Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I second that as mine was a 2013 C4S and it worked great.
Also, works perfectly (including backup camera) on my 2012.5 991.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 AM
gregf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I did ask the vendor. Here was the back and forth:

Also I found another vendor - different to Naviplus which seems to have a better kit which addresses the sat radio issue and has a better microphone that can be hidden (which is very important)

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
The site says they do not ship to the USA or Canada ...
Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM
drewman75
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koala
Yes, it will. Our cars are identical (2013, 3.43).
Oh wow. So it does work for 3.43? No idea why, but I was thinking it wouldn't work unless it was 4.x. But maybe I was thinking of some other product. So basically as long as its the CDR+ with the Navi and Source buttons, and not the TP and AUX buttons, it will work regardless of the PCM software version? Is adding a backup cam with the system where the 3.x versus 4.x comes in? I bought the kit while I search for a 981 to replace my recently sold 987. And have been only considering ones with V 4.x. So I guess if 3.x supports both this and a camera add, that would significantly expand my pool of options since it seems like most 2013s and a lot of 2014s are 3.x. So I had been searching only for later 2014s and up.

Last edited by drewman75; 02-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Sort of bummed to miss out on this. I just acquired my 991.1S (2012) and haven't owned it long enough to figure out where the shortcomings are but the infotainment system seems to be one area. Oh well, maybe someone else will have a viable solution as well in the near future.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 PM
drewman75
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Sort of bummed to miss out on this. I just acquired my 991.1S (2012) and haven't owned it long enough to figure out where the shortcomings are but the infotainment system seems to be one area. Oh well, maybe someone else will have a viable solution as well in the near future.
Vincenz0, I would be happy to sell you mine. I just recently bought it and never even pulled anything out of the box. I had purchased in anticipation of buying a 981 and then ended up getting a ridiculous deal on a 718 instead. So I have no use for it.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

@drewman75 I'll keep you posted. I think I decided to hold off for now until I've owned the car a bit longer and figure out what limitations I want to address in terms of the infotainment system. Thanks for the offer though!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Quarter Mill
1st Gear

Default 2010 Porsche Panamera

[QUOTE=wizard263789;15483094]
Does this system work on a 2010 Porsche Panamera with a PCM 3.1
Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drewman75
Vincenz0, I would be happy to sell you mine. I just recently bought it and never even pulled anything out of the box. I had purchased in anticipation of buying a 981 and then ended up getting a ridiculous deal on a 718 instead. So I have no use for it.
HI drewman,

Interested in the kit and PM set.

Scott
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM
tkkhoo
Track Day

I'd be interested too if the previous offers didn't pan out.
Hope NM automotive will start shipping to the US again soon.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Zero1Niner
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone seen this screen jumpiness issue?

The touchscreen mapping is still the same when its jumping all over the place as it is when its working normally. Its very random. Sometimes doesnt happen at all. Sometimes its the entire ride.

Last edited by Zero1Niner; 03-10-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Funky formatting for videos
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM
RYE
Racer

Looks like the ribbon cables inside the PCM interfacing with the screen do not have a good connection, or it’s a bad connection from the smartauto box to the PCM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Zero1Niner
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RYE
Looks like the ribbon cables inside the PCM interfacing with the screen do not have a good connection, or it’s a bad connection from the smartauto box to the PCM.
Yeah, that sounds right to me.

Trying to troubleshoot which it might be. When I switch out of CarPlay mode into the normal PCM modes, the screen is 100% solid and stable in all standard PCM modes. No sign of any jumpiness at all.

My thinking was that since the main PCM display ribbon cables are now attached directly to the new CarPlay circuit board that was installed, if it were any of the the ribbon cables in that setup that were loose or bad, that the jumpiness would be visible on all screen views, not only the carplay view. Does that sound like correct logic?

Which is leading me to think that is the cable that connects from the new circuit board to the smartauto module, or the smartauto module itself that might have a loose connection internally somewhere.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:37 PM
RYE
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner

Trying to troubleshoot which it might be. When I switch out of CarPlay mode into the normal PCM modes, the screen is 100% solid and stable in all standard PCM modes. No sign of any jumpiness at all.

My thinking was that since the main PCM display ribbon cables are now attached directly to the new CarPlay circuit board that was installed, if it were any of the the ribbon cables in that setup that were loose or bad, that the jumpiness would be visible on all screen views, not only the carplay view. Does that sound like correct logic?

Which is leading me to think that is the cable that connects from the new circuit board to the smartauto module, or the smartauto module itself that might have a loose connection internally somewhere.
Makes sense.

When I troubleshoot intermittent connection issues I usually start applying slight pressure or tapping on the connectors and / or circuit boards to see what happens. If unsuccessful I use a heat gun to slightly being up the temperature and then continue with pressure and tapping.

I remember that when I installed my unit I initially had an issue with the connector from the PCM to the smartauto box. Given the tight spaces fitting the smartauto box I had to bend the cable at the connector which resulted in the screen not working at all. I simply repositioned the box alleviating pressure on the connector.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

PC Board - LVDS

Integration Box - LVDS Connections
Originally Posted by Zero1Niner

I would focus on the LVDS connections to your - PC Board and connection male-female connectors ensuring all pins and wires are connected with a solid bond. Also check your harness to ensure wires are not under excessive stress or binding/tension.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:38 AM
Zero1Niner
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

PC Board - LVDS

Integration Box - LVDS Connections

I would focus on the LVDS connections to your - PC Board and connection male-female connectors ensuring all pins and wires are connected with a solid bond. Also check your harness to ensure wires are not under excessive stress or binding/tension.
Seems to be pointing to that. I will be ripping it out again this week and checking all of those connections carefully.

The interesting thing is that even when the screen is jumping around like that, the touchscreen mapping points stay exactly where they should be when its working normally. For example, sometimes when its acting up, the screen instead of jumping will just shift to the left, but touching the lower left hand corner still is the home button, and clicking on the right lower corder is still the next page toggle. And when its in that left shifted position, clicking on on of the app icons will open the app that is to the right of the one I tapped.

Seems its a video-only cable or connection that is loose. Sound is completely fine and uninterrupted. Doesnt lock up or any other odd behavior. Just that video display wackiness.

Not looking forward to tearing this all apart again, but it must be done...and maybe again afterwards if I end up needing to replace that LVDS cable.

Appreciate the excellent feedback on this.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1