Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

On camera activation times... My unit went into standby as I didn't use the car for a few days and so I started it up and immediately reversed as the boot logo was being displayed and the camera was on within approx 7 seconds. That's pretty good from a cold start and of course it's almost instantaneous if the unit is only sleeping. Can't see it improving from that..
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
On camera activation times... My unit went into standby as I didn't use the car for a few days and so I started it up and immediately reversed as the boot logo was being displayed and the camera was on within approx 7 seconds. That's pretty good from a cold start and of course it's almost instantaneous if the unit is only sleeping. Can't see it improving from that..
Our cars are activating the reverse camera as quick as OEM with the PCM 3.1. Like you say, I can't see how we could do better
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Ok, this is weird..Mine takes the same 2-3 to display the camera view when booting. When I switch back, the unit is still booting up. I don't know. Seems weird..not sure if the 360 chip make any diff....I am not happy with this. I wish I discover this by driving more lol, would've returned this.

Last edited by bmxtreme; Yesterday at 03:13 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
mac_flyer9
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the CHSTEK 7862E and backup cam this weekend in my 16 Cayman GTS. Thanks to ZedZed and Andy for the outstanding guide and info.

No real problems with the installation. Followed the instructions pretty closely. Took the rear bumper cover off for the cam installation and wiring. Ran the video cable up the right side...still hate pulling panels. Set the volume, pulled the PCM and disconnected all the lines. Got it all back together with only a couple initial issues. It would only connect CarPlay with the cable and the backup cam was inop. I solved the first with a redo of the initial startup. Now it connects both wirelessly and wired. The backup cam problem was a power issue. The T-Tap for the brown line didn't cut the wire sheathing enough to make contact. I went back today, corrected it and soldered the connections. It did need the ground wire in the back to work. Very pleased with the results, thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I am sort of surprised it has been working at all

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I am sort of surprised it has been working at all
What was suppose to not work?

Edit: oh, the right side block is empty lol

Last edited by bmxtreme; Yesterday at 04:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by stapleton87
I had a thought, this could be a camera specific delay in that I bet every camera has a different amount of time it needs from receiving power to sending a video signal. If we're all using different aftermarket cameras that may explain why we're seeing differences. I have a pretty cheap camera currently but I've collected a few others that I plan to swap out to see if they give better image quality so I can also time them to see if there delay is different. No promises on when I'll get to it since I'm not super excited to take my back bumper off again, but I'll report back once I have some info.
I think my problem is the rear cam view itself is taking time to show up without the camera plugged in. It's really frustrating when you try to back out and you need to wait for this thing to show up.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mac_flyer9
I installed the CHSTEK 7862E and backup cam this weekend in my 16 Cayman GTS. Thanks to ZedZed and Andy for the outstanding guide and info.

No real problems with the installation. Followed the instructions pretty closely. Took the rear bumper cover off for the cam installation and wiring. Ran the video cable up the right side...still hate pulling panels. Set the volume, pulled the PCM and disconnected all the lines. Got it all back together with only a couple initial issues. It would only connect CarPlay with the cable and the backup cam was inop. I solved the first with a redo of the initial startup. Now it connects both wirelessly and wired. The backup cam problem was a power issue. The T-Tap for the brown line didn't cut the wire sheathing enough to make contact. I went back today, corrected it and soldered the connections. It did need the ground wire in the back to work. Very pleased with the results, thanks again.
Great job, and great photos too. And great sleuthing on the backup cam power connection thing. Enjoy!
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
What was suppose to not work?

Edit: oh, the right side block is empty lol
I think that hole in the quadlock is normal for non Bose cars?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1