Sponsored by:

ZR1 killer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawsofpower

I‘m missing your point. Ok, two street legal track cars. And? Someone quipped, apples to avocados IIRC.
I say more like legos and pet bunnies. You're all wrong.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I sort of hate Vettes, but I admit the new Grand Sport has been tugging at me. N/A V8, a rarely well balanced Vette, looks pretty awesome in that “soon dated but now cool overstated American car” way? Yes please.

The ZR1 and Z06 are hard no’s. Reigning in a sloppy overpowered Vette sounds about as fun as taming a Lion. Cool for dropping your nutts on someone on a message board (“my car is the fastest evar”) but in the real world, I’d have no use for the glutton of power.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
I sort of hate Vettes, but I admit the new Grand Sport has been tugging at me. N/A V8, a rarely well balanced Vette, looks pretty awesome in that “soon dated but now cool overstated American car” way? Yes please.

The ZR1 and Z06 are hard no’s. Reigning in a sloppy overpowered Vette sounds about as fun as taming a Lion. Cool for dropping your nutts on someone on a message board (“my car is the fastest evar”) but in the real world, I’d have no use for the glutton of power.
Did you ever test drive those sloppy new Z06 Corvettes? I drove a few...sloppy didn't come to mind.
Or are you trying to get all the Corvettes lovers out there angry so you can feel so so clever and powerful?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
Did you ever test drive those sloppy new Z06 Corvettes? I drove a few...sloppy didn't come to mind.
Or are you trying to get all the Corvettes lovers out there angry so you can feel so so clever and powerful?
I have not, but I feel like every track video I’ve watched about it states they’re not really precise tools. In fact, MT’s main heralding over the Grand Sport (during their best drivers car track segment) was akin to it’s “actually a Vette that feels balanced (unlike the Z06).”

Plus, I have zero use for a 600whatever powered car. Driving it on the public roads I’m subject to sounds more frustrating than freeing.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I’ve driven a manual Z06 and have nothing bad to say about it, it’s really an incredible car, GS too, the only thing is the Viper is a little more my personal style so if I were getting a 650ish hp American sports car that’s the way I’d go.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

I have not, but I feel like every track video I’ve watched about it states they’re not really precise tools. In fact, MT’s main heralding over the Grand Sport (during their best drivers car track segment) was akin to it’s “actually a Vette that feels balanced (unlike the Z06).”

Plus, I have zero use for a 600whatever powered car. Driving it on the public roads I’m subject to sounds more frustrating than freeing.
Pretty bold statement regarding Z06 handling from a guy who's never even driven one. It's not an unbalanced car, it just has gobs of power (torque), so you can't mash the throttle wherever on track and then sort things out. It takes respect and restraint. It is not as precise as a GT3 (for example) on track, yet it's equally fast. The two cars simply get around a circuit differently. Yes, the Z06 is a bit much for the street, but I still enjoy the car overall.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Pretty bold statement regarding Z06 handling from a guy who's never even driven one. It's not an unbalanced car, it just has gobs of power (torque), so you can't mash the throttle wherever on track and then sort things out. It takes respect and restraint. It is not as precise as a GT3 (for example) on track, yet it's equally fast. The two cars simply get around a circuit differently. Yes, the Z06 is a bit much for the street, but I still enjoy the car overall.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s an awesome car. I don’t need to drive it to know that. But based on all I’ve seen re: Grand Sport to the Z06, I like that the Grand Sport appears to fill that “just right” balance, which most state is fairly surprising amidst the pretty radical C7 gen offerings. Which was more so my original point.

I can find the videos, but some of the MT tests showed the Z06 as too hard to tame. Which in fairness is its own kind of fun and challenge (arguably can make driving more fun). But 650 HP is just way more than I can even get near exploring.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Fair point and I'd go as far as to say that the GS with the Z07 package is plenty of car for most of the tracks that I frequent. The Z06 is most definitely a handful and can be a bit intimidating. I have enough track experience to know that I'm not wringing it out...I need bigger *****.

Honestly, I really don't get the point of the ZR1. The last thing the Z06 needs is more power. But then again 'Merica.

Also, full disclosure, I'm shopping for a Porsche again. Trying to scratch that itch.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I test drove a Z06 before i ordered my 911 GTS. Beastly engine and handling. But it just felt so unsettled, I couldn't give it more than 50% throttle without the rear stepping out. I also hate Chevy Interiors, I actually like the Viper's way more.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Honestly, I really don't get the point of the ZR1. The last thing the Z06 needs is more power. But then again 'Merica.
Hahaha. That pretty much explains it.

I didn’t know you track your car. That’s a whole different world entirely (one where you can at least really start to at least somewhat explore that HP in a much safer and more forgiving environment), so makes sense. I have no truly accessible tracks around me, so backroads are pretty much where my car preferences need to be best suited to.

But I hear ya. ZR1 seems ridiculous to me. But hey, if you build it.... someone will come.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:44 AM
RRDnA
Banned

C8........
Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

Hahaha. That pretty much explains it.

I didn’t know you track your car. That’s a whole different world entirely (one where you can at least really start to at least somewhat explore that HP in a much safer and more forgiving environment), so makes sense. I have no truly accessible tracks around me, so backroads are pretty much where my car preferences need to be best suited to.

But I hear ya. ZR1 seems ridiculous to me. But hey, if you build it.... someone will come.
You must be right, a TTS has 580 HP that's the cut off for HP on the street in your mind? Anything beyond is just you trying to start AGAIN trouble with Corvette lovers! You need a hobby.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
You must be right, a TTS has 580 HP that's the cut off for HP on the street in your mind? Anything beyond is just you trying to start AGAIN trouble with Corvette lovers! You need a hobby.
The TTS is the last car suitable for my needs. Blisteringly fast, clinically quiet, surgically capable, and needs to go fast (and fast in a TTS is immense speed) in order to really get a sensory experience out of it. The Z06 and TTS put their gluttonous power down at almost opposite angles.

It’s funny because as we speak.... err type, I’m watching Grand Sport and Z06 review videos. They all seem to echo what I said about Z06’s. I never said a Z06 isn’t an impressive or cool car.

I guess according to your logic, they’re just trying to start trouble with Corvette lovers too.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by RRDnA
C8........
THAT will be interesting. I've been following and Corvette could become a spinoff of the whole brand. Also - I poke fun at US manufacturers as much as anyone but when they want to win - they do. The original Ford GT was nothing more than to lash out at Ferrari for not selling to Ford. And the new one outperforms a 918 at half the cost (comparing MSRP to MSRP). A complete redesign from scratch of a mid engine Vette will likely be the giant killer of this century - and likely a 6 figure car.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A

The TTS is the last car suitable for my needs. Blisteringly fast, clinically quiet, surgically capable, and needs to go fast (and fast in a TTS is immense speed) in order to really get a sensory experience out of it. The Z06 and TTS put their gluttonous power down at almost opposite angles.

It’s funny because as we speak.... err type, I’m watching Grand Sport and Z06 review videos. They all seem to echo what I said about Z06’s. I never said a Z06 isn’t an impressive or cool car.

I guess according to your logic, they’re just trying to start trouble with Corvette lovers too.
You know what's part Corvette and has a liking to a modern day AC cobra for ~$75K: https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/ND.php

Quick Reply: ZR1 killer?