Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye 991.2 GTS (and mini review). But... staying in the family.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Congrats on the GT3! Color me jealous (in a hue as loud as your new paint).

I enjoyed driving the GTS for the reasons of several of your pro points. But I understand 100% on where you’re coming from in terms of what drew you into craving the sensory experience so well culminated by the GT3.
Thanks K-A. Appreciate it. I know you’re an empassioned driver and I’ve seen you get involved in various heated debates about NA vs FI, etc. While I haven’t fully agreed with all of your views on this topic and on 991.1 vs 991.2, one thing is clear. I completely respect the emotion and passion you bring to the discussion when underscoring your arguments. That’s actually a common fabric among many of us on this forum, which is why we get into these heated debates to begin with. What’s clear to me is that there is no right answer in any of these choices - except for the one that will put the maximum smile on your face. As such, I wanted to be clear in this post that I’m not leaving the GTS because the GT3 is better - perhaps it is in many ways and it isn’t in others. But, on the whole, it’s a different car and I fully appreciate that the GTS can actually be the better choice for many. My needs just happen to be different.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by tstafford
For what you want, the GT3 will be terrific.
Thanks. Fingers crossed. You never really know until you’ve lived with it awhile. But something tells me that it’ll be a blast.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Congrats! We all know Guards Red is the fastest color!

Although - sadly it is very hard to take care of.
Thanks R_Rated. I eventually discarded the idea of GT Silver and was weighing Black, White and GR. My detailer told me that both black and white would have been more challenging to maintain than red. But red will be more challenging than GT Silver. That’s ok, though. More opportunity for me to wash my car and enjoy its visual appeal energy from the outside, not just from inside the cabin!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by tstafford
If you dislike the PDK, aren't going to track it a lot and you are only using the car on the weekends, the GT3 in manual makes a ton of sense.

Note: This coming from someone who just sold an RS and bought a C2S
I can’t wait to try the 6-speed manual from the 911R. Everything I’ve heard and read about it suggest that it’s amazing.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Great post, linusto! A very well put together and thought through contribution, and with pics! What's not to like?!

Lucky chap to get the GT3 allocation and can completely understand your reasoning there. Am quite jealous!

I've seen a 991.1 GT3 in Guards Red in the metal and it looked amazing.

Are you going for those internal cabin highlights in Guards Red, as shown in those photos?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Great post. My 991.2 is GR and I LOVE it. Your GT3 will be absolutely amazing. I'll look for you in the GTA. Congratulations.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto

Thanks R_Rated. I eventually discarded the idea of GT Silver and was weighing Black, White and GR. My detailer told me that both black and white would have been more challenging to maintain than red. But red will be more challenging than GT Silver. That’s ok, though. More opportunity for me to wash my car and enjoy its visual appeal energy from the outside, not just from inside the cabin!
mine is no GT car but the condition is better than new and completely plastic wrapped and she’s red hot!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated

mine is no GT car but the condition is better than new and completely plastic wrapped and she’s red hot!

Doesn’t matter that it’s not a GT car. It’s beautiful and I would not have thought red works with silver rims, but strangely it does. I envy you convertible folks. If I didn’t have my Miata, I’d have given serious consider to a top-down P car.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911boy
Great post. My 991.2 is GR and I LOVE it. Your GT3 will be absolutely amazing. I'll look for you in the GTA. Congratulations.
Thanks and nice to hear from other GR folks, especially those that still love the colour. I’m really happy I went with it. I has that certain hue to it that I just can’t put my finger on. I guess why that’s why it’s remained a classic Porsche colour for many years.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Great post, linusto! A very well put together and thought through contribution, and with pics! What's not to like?!

Lucky chap to get the GT3 allocation and can completely understand your reasoning there. Am quite jealous!

I've seen a 991.1 GT3 in Guards Red in the metal and it looked amazing.

Are you going for those internal cabin highlights in Guards Red, as shown in those photos?
Thanks Wing Commander. I am lucky to have received the allocation. I still can’t believe it. My cabin is going to be slightly different. Here are some pics from then configurator.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Linusto -

I haven't seen you in awhile and read your post . I want to first wish you the best in whatever direction you choose . These cars are about enjoyment and if you feel a Gt3 will do ut for you then good luck . I was presented today with a similar proposition . As you know when we met in Florida I am close with the folks who have cared for my cars in the last 20 years . I inquired on saturday about a Gt3 and got an answer today . I have a slot if I want it but I must decide now . More on my decision at the end .

