Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ordeal of a flat tire... intersecting with customer experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

First, get a new dealer. My service advisor can access my data, and knows I have the tire package on multiple vehicles. EVERY car has had a nail or screw in the tire. Don't know why, just the compound, or where I live.

I wouldn't fault the dealer for not necessarily having the right tire in stock. Depends on model and tire. Mine is generally pretty good, having the tires in stock. A smaller dealer with not as much service volume might not.

I would personally try to avoid putting the goo in the tire (only a last resort). I'm pretty handy with a plug kit, but its tough doing it on a 911 with the tire still on. Centerlocks don't help the situation.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

There is a benefit of living in the cold frozen north: if you have a set of winter tires, you always have a backup, assuming you get a puncture or flat not too far from home. Especially if you spec'ed your GTS with the 5-lugs.

OP sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if you would have uber’ed home and left the car, you wouldn’t have needed the tow. Am I reading that correctly?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:36 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Why would the dealer provide a loaner for a flat tire? Tire shop would have been the best place to go first BTW. OR a gas station that handles these kinds of repairs.
Centerlocks. Replacing a tire at the dealer is a 3 hour process, according to my SA yesterday. And I have a tire warranty, which requires service at the dealer. I did call around to a couple of tire shops in my area (SF Peninsula) and none of them wanted to deal with the CL.

FWIW, a couple of people have commented on why I drove home after the initial excursion to the dealer. Simple, for the same reason that I drove there... the tire wasn’t leaking any air. I kept the TPMS active on my display and the left rear tire stayed within 1psi of the right (amazing these systems are now so accurate) so there was no immediate risk. Had the tire been leaking air, I would not have driven it. It was a calculated risk that didn’t work in my favor. As I wrote up above, the whole mess is their mess to fix now given that I called Roadside Assistance, as opposed to me calling a tow service myself. I’ll let them sort it out.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

Centerlocks. Replacing a tire at the dealer is a 3 hour process, according to my SA yesterday. And I have a tire warranty, which requires service at the dealer. I did call around to a couple of tire shops in my area (SF Peninsula) and none of them wanted to deal with the CL.

FWIW, a couple of people have commented on why I drove home after the initial excursion to the dealer. Simple, for the same reason that I drove there... the tire wasn’t leaking any air. I kept the TPMS active on my display and the left rear tire stayed within 1psi of the right (amazing these systems are now so accurate) so there was no immediate risk. Had the tire been leaking air, I would not have driven it. It was a calculated risk that didn’t work in my favor. As I wrote up above, the whole mess is their mess to fix now given that I called Roadside Assistance, as opposed to me calling a tow service myself. I’ll let them sort it out.
3 hour process for a tire change is absurd. If you have the right tools, it's a 5 min job to take off and reinstall the wheel
Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
3 hour process for a tire change is absurd. If you have the right tools, it's a 5 min job to take off and reinstall the wheel
he has centerlocks and no way anyone can do it in 5 mins
Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 AM
mikex25

And the sf peninsula is severely lacking in quality auto shops. South Bay has plenty that are more than capable of dealing with centerlocks, if you don’t mind was your dealer Carlsen?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 AM
jnolan
Pro

Yes, Carlsen. I picked the car up last night. They did me right. Beto replaced the plastic strip on the bumper and did a complete underbody inspection for any additional damage from the tow. Porsche Roadside Assistance blacklisted that towing company as a result. The tire was replaced for a $50 deductible and for anyone considering a new car purchase you should get wheel and tire insurance. My wife had it added to her E63 without my knowledge and I was irritated... until the service manager suggested replacing all four wheels afflicted with curb gash. Now I am a fan. I got insurance on this 911 and am thankful I did... flat tires happen, not being able to repair a tire (through the dealer) ups the consequences.

I am still annoyed by the drama of the episode but in the end Porsche realized they were letting me down and acted accordingly. They were apologetic and expedited picking me up to get my car, and had it waiting with all the paperwork ready, I went from arriving at the dealer to driving home in less than 5 minutes.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 AM
mikex25

Yes, Carlsen. I picked the car up last night. They did me right. Beto replaced the plastic strip on the bumper and did a complete underbody inspection for any additional damage from the tow. Porsche Roadside Assistance blacklisted that towing company as a result. The tire was replaced for a $50 deductible and for anyone considering a new car purchase you should get wheel and tire insurance. My wife had it added to her E63 without my knowledge and I was irritated... until the service manager suggested replacing all four wheels afflicted with curb gash. Now I am a fan. I got insurance on this 911 and am thankful I did... flat tires happen, not being able to repair a tire (through the dealer) ups the consequences.

I am still annoyed by the drama of the episode but in the end Porsche realized they were letting me down and acted accordingly. They were apologetic and expedited picking me up to get my car, and had it waiting with all the paperwork ready, I went from arriving at the dealer to driving home in less than 5 minutes.
glad it all got sorted out for you. Did they replace your front lip with a matte black piece or a painted one? Because a large number of us are looking for that piece but Porsche tells us it only comes primered and ready to paint.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts

Good news.

I love a happy ending.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by mikex25

glad it all got sorted out for you. Did they replace your front lip with a matte black piece or a painted one? Because a large number of us are looking for that piece but Porsche tells us it only comes primered and ready to paint.
black plastic, just like the original

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Good news.

I love a happy ending.
Tell my wife...
Old 02-01-2018, 12:32 PM
mikex25

black plastic, just like the original

Tell my wife...
would you by any chance have the part number? When I tried to order a replacement piece suncoast told me it only comes primered and not like the stock black plastic.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

would you by any chance have the part number? When I tried to order a replacement piece suncoast told me it only comes primered and not like the stock black plastic.
same!!!! Everyone and their mom is telling me they have to be painted. Do not come matte black from prts. Please tell!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. It is not always like that. I got a flat 2 months in with my new GTS. It was strange, I drove home with no drama on a Friday. When I went to drive on Sunday, the tire was dead flat. Of course I did not notice this until I pulled out of my garage and the TPMS started screaming. Unfortunately, by that time I had rolled on the tire sufficiently to destroy it. At that point, I limped the car back into my garage and called roadside assistance. It took about an hour for the tow truck to arrive, but that was OK as I told roadside assistance that I was in no hurry what with being at home already. The tow was uneventful and the driver was very careful and respectful of the car.

I got a call from the dealer Monday morning and was told that there was a tire in stock and the car would be ready by the afternoon which it was. I also indicated that I had the wheel and tire insurance and the dealer did not charge for the tire or the service. All in all, a very low stress and pleasant experience. A few days later, the dealer called and sheepishly mentioned the fact that the insurance had a $50 deductible. I agreed and gave my credit card.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure how its a 3 hour job to dismount and remount 1 tire. That makes no sense whatsoever, centerlocks or not.
I think what they are getting at is if tire wasn't losing air it may not have been punctured until you drove on it.........
Brutal experience none the less. I couldn't imagine that where I go. Sorry to hear.

Quick Reply: The ordeal of a flat tire... intersecting with customer experience