Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you break-in your car per the manual?
Yes
59.84%
No
40.16%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

US Car break-in poll...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

The only bad way to break-in a car is to take it to red line on a cold engine, which is precisely the way some new cars on dealers lots are abused. One of my sons worked summers as a lot boy many years ago at a local Porsche dealership, and he told me that he was surprised how many people spun wheels and accelerated to red line as soon as they got the Porsche off the dealer's lot. Just wondering if these cars experienced any problems after a couple years.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I recommend the recommendations of the recommended recommender.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

I hedge my bets. I follow US rules per the manual... for 1000 miles. Then all bets are off. I have a couple reasons, but one of the biggest is just flexing my self-control muscles for 1000 miles, figuring it's good for me, it's probably good for the car.

But 2000 miles? For most of us who only put 10,000 miles on the car before trading it, that's 20% of its life.

My current Porsche had 4000 miles on it when I bought it, so who knows what was done when it was new? I never think about it though.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:00 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I hedge my bets. I follow US rules per the manual... for 1000 miles. Then all bets are off. I have a couple reasons, but one of the biggest is just flexing my self-control muscles for 1000 miles, figuring it's good for me, it's probably good for the car.

But 2000 miles? For most of us who only put 10,000 miles on the car before trading it, that's 20% of its life.

My current Porsche had 4000 miles on it when I bought it, so who knows what was done when it was new? I never think about it though.
Same here ^^.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Take girl on first date ...

One has sex with you first date and blows you on way to dinner.

Other makes you wait a few months and exclusively dating.

Which one would you want to keep long term?
Wait a few MONTHS? I'll take the first one.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Hmmm. Is she paying for dinner as well?
T
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
My GF criteria always started with "can she drive an MT car?" If the answer was 'no' then she was not going to be a keeper, and more-often than not, not worth a first date...
Old 01-21-2018, 02:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Because there are 313k posts on this forum and only 28k on the turbo forum, and it dawned on me that I could get more data asking a wider audience. I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone.
I was just listening to Scott Adams talk about the recent Jordan Peterson viral demolition of Cathy Newman on YouTube. If you ever want to see an epic take-down of a snooty self-assured liberal ideologue, this is and I'm sure will be the gold standard for many years to come. Scott Adams talks about the cognitive dissonance Newman goes through and points out the hallucinations she has that have her saying he said things he never did say. The root of all this is he keeps demonstrating that she believes things she never did understand, but wants to keep believing, even though by the end of the interview its pretty clear she has no reasons to believe them. So yeah, cognitive dissonance can be upsetting.

The reason that's what this is, the factory puts that message in the US, but not in a lot of other countries. Then when Americans actually go to the factory, or talk to factory representatives, inevitably they are told there is no reason at all to baby the car. Warm it up, drive it as hard as you like. Its a Porsche.

Now as if that's not enough cognitive dissonance, there are a whole ton of solid engineering reasons, motorsports practices, and anecdotal builder experience behind a completely OPPOSITE approach, which is to run the car VERY HARD especially in the first few miles, following a very deliberate mode of hard acceleration and deceleration focused on achieving the best piston ring/cylinder bore seal. Seating the rings. That was the point of my Jake Raby comment. Jake Raby of Flat-Six Innovations, probably the pre-eminent Porsche engine rebuilder on the continent, does exactly this- personally - with every engine he builds. Since that is what we call an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy, I hate to even mention it. But its worth it just to amp up the cognitive dissonance to Spinal Tap Eleven.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I was just listening to Scott Adams talk about the recent Jordan Peterson viral demolition of Cathy Newman on YouTube. If you ever want to see an epic take-down of a snooty self-assured liberal ideologue, this is and I'm sure will be the gold standard for many years to come. Scott Adams talks about the cognitive dissonance Newman goes through and points out the hallucinations she has that have her saying he said things he never did say. The root of all this is he keeps demonstrating that she believes things she never did understand, but wants to keep believing, even though by the end of the interview its pretty clear she has no reasons to believe them. So yeah, cognitive dissonance can be upsetting.

The reason that's what this is, the factory puts that message in the US, but not in a lot of other countries. Then when Americans actually go to the factory, or talk to factory representatives, inevitably they are told there is no reason at all to baby the car. Warm it up, drive it as hard as you like. Its a Porsche.

