Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know I have a real allocation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I know I have a real allocation?

its time for me to pull the trigger but I want to make sure the dealer(s) I am working with have a true allocation for my order. I’ve heard stories of dealers just taking deposits whether they have an allocation or not.

How do do I ensure my dealer has a true allocation whereas my order is placed immediately.

What details of proof of should I look for?

Any insights on this appreciated.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

The best proof is calling PNA and verifying with a first/last and contact number.
Your data will show up in their systems as soon as you have a singed build and deposit.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Ask him for the commission number. If he has that number, then he has an allocation and your order has been submitted.
The following users liked this post:
BrianFreeman (08-04-2023)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Ask him for the commission number. If he has that number, then he has an allocation and your order has been submitted.
Does a commission number exist before an order is placed? I'm trying get confirmation other than their word before I place a deposit.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Yes, the commission number is the build number.
You can ask for that from the dealer with a screenshot.
Once you place the order, you can call PNA and ask them when they estimate your build will get a VIN number.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
Any insights on this appreciated.
When I was trying to understand how the Porsche allocation system worked last year I came across this short article (http://www.askporschecalgary.com/ord...nd-production/) by a Canadian Porsche dealer. It was written about four years ago and it may not be applicable where you live but it does offer some insight into the workings of the system for that dealer. Maybe it is similar in other jurisdictions. When I bought my car last year, it was explained to me that three previous buyers were ahead of me at my dealership who were all waiting for their 911 allocations. My experience in ordering and waiting was pretty much consistent with the process described by the article. Maybe this will help with the insight that you are looking for.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Commission number.

They should even be able to show you in their system when the allocation is and I would be sure to ask what month it is in.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Yiur sales rep should be able to send you that screenshot.
apache2 (07-01-2021)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

It's pretty sad to think a dealer would take a deposit knowing that they could not order the car for you.

How often does this practice occur?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:50 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

I find it hard to believe it happens. But maybe I’m naive. Most Porsche dealers would not allow that. Once a deposit is taken, it has to be taken in for something to show on the books.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a printout with a commission number and V200 status before I even placed a deposit or had any type of contract. I asked my dealer directly if I had an "allocation" and he said "sure". I don't think they were as concerned about my deposit as I was about getting an actual car. It was my impression that they weren't going to be concerned until the order "locks" because they are getting a car anyway and can change the configuration prior to locking.

I insisted and they finally sent me a purchase contract and I made a deposit.

I think if he sends you a build sheet/printout with a V200 status and commission number, and then asks you to confirm the configuration, I think you are about as certain as you are going to be until they start building the car.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Man that makes me feel better. I have had a commission number for a long time but my date slipped from Feb to April and I was getting a little worried. That makes me feel a little better lol...
Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
It's pretty sad to think a dealer would take a deposit knowing that they could not order the car for you.

I had a dealer take my order, no deposit, and two weeks later tell me they could not get an allocation for me. Said it was his first time in 17 years of selling cars he could not get one. They were a small dealer. Went to a larger dealer and at the time of order they were able to show me the tracking dates and commission number right on the spot. As others have said if you have that you are good.
apache2 (07-01-2021)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's V200 - the delivery date has been set, so absolutely an allocation. My dealer asked for a deposit and I gave him a credit card, but he never ran it. He told me afterwards he can't be bothered, it's more hassel to run it and potentially pay it back.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

Originally Posted by SBARacing
I find it hard to believe it happens. But maybe I’m naive. Most Porsche dealers would not allow that. Once a deposit is taken, it has to be taken in for something to show on the books.

This happens more than you think. Especially with GT cars. Many people have put a deposit on a car to get on a wait list and then the dealer says they have no more allocations and gives you your money back. Some were on "the list" for up to two years. A deposit really means nothing. It has no legal basis. Get a purchase order and commission number.

Even worse is that "the list" is totally bogus. You may be 4th on the waiting list with a deposit down and the dealer decides to let someone else cut in line because they are a repeat customer or they offered more money. Sometimes much more money. You would never even know that someone cut in front of you. I will never understand Porsche's business model. Anybody should be able to walk into any Porsche dealership and order a GT2RS without being a "special customer", or being on a fake waiting list for 4 years because they heard a rumor on the internet that the GT2RS may be coming out.

Build as many cars as are demanded......minus one. That works.

Quick Reply: How do I know I have a real allocation?