Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

@ZedZed , thanks for your answers! I’ve now read through the manual in @andy2111 ’s signature—appreciate you pointing that out. It seems like I’m at a similar crossroads as you once were, deciding between PCM modification and other options. I’m not too concerned about the minor surgery on the PCM, as I’ve done that kind of work plenty of times. Sounds like we have similar IT backgrounds—I’ve got a box full of old PC, laptop, and phone parts too!

Since price isn’t a major concern, I think I’ll go ahead and pick up a Chstek to see how it works out. It seems like an easier and more cost-effective route to try first.

Thank you agin,
Hank
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
mac_flyer9
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Love those wheels!!

I dont have Sport Chrono, but I noticed at the weekend that my head unit clock and the clock in the MFD were out by a couple of minutes. I have not seen that before and I had always assumed that the two used the same "time source", but maybe not - and this would mean that you do not have an issue with your sport chrono if this is the case. Does anyone else have an observation on this from their cars? I guess an easy test is to change the time on one display to see if it replicates on the other.

For the bright lights did you apply the "can_app.bin" fix? If you did then I think you need to pull the fuse to make the HU do a full power up from cold - I had to do this on mine to get the fix to work.
I just applied the bright fix. I was in the car for 20 mins after applying it with the unit constantly restarting.....I was thinking "damn, i bricked it" Turns out, I needed a full restart. So I pulled the PCM fuse and the cold restart fixed it. I'll report back on the illumination when I get a chance to see it. I'll also comment when I get the new Sport Chrono gauge and new TPMS sensors. Appreciate the help. Thank you
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mac_flyer9
Super happy with the CHSTEK unit. I have three issues with it, which may or may not be because of the swap.

One: Discussed earlier in the thread about the small Sport Chrono clock not matching the digital clock. My dealer is ordering a new Sport Chrono gauge to see if that's the issue.
I may be able to shed some light on this, having fitted a chrono clock to a Porsche that did not have one as OEM. First, the time on the chrono clock takes its time from the time displayed in the dash display to the right of the cluster. It has no relationship to the PCM. When I installed the chrono clock, as soon as I hooked up the clock wires, it synched with the dash clock. You can prove this by removing the PCM entirely and observing that the clock in the instrument cluster still operates as normal. The clock in the cluster takes its signal from one small wire in the loom inside the multi-stalk unit mounted to the clockspring/steering column. So even if you have no PCM at all, let alone a CHSTEK replacement for it, the times on the chrono clock and the dash clock should be the same. That they are not in your car suggests an issue with the chrono clock, or maybe not, but it won't be down to the removal of the PCM. Also, of course, the chrono itself is not dependent on the original PCM - again this is evident from the fact that the chrono function still works after the PCM has been removed/replaced.

Three: I swapped out wheels and tires this last weekend and the TPMS will not reset and accept the new wheels. I'm assuming its bad TPMS sensors as the wheels sat for 3 years unused and I have new sensors coming this week. However, the thought crossed my mind that the PCM may be involved in the reset procedure and without it, it won't work. Its just a guess. If anyone has replaced wheels with the CHSTEK unit installed and got the sensors to update, please comment.
Again, the PCM doesn't control or impact the TPMS. TPMS settings are done from the multifunctional display (MFD) and, again, the TPMS will function correctly even if the PCM is physically absent. The problem you are experiencing is likely to be either the TPMS sensors themselves (inside the wheels) have failed and/or their batteries have died, or the TPMS control unit itself has failed. This (in my car) was located in one of the rear wheel arches. It is easy to fit a new control unit (two bolts and a wire connector) but the bad news is that the unit then has to be coded to the car by Porsche (or someone with a PIWIS). Swapping the in-wheel sensors is easy enough (although the tyres need to be removed and refitted), but again it is likely that the new sensors may need coding to the car. I am not 100% certain about the last sentence, and it may only be the control unit itself that needs coding.

You may decide that the OEM TPMS is an expensive waste of money, and just install the in-wheel TPMS sensors and USB control box made by Erisin. This will save you a ton of money (no need for PIWIS coding) and also, IMO, the display and functionality of the Erisin TPMS sensors is superior to the OEM Porsche version. Andy @andy2111 (and my wife in her Cayman) run the Erisin TPMS, albeit with the external sensors mounted on the tyre valves, and both of us hold them in high regard. When the time comes to change the tyres on the Cayman, I will be installing the in-wheel Erisin sensors. They work exactly the same way but are obviously a more elegant solution than the external sensors.

Caveat - the info regarding the chrono clock is my experience on my former Panamera, and YMMV on a 911, Cayman, or any other model of Porsche.

Thanks in advance. I've attached a gratuitous new wheels pic
Very nice too. Love the color of the car as well.

[/QUOTE]
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

@mac_flyer9

Is your chrono clock the version with the small analog clock inset into the dial (as opposed to a digital clock)? If so, it is possible that the hands have 'slipped' - they are notorious for actually falling off.
Andy's suggestion is a good one.- go into the MFD and set the time to a random time. The chrono clock should mimic this. If it approximates it, is the difference the same as it was when the dash time was correct? I mean, if it was 2 minutes different before, is it still 2 minutes different now, or something else entirely?
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
mac_flyer9
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
@mac_flyer9

Is your chrono clock the version with the small analog clock inset into the dial (as opposed to a digital clock)? If so, it is possible that the hands have 'slipped' - they are notorious for actually falling off.
Andy's suggestion is a good one.- go into the MFD and set the time to a random time. The chrono clock should mimic this. If it approximates it, is the difference the same as it was when the dash time was correct? I mean, if it was 2 minutes different before, is it still 2 minutes different now, or something else entirely?
The clock has the digital time and small clock underneath it. It displays a different time every time I either program it or I turn on the GPS time and don't think the hands have slipped.
I'm pretty sure its a bad Sport Chrono clock and dead TPMS sensors, as the previous set of wheels/tires read just fine on the MFD.

Thanks for all the information/advice/troubleshooting ideas as they are concise and helpful.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

The clock has the digital time and small clock underneath it. It displays a different time every time I either program it or I turn on the GPS time and don't think the hands have slipped.
I'm pretty sure its a bad Sport Chrono clock and dead TPMS sensors, as the previous set of wheels/tires read just fine on the MFD.

Thanks for all the information/advice/troubleshooting ideas as they are concise and helpful.
Can confirm TPMS doesn't need PCM. I swap out my wheels recently and also replace all 4 TPMS and the car registers it. The TPMS control module is a separate box mounted under the car. Love the techno wheels btw.

Last edited by bmxtreme; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (Today)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1