Now as if that's not enough cognitive dissonance, there are a whole ton of solid engineering reasons, motorsports practices, and anecdotal builder experience behind a completely OPPOSITE approach, which is to run the car VERY HARD especially in the first few miles, following a very deliberate mode of hard acceleration and deceleration focused on achieving the best piston ring/cylinder bore seal. Seating the rings. That was the point of my Jake Raby comment. Jake Raby of Flat-Six Innovations, probably the pre-eminent Porsche engine rebuilder on the continent, does exactly this- personally - with every engine he builds. Since that is what we call an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy, I hate to even mention it. But its worth it just to amp up the cognitive dissonance to Spinal Tap Eleven.
Well, while on the topic of logical fallacies, clearly the whole idea of a poll is an "appeal to the masses" which is equally flawed. I still find value in this poll though, even if it evokes some upsetting cognitive dissonance. Based on the prior threads, I would have never guessed that a clear majority is following the book. There's probably a self-selection bias among the people who explain/justify their position, however, and among people who quietly tick a box on a poll without explanation, so I accept that this poll is only accurate to +/- eleventeen percent.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Seems kinda arbitrary to me. IMHO, either you believe in the recommendations or you don't. Why wait 1000 miles? Why not 900 or 1100?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:39 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I highly doubt you'll find any two people who followed the exact same break-in procedure or find a particular pattern. I find it hard to believe that even following the US manual, for 2,000 miles you did not let the RPMs go past 4000 RPM once (e.g. 4001 RPM), if so that is some serious exercise of restraint.

Same as some others, I *always* let the car reach operating temps before hitting the throttle hard, then try increase max RPMs as mileage increases (nothing precise about my break-in). I definitely exceeded 4000 RPM, even 5000 RPM even before 500 miles were on the car. Didn't hit redline for a little while.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:03 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

I follow US rules per the manual... for 1000 miles. I have a couple reasons, but one of the biggest is just flexing my self-control muscles for 1000 miles, figuring it's good for me, it's probably good for the car.
Originally Posted by mb1
Seems kinda arbitrary to me. IMHO, either you believe in the recommendations or you don't. Why wait 1000 miles? Why not 900 or 1100?
Hopefully rereading my post, which I've thoughtfully quoted and highlighted, will clear it up for you. If not, I'm afraid I don't know how to amplify, clarify, or further demystify my position.

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I will admit I am a bit skeptical

Originally Posted by STG

Originally Posted by Michael_s

Easy. Both of them! What did I win?

That was exactly my issue after i broke in my 1st GT4, and said, bull**** 1000 miles is more than enough !!
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I highly doubt you'll find any two people who followed the exact same break-in procedure or find a particular pattern. I find it hard to believe that even following the US manual, for 2,000 miles you did not let the RPMs go past 4000 RPM once (e.g. 4001 RPM), if so that is some serious exercise of restraint.

Same as some others, I *always* let the car reach operating temps before hitting the throttle hard, then try increase max RPMs as mileage increases (nothing precise about my break-in). I definitely exceeded 4000 RPM, even 5000 RPM even before 500 miles were on the car. Didn't hit redline for a little while.
My line of thinking
So if I answer the poll it would yes ,I followed the breakin and then my answer would be, no I wound not follow it again
But then again its not a 991 but rather a 981
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 03-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My first Porsche was a Boxter 781 which I bought used with almost 1.800 miles so I never worried about engine break in.

My second car was a 991.2 Base Carrera Coupe and at the time of purchase, my dealer told me just to go ahead and drive it without worrying about break in. Actually, I received my car on Friday and on Saturday I went to a track day. Going to the track, our average speed was over 100 m/hr and we did several hard laps once in the circuit. I sold the car with 6.800 miles on it and never had a problem with the engine. Actually, the engine wasn't consuming oil at all and had a lot of power

Now I'm driving a 991.2 Base Carrera Cabrio which only has 620 miles. When picking up the car (first days of January), my dealer didn't mentioned anything about break in. Nevertheless, with this car I have decided to follow some of the suggestions about engine break in so I didn't reved the car passed 4.000 rpm for the first 500 miles. Now I'm slowly revving up the engine but still trying to keep it below 5.000 rpm. This

For the first couple of hundred miles, I could tell that the engine was very tight and that was confirmed by a very poor fuel consumption. As I put more mileage to the car, I can tell that the engine is looser, reacting faster and that fuel economy is improving. Big part of the milage has been done on a highway, with no cruise control and making sure to vary the rpm's. I never noticed this before in my previous car but maybe it was due to the fact that I wasn't paying attention. Now that I've been paying attention to the break in, I can really see a difference in the engine as miles start adding up.

Will this make a difference in my future engine life ? Really don't know, but since I'm planning to keep this car for a longer time, why take the risk and not do it ? It is difficult not revving your car to the limit and behave as a conscious driver ? For sure it is...... but is not impossible.

By the way.... I'm not from the US and the manual provided in my car doesn't have any mentions to engine break in. I have looked at all the manuals that were included in my car and none of them mentions anything about how you should drive the car for the first couple of thousand miles.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38

By the way.... I'm not from the US and the manual provided in my car doesn't have any mentions to engine break in. I have looked at all the manuals that were included in my car and none of them mentions anything about how you should drive the car for the first couple of thousand miles.
Can you share which country you are from? I would be surprised if your manual did not have anything about breaking in your engine. Below is the US manual procedure for a 991.2 on page 16 of the manual.

Quick Reply: US Car break-in poll...