Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM
houmamali
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport/ Sport Plus with MT

Hello!

This is my first post (so be nice)!
I'm trying to finalize which pre-owned 991 to go with. I've found great options nationwide. Here's my question for this group:
- Which 991 model year is best (if the cost is not an issue) as I can't find an online source that shows the differences in 991 from 2013 to the present time.
- My personal preference is to go with MT. If that is the case, does the Sport Plus mode matter?

Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by houmamali
Hello!

This is my first post (so be nice)!
I'm trying to finalize which pre-owned 991 to go with. I've found great options nationwide. Here's my question for this group:
- Which 991 model year is best (if the cost is not an issue) as I can't find an online source that shows the differences in 991 from 2013 to the present time.
- My personal preference is to go with MT. If that is the case, does the Sport Plus mode matter?

Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum! Yes, Sport/Sport Plus matters. Changes the handling and throttle characteristics of the car. As for the difference between the 1st and 2nd generations, the biggest difference is that the 2nd gen has 3.0L turbo engine as opposed to a 3.8L natually aspirated engine. The 2nd gen is about +20HP/TQ over the first gen, but you lose that magical naturally aspirated exhaust note. The other difference is the PCM, but the differences there are slight, as well as some minor cosmetic changes to the body..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

At last count there were almost 30 variants of 991.1 (not counting the numerous iterations of the 991.2).
Most folks swear by their 991.1 GTS, being naturally aspirated and the last of a dying breed.
This link should help you..
https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-mo...1/991/carrera/

Last edited by duxsi; 01-16-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

Both the 991.1 and 991.2 models are great cars. IMO, if you are going to buy the 991.1, get the S model. The 3.4 L in the base 991.1 is a little down in torque but the car is by no means slow. The NA engines in the 991.1s sound more raucous. The 3.4 L that I had in my Boxster was very nice and perfect for that car. if you get the sport exhaust in the NA engines, they do tend to drone below 3k rpms and can be annoying. Depends on your tolerance for loud cars.
To get sport plus, in both the 991.1 and 2 models, you need to spring for the sport chrono package. Sport plus puts the standard PASM shocks (standard in the S models in the 991.1 and optional in the base and standard for the base and S Carreras for the 991.2s) in stiffer mode. The sport chrono package also adds dynamic engine mounts that supposedly compensate for the *** heavy car.
PASM in sport plus can deliver a pretty harsh ride so I never use it. Sport plus mode with the MT in my 991.2 4s adds faster throttle response and takes away some of the backfiring sounds you get in sport mode (accentuated if you opt for the sport exhaust).
And another thing, you need the sport chrono package to get rev matching. Rev matching happens in sport mode and sport plus mode in the 991.2 and only in the sport plus mode in the 991.1.
I am sure I will be corrected on some of these points.
I am biased so I will recommend the 991.2. Just about everything is improved in the car including the 7 speed MT.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM
houmamali
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses (even the smart *** comments by freeman?).
I think I have a better understanding on the Sport/ Sport Plus part of the question. As to the model question, I should've been more specific. I know I'm going with a 991, more leaning towards the 991.1 - my question was which year is better, if there is any difference. So far, I'm leaning towards the 2015, as its the last 3.8 engines. Unless someone disagrees?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:15 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

If you're thinking of a manual you may want to focus on the GTS which I think was 2015 or a 2017 non-GTS. Prior to these models shifting from 2nd to 3rd at speed was tricky (unless you were perfect it wouldn't slot into third) due to the manual tranny sharing it's configuration with the PDK, and on the street you'll be in 2nd and 3rd a lot.

Check out STG's Hot For Sale thread for great buying insights and deals. There are a ton of awesome deals to be had on the .1 non GTS cars. The sound is engaging and it's a great car. I like the lower end torque on the .2s but there's something for everyone in both generations.

I strongly encourage you to head to your local dealer and drive them (including different transmissions). Trust your gut reaction and if the dealer is a good one they'll work with you to help you find a pre-owned one and can certify it which will extend the base warranty from 4 years/50k miles to 6/100k, or help you order a new one for a fair discount.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
If you're thinking of a manual you may want to focus on the GTS which I think was 2015 or a 2017 non-GTS. Prior to these models shifting from 2nd to 3rd at speed was tricky (unless you were perfect it wouldn't slot into third) due to the manual tranny sharing it's configuration with the PDK, and on the street you'll be in 2nd and 3rd a lot.

