
SA: I have to check with parts to see if they have the tires in stock

Putting aside the issue of tracking what your customers purchased with a new car (Mercedes does it, they have all my coverage detailed in my customer record), the bigger issue is the tire availability. If you have a propietary wheel that requires customers to use the dealer for service, you should also require that dealers stock the tires to support customers in need. They didn’t have the tires in stock but were expecting 2 later today that were not spoken for.

So I drove back home and when I exited the car in the driveway the tire was hissing at me. The screw had gone from an annoying tick-tick-tick to a full on puncture. The tire was flat in 20 minutes.
Very bad experience. Parts department normally do not keep spare tires from what I was told. Anyway, I am curious. Why did you drive your car with a screw in the tire? On my second drive in my new car, i found a small screw that had only gone in about a quarter of an inch in the flat part of the tire and not the tread. I pulled it out. The tire was fine. I left it in the garage for a day and noticed no loss of pressure. Drove it carefully for the next few days and did not notice anything untoward. The screw had just added a small and very shallow hole in the tire.

Last edited by subwoofer; 01-31-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Hope you can find another dealer!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

New dealer time.

I keep tire plugs in all my cars and have a spare set of wheels/tires for the centerlock and the big 3/4in torque wrench.

Of course, I don’t have the actual car yet ....
Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel for you. Great you have that happy place
I'd share this experience with Porsche of NA. I believe we way too often make this type of ordeals go by.
Not to rub salt into the wound, but tire punctures are always a PITA. That's why I prefer 5-lug to CL wheels. At least I have more repair shop choices. Also tire repair kit and tire plugs are always in my frunk.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:46 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Captain Obvious here.....did you know you have a sealant kit in the frunk of the car? All you had to do was use this and go on with your day. NEVER put your car on a flatbed except as a last resort. Towing damage is frequent and to be expected.

​​​​​​
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like when you go to hospital for one thing and die of another.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Captain Obvious here.....did you know you have a sealant kit in the frunk of the car? All you had to do was use this and go on with your day. NEVER put your car on a flatbed except as a last resort. Towing damage is frequent and to be expected.

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/kOhEcBqO2jM
I also could have just filled the tire from my compressor and taken the 15 minutes to drive it to the dealer, and then take an Uber home. At this point in the process, I look at it as their problem to solve. Insofar as any damage from the tow... also their problem to solve given that it was organized by roadside assistance. Sure, it’s an inconvenience but I have other cars to drive and Porsche now has to make it right.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an unfortunate fact of life with many modern cars, especially with low aspect side-walls, run-flats or real odd ball sizes. Large tire shops would never have the right size for my M5. Our Cayenne this past year needed a repair and I believe a replacement wasn't in stock. It may be that there's just too much diversity in sizes, brands, speed ratings, and given the cost of inventory most places won't stock a lot. The dealer, I can't comment on, but probably they're not charged to replace tires too often throughout the year. It's not the '70s anymore when everything ran on 185-15HR75s.....
Old 01-31-2018, 08:32 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

First part of the story is a very valid complaint. Sorry but once you left the dealer intentionally driving around with a screw in your tire I would have to place the rest of the aggravation on you honestly. Now off course it isn't your fault the tow truck damaged your car but the story really should have never got to that place. You said you have other cars to drive around. Should have just taken the Uber the first time.

Quick Reply: The ordeal of a flat tire... intersecting with customer experience