Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye 991.2 GTS (and mini review). But... staying in the family.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto
K-A, I did not know that about the Macan PDK. Pity. I also vaguely remember what the PDK-S in the .1 GT3 feels like - a pretty big departure from standard 911 PDK if memory serves.
Interestingly, I’ve been addicted to GT3 videos recently which has surprised my PDK sensibilities once more.

When I had my Macan, I thought “how can an auto tranny shift faster than this?” Then my 991 especially in S/C mode shifts SO fast, I’m like “wow, amazing how much a difference milliseconds can make, way faster!” After watching said GT3 videos, I’m like.... WTF.... how the hell does that so noticeably shift faster than my car?!” Funny how that works. And that was from a .1 GT3 video! I’m sure the .2 will move the goalposts once again.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Op - congrats and quite the long, almost apologetic, post on swapping from a turbo to an NA GT3, a decision that would have taken me exactly 1 second.

Enjoy the new toy, make lots of noise and to hell with the downsized displacement turbo foolery forced upon us!
Hope the beancounters @ Porsche HQ are reading this...you greedy fools!
Thanks Bemo. I have nothing against turbos if well deployed but there is just something special about getting behind the wheel of one of the last NA beasts. Hard to pass up this opportunity.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:37 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by 72offsuit
Congrats, I have become a big fan of the bright colored sports car in my old age and traded my GT Silver Targa for a Saffron Yellow Turbo S. Happy to be driving the original turbo, even though I quite liked the new one as well. Enjoy your GT3!
72offsuit, I commend you for the bright bold colour. There’s nothing wrong with a conservative colour, but for some people like myself, it takes a lot of guts to choose a bold and real colour. A bit out of character for me, but nothing wrong with that. It will add to the special feeling I’ll get when opening up the garage.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by texascarlover
LOL!!! May story is almost precisely the same. I have a pdk.2GTS also and now have an Irish Green GT3 Touring manual on the way! I think I’m keeping the GTS though. I love it!
Wow. Lucky you to have both in the stable. And PTS on the 3. Fantastic. Congrats and let’s see pics of the Irish Green when it lands.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 PM
linusto
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

Interestingly, I’ve been addicted to GT3 videos recently which has surprised my PDK sensibilities once more.

When I had my Macan, I thought “how can an auto tranny shift faster than this?” Then my 991 especially in S/C mode shifts SO fast, I’m like “wow, amazing how much a difference milliseconds can make, way faster!” After watching said GT3 videos, I’m like.... WTF.... how the hell does that so noticeably shift faster than my car?!” Funny how that works. And that was from a .1 GT3 video! I’m sure the .2 will move the goalposts once again.
For me, the manual evokes the same emotive element that the sound and feel of NA does. That’s not to say that the PDK-S isn’t great, it’s just that I want that sense of deeper connection and involvement with the GT3 and don’t care about lap times or having a computer shift for me no matter how good. Of course, if my reason for purchase was to track, them PDK definitely needs to enter the thought process. But my use is street driving, back roads and twisties. With the automotive industry changing so quickly, I struggle to see how I’ll be able to choose NA + manual in the near future to serve that purpose.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by linusto

For me, the manual evokes the same emotive element that the sound and feel of NA does. That’s not to say that the PDK-S isn’t great, it’s just that I want that sense of deeper connection and involvement with the GT3 and don’t care about lap times or having a computer shift for me no matter how good. Of course, if my reason for purchase was to track, them PDK definitely needs to enter the thought process. But my use is street driving, back roads and twisties. With the automotive industry changing so quickly, I struggle to see how I’ll be able to choose NA + manual in the near future to serve that purpose.
Oh, missed that you got a manual. I wish my C2 was a manual.

As for PDK-S vs manual, PDK-S is brilliant, but you kidding me?! The return of the manual mated to the art piece of an engine you’ve got, is the ONLY way to go. The 911 R was being advertised by $1M prior to the .2 GT3 simply because of that 500HP N/A + manual combo. What you’ve got is an orgy of sensory sensation with that drivetrain combo. You made the right choice.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 991.2 GTS (and mini review). But... staying in the family.