Check out STG's Hot For Sale thread for great buying insights and deals. There are a ton of awesome deals to be had on the .1 non GTS cars. The sound is engaging and it's a great car. I like the lower end torque on the .2s but there's something for everyone in both generations.

I strongly encourage you to head to your local dealer and drive them (including different transmissions). Trust your gut reaction and if the dealer is a good one they'll work with you to help you find a pre-owned one and can certify it which will extend the base warranty from 4 years/50k miles to 6/100k, or help you order a new one for a fair discount.
is that spoken from experience regarding the transmission? Never heard that and my 2012 base is perfectly crisp in every gear.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes see my signature line...plus check out every article on the GTS as they mention the improved MT shifting..
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the responses (even the smart *** comments by freeman?).
I think I have a better understanding on the Sport/ Sport Plus part of the question. As to the model question, I should've been more specific. I know I'm going with a 991, more leaning towards the 991.1 - my question was which year is better, if there is any difference. So far, I'm leaning towards the 2015, as its the last 3.8 engines. Unless someone disagrees?
Houmamali,
Welcome to Rennlist. 2016 was the last year for the 3.8 engine. The 3.8 liter NA engine in the 991.1 ran from 2012.5 - 2016 whereas the 3.0 turbo is in the 991.2 (2017-2018 models). If you haven't done so drive both and decide. Both great cars and great engines.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Yes see my signature line...plus check out every article on the GTS as they mention the improved MT shifting..
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with dkmesa on this one. I have a MT 13 991 and never had any issues with the 2-3 shift (And I have driven GTSs, did not notice a difference in tranny - maybe the Powerkit makes the power delivery feel different and ppl translate that to the transmission? I have the powerkit on mine). Also, my understanding is the part numbers for the transmissions are the same (though, admittedly, I have seen the same acknowledgement by some magazines, though many dont mention anything, about the shifting but I have seen NOTHING from Porsche verifying that). Not saying it doesn't exist, just saying never seen it...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

If the cost is a no issue, go with 2016 991.1 GTS MT.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Here's my question for this group:
Hard to say what's best for YOU. I'd strongly suggest the "S" and if you can find one in your budget, a GTS. Buy the newest model year, with the lowest miles, that fit your budget and "wish-list". All things being equal, which they hardly ever are.

Here's my question for this group:

So, bascially your question is' "If I get the manual trans, should I also get Sport Chrono?". I'd strongly recommend you do. SC gives you a lot in a manual car (and one with Porsche Sport Exhaust). The main thing it gives you is auto-blip on down-shifts. And a few other things.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I agree with LexVan. In all but the GT cars, Sport Chrono is a must for me.
(In the GT cars, I prefer not to have it.)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Welcome to the forum! Yes, Sport/Sport Plus matters. Changes the handling and throttle characteristics of the car. As for the difference between the 1st and 2nd generations, the biggest difference is that the 2nd gen has 3.0L turbo engine as opposed to a 3.8L natually aspirated engine. The 2nd gen is about +20HP/TQ over the first gen, but you lose that magical naturally aspirated exhaust note. The other difference is the PCM, but the differences there are slight, as well as some minor cosmetic changes to the body..
The new cars have a lot more torque feel than the numbers alone suggest due to the power coming on significantly sooner in the rev range. They are faster than ~20hp/tq would iteratively produce. That being said - many[I am one] feel the older, NA sound and feel so much better with significantly more character.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hard to say what's best for YOU. I'd strongly suggest the "S" and if you can find one in your budget, a GTS. Buy the newest model year, with the lowest miles, that fit your budget and "wish-list". All things being equal, which they hardly ever are.

So, bascially your question is' "If I get the manual trans, should I also get Sport Chrono?". I'd strongly recommend you do. SC gives you a lot in a manual car (and one with Porsche Sport Exhaust). The main thing it gives you is auto-blip on down-shifts. And a few other things.
Echo that SC is great.

I'd challenge that the newest year is irrelevant and I don't mean #1 vs #2 generations. There weren't enough changes to matter year to year of production. There isn't enough difference between a 2012.5 and a 2016 to matter. I recommend going for the lowest mileage and best condition on the oldest car to maximize value.

Also highly recommend CPO on low mileage cars. I'd be more comfortable with non CPO and well taken care of higher mileage and hope the kinks have been worked out.

Quick Reply: Sport/ Sport Plus with MT