As you know I have a garage queen impractical car . I also have a GTS that I drive EVERYWHERE . It would go to the train station , the supermarket or anywhere else . It is a daily driver . When you bought your GTS I had thought you picked the AWD for snow as i have not seen snow since the early 90's . I felt you picked a practical car for Canada and it turned out not to be. I know that you mentioned PDK and I wish i could detail in a separate post how PDK evolved since 09 (I had an 09 car) and how "normal" mode and right foot modulation is one aspect of driving which is often overlooked . I am quite rare in that i love both manual and PDK equally .

So I looked at my impractical car and asked my wife . I pointed out that despite loving my car I rarely drive it. I asked her about your post . Her replay made sense . She told me that if you didnt buy the Gt3 you might regret having not done it . I asked her about my car and that I never drive it and she said "maybe everyone needs to go through this at least once" .

So back to my decision .. if i buy a Gt3 I would have to sell my modded Turbo . I would not sell my GTS . I love the car as a daily car . I just cant see it and espite always having wanted a Gt3 I feel it;s a car which either would become like an art piece , or belongs to an experienced driver who is ready to track it to the limits . If driven on the street at the high revs where the car really shines for prolonged time one risks losing his license and to simply sit in traffic revving an engine with an occasion sprint just cant be enough to sway me .. yet !! LOL .

I told then no and thanked them . So I read your post and will live vicariously with your Gt3 .
Congrats !!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you over thought this. In reality it’s an obvious move in the right direction if you wanted a more involving experience. I had a 50th (GTS) and it’s a very good if not great car. But it’s made to do many things well in all situations and it does a great job, and yes it would be cool to keep both, but the GT3 is made to give you as much involvement as you can possibly get with out being in a cup car. It’s a little rough around the edges for going to your mother in laws house on Sunday afternoon but it can do it. But in the twisties or even better on the track it delivers more than other 911’s. I’ve read more than one GT2RS review where the writer stated he missed the involvement of the GT3 over the pure unadulterated power of the GT2RS, and that’s saying a lot. This is my 3rd GT3. I had a modded 996 GT3, sold that for a 997.1 GT3, then let that go when I sensed the credit crash in 08. Since then I have been missing that experience and chasing that experience ever since. I was going to buy a 991.1 GT3 when the stop driving order came out so I bought a 50 th instead and that was a great car but in the back of my mind the GT3 was calling the whole time. Then when the 4 L came out I pulled out all the stops to get this one.
From your long justification I’m guessing you’ll love every minute of this special car. I have no doubt. Congrats on your allocation! Sure one half year maybe a little quick but the chance to grab this GT3 may not come around again for awhile and you should take advantage of it if this is what you want to do. With rumors saying production will only last till December 2018 you should grab it. Who knows what the 992 GT3 will be?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Looks a lot like my 997 GT3! Love it, enjoy

!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:48 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Your decision makes perfect sense to me. The C4 GTS is a perfect do-everything, all-the-time car. But that's not what you're using it for. I myself have a boring hybrid for a DD. When I want to go have fun, I get into my modded S2000. It rides stiff, it has stiff engine mounts which make a lot of noise, and it's perfect for when I want to go wring out a car and have fun at track days or on twisty roads. It's pretty bad to commute in; I can't drink out of a bottle/cup while driving down the freeway if it's a bit bumpy (as all the freeways around Los Angeles are) because the suspension is so stiff, there's lots of noise with convertible top, etc. I did DD the S2000 for 3 years before I modded it too much towards the track side. Just a thought for your 3 minute commute drive, go buy a used Nissan leaf or Fiat 500e for dirt cheap. You could charge it using your 110V wall outlet for 30 min a day and it would be enough to cover your commute. Also don't have to feel bad about not getting an engine up to temp with such a short drive.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:19 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto

I was actually looking at GT Silver once again but I did loosen up as well and ended up choosing GR. It took a lot of deliberation to get to that point given that I’m pushing closer to 50 now and I don’t want to be thought of as THAT guy with the mid-life crisis. But I suspect this is inevitable
Pushing 50, Hell, I just turned 51, I went with Miami Blue, but Guards Red or Racing Yellow would have worked also if they had one in the USA with the equipment I wanted last August. Mid-life crisis, lol, I am sure many think that of me, I could care less I got this car and color for me and me only because I have been a Porsche nut since I was 8 years old and I like bold colors. Go with what you like, to Hell with what anybody else thinks.

Beside I had to go with Blue as my other P-car is Guards Red, well the DD Prius, lol! Also, I believe its called ultimate red! Nobody is accusing me of a mid life crisis in my bright red Prius ; )

Your Guards Red GT3 will be awesome, can’t wait to see it!

Quick Reply: Goodbye 991.2 GTS (and mini review). But... staying in the family.