Sponsored by:

Nick Murray Gets A Flat - Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:00 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
That is interesting also. Just curious if you do get a flat and pull the space saver out of the frunk where are you putting the full size wheel/tire to drive home? Will it fit in the frunk? Or are you going to wrap it up and put it in the back seat.
Yes, the wheel that comes off will likely be in the cabin with you. I have read that most just put it on the front passenger seat.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Keep in mind the spare shown by AF330i cannot be used on the rear. You have to take off the front tire, and move it to the rear, and put the spare upfront, in that event. At least that's how it was in the past.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413

Ouch!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Where did you come up with that?
Here is my version, and thread. Where I live and drive, not only is any tow sometimes a few hours away--I can often not even get a cell phone signal.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9833...-mounting.html

Old 01-26-2018, 07:33 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I would very much like to have a flat tire or two than having it in a ditch. Wrong tires, bad weather, dumbass driver (me); it’ll be all fix in roughly 3 months as I was told. 😭
Those pictures are painful to look at. Sorry for you! Summer tires , wet road and air temperatures under 40°??
Old 01-27-2018, 02:04 AM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I used a can of fix-a-flat once on my F430 Spider. My Ferrari dealer service manager, who is a good friend, told me to call them next time to send the truck because cleaning that junk off the wheel is a true pain in the ***.

Last edited by drgek; 01-27-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:45 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish Porsche will make or allow smaller rim tries as these tires have bigger sidewalls (it is not gonna happen unless I drive a classic 911). I am mostly driving in the city, I have no need for 20inch rims. In my another sports car, I had the tire get ripped due to small crappy pot hole.

5 Lug nut wheels for the win. I can not do CL tire changes on the street if I have to.

Triple A (AAA) is a MUST. All my friends and family have it, All Porsche drivers should have AAA coverage with Porsche Coverage etc
Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I would very much like to have a flat tire or two than having it in a ditch. Wrong tires, bad weather, dumbass driver (me); it’ll be all fix in roughly 3 months as I was told. ��
How did this happen? Is there a new thread about your incident.

sorry to see this, but it looks like you are alright which is the important thing here.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Keep in mind the spare shown by AF330i cannot be used on the rear. You have to take off the front tire, and move it to the rear, and put the spare upfront, in that event. At least that's how it was in the past.
I’m not quite sure of this I remember reading that when I had my 997 spare ... I did a test fit and it does fit the rear but I can see Porsche recommending what you are saying for safety reasons ...
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

That is interesting also. Just curious if you do get a flat and pull the space saver out of the frunk where are you putting the full size wheel/tire to drive home? Will it fit in the frunk? Or are you going to wrap it up and put it in the back seat.
i think it would fit in the front seat, I just brought my daughters A4 wheel/tire in for repair and that 18” wheel fit fine in the front seat with room to spare.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

In my 981 Cayman GTS, which also doesn't have a spare, I've had 3 flat tires in less than 3 years - somehow Bay Area roads are rife with tire-eating potholes, and we don't even get the freeze/thaw cycle that causes potholes in most regions! 2 times I've needed a flatbed, and once was just a slow leak from a screw I had picked up at some point.

I've found the Porsche roadside assistance to be extremely slow in getting a flatbed out - the two times I've called for one it's taken about an hour and a half - and once was in San Francisco proper, the other in Alameda (the city bordering Oakland) - so it's not like I was way out in the boonies.

I tried the wheel goop the first flat I had... it also just ran through the cut (which was on the corner of the bottom & sidewall) and ended up just causing a mess. The 981 forum told me to never bother with it since it just gunks everything up anyway.

Happy I bought wheel/tire insurance - I never expected these tires to be so prone to flats. (I think I had 1 flat in the 14 years I owned Nissan Zs before this, so I don't think it's me...)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:13 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Those pictures are painful to look at. Sorry for you! Summer tires , wet road and air temperatures under 40°??
Originally Posted by captainkirk
How did this happen? Is there a new thread about your incident.

sorry to see this, but it looks like you are alright which is the important thing here.
It was a cold 4.5ºC Sunday morning and rain pouring down hard when the car lost control at around 60km/h on a set of summer tires with 20000km. Definitely not the smartest thing for not having winter tires on, but my awd rx350 was in the repair shop at that time and the 911 was supposed to be hibernated. It'll take a couple months to get it all fixed up as I was told. I am totally okay, not a single scratch nor bruise. Thanks guys. I just want it back asap and put a new set of PS4S to get ready for the upcoming driving season. I did not start a new thread about the incident, but maybe I should do one when the car is back and I can make a comparison of before and after repairs. Cheers
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Your story definitely deserves its own thread if it isn't too painful to write. Might be cathartic and be a cautionary tale to others, though. I hope you get it back good as new. Best of luck.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It's good that the folding mirrors still work. Wouldn't want to have them damaged while sitting in the ditch.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the follow-up to the flat tire situation.

Quick Reply: Nick Murray Gets A Flat - Ouch!