Sponsored by:

Sport/ Sport Plus with MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Both the 991.1 and 991.2 models are great cars. IMO, if you are going to buy the 991.1, get the S model. The 3.4 L in the base 991.1 is a little down in torque but the car is by no means slow. The NA engines in the 991.1s sound more raucous. The 3.4 L that I had in my Boxster was very nice and perfect for that car. if you get the sport exhaust in the NA engines, they do tend to drone below 3k rpms and can be annoying. Depends on your tolerance for loud cars.
Anand - The S feels more substantial against a base for sure. But keep in perspective that the base has more power and is lighter than previous S trim carerras. There is also the positive that the engine revs out easier and could be argued as more fun for the street. There is another thread about this.

There is a slight drone on the NA cars.... interestingly enough, catless headers eliminated this for me

For the 991.2 - the power argument against the base is a poor argument. More because of HOW the new engines make power.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:19 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

For the 991.2 - the power argument against the base is a poor argument. More because of HOW the new engines make power.
Not sure what you mean by this statement. The power delivery in the 991.2 is very similar to a NA flat six engine except for slight turbo lag. Porsche engineers did an amazing job replicating the feel of the NA engines. Power (and sound) builds across the rev range in such a linear fashion that I find it hard pressed to tell that it is a turbo car. I have driven many turbo cars where you get the feel of an on-off swtich with the turbos. Not with the new 911s. As for the old 3.4 L in my Boxster, the torque curve in that engine had slight dip at 3k rpms that used to manifest as hesitation in throttle response. And did I mention how fast the new cars are? The throttle response and acceleration are astounding.
Even without the SE, my C4S car is not silent. It is quite a noisy car (pleasantly so) and I can't hear any turbo sounds inside the car. The 7 speed MT is also much improved over the previous version. It is as nice as the 6 speed I had in my Boxster and the clutch is way nicer.

Last edited by AnandN; 01-17-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As others have written, " Sport Chrono is a must." One not so loved feature of our cars is hill-hold. I have a 991.1 7sp. and have found it somewhat fussy to modulate the gas pedal with hill-hold on while NOT in sport or sport+ modes. However, turning on either of those modes sharpens up the response of the gas pedal and makes it much easier to move smooth and quickly up the hill. BTW, I have over 192K miles on my S6 and it is still on it's first clutch.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing I discovered recently with my MT 2018 GTS is that Sport+ makes a dramatic difference in how much boost pressure the car holds over Sport. It's not surprising that the car tends to avoid boost whenever possible in Normal mode, since Normal's all about EPA gas mileage estimates, but I would have expected Sport and Sport+ to be the same in this regard. They're not.

It used to be that I'd primarily argue that the Sport Chrono option was mostly about shift patterns with a PDK transmission, with a few nice but somewhat minor benefits for MT cars. With the 2017+ turbocharged cars I think it's now an absolute must for manual transmissions as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Not sure what you mean by this statement. The power delivery in the 991.2 is very similar to a NA flat six engine except for slight turbo lag. Porsche engineers did an amazing job replicating the feel of the NA engines. Power (and sound) builds across the rev range in such a linear fashion that I find it hard pressed to tell that it is a turbo car. I have driven many turbo cars where you get the feel of an on-off swtich with the turbos. Not with the new 911s. As for the old 3.4 L in my Boxster, the torque curve in that engine had slight dip at 3k rpms that used to manifest as hesitation in throttle response. And did I mention how fast the new cars are? The throttle response and acceleration are astounding.
Even without the SE, my C4S car is not silent. It is quite a noisy car (pleasantly so) and I can't hear any turbo sounds inside the car. The 7 speed MT is also much improved over the previous version. It is as nice as the 6 speed I had in my Boxster and the clutch is way nicer.
I think the new cars deliver power much quicker and easier. In the old cars you really had to work for it and the new ones; even though only have a few more hp/tq - deliver that power much sooner and a lot more effortlessly. Porsche did well for a boosted engine but it doesn't feel like the old 3.4/3.8... we can't say that "power under the curve - blah blah blah" argument AND it feels the same as the old one. One of those statements cannot be true.

My testimony was a compliment to the power of the new base but also highlighted the merits of the old 3.4 for those of us that do enjoy revving it out and working for it.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

I think the new cars deliver power much quicker and easier. In the old cars you really had to work for it and the new ones; even though only have a few more hp/tq - deliver that power much sooner and a lot more effortlessly. Porsche did well for a boosted engine but it doesn't feel like the old 3.4/3.8... we can't say that "power under the curve - blah blah blah" argument AND it feels the same as the old one. One of those statements cannot be true.

My testimony was a compliment to the power of the new base but also highlighted the merits of the old 3.4 for those of us that do enjoy revving it out and working for it.
The torque curves of the turbo sixes look flat but the power delivery feels very much like that of a NA engine. It just feels like a larger displacement engine because the torque arrives earlier and the power builds from there. Feels very much like a compressed torque curve across the rev range than a flat one. I don't know how to explain that.
I do love the older NA flat sixes and they do sound nicer. Also, I was commenting on another forum that my 981 Boxster with the 3.4 felt a lot frisker whereas my 911 feels more planted and harder to rotate in tight corners. It seems to want to understeer more and maybe it is the awd. Upside is that the ride is better on the highway and overall, the car feels less nervous (or maybe I feel less nervous pushing it). It certainly does not have the tossable feel of a roadster like the Boxster and I wish I could have kept that car as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 PM
R_Rated
Banned

The torque curves of the turbo sixes look flat but the power delivery feels very much like that of a NA engine. It just feels like a larger displacement engine because the torque arrives earlier and the power builds from there. Feels very much like a compressed torque curve across the rev range than a flat one. I don't know how to explain that.
I do love the older NA flat sixes and they do sound nicer. Also, I was commenting on another forum that my 981 Boxster with the 3.4 felt a lot frisker whereas my 911 feels more planted and harder to rotate in tight corners. It seems to want to understeer more and maybe it is the awd. Upside is that the ride is better on the highway and overall, the car feels less nervous (or maybe I feel less nervous pushing it). It certainly does not have the tossable feel of a roadster like the Boxster and I wish I could have kept that car as well.
I'm with you - ideally I'd have a boxster and a 911 coupe. Since I don't have the budget or space I have a 911 Cab

At Treffen - I was having no problem keeping up with anyone else from GT cars to new #2 cars to a full 400hp RUF Cayman with RUF installed at the factory suspension and brakes. This was on public roads and not the track mind you but we were pushing pretty hard for the street. The 991 platform is VERY planted.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Wut ?

I agree, I have never missed a shift and have no problem with my 2012.5 MT. Perhaps the poster drives a PDK and tried a manual for the first time.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
is that spoken from experience regarding the transmission? Never heard that and my 2012 base is perfectly crisp in every gear.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 AM
houmamali
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. Just brought home this baby!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice, congrats! Details?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by houmamali

Thanks for the input. Just brought home this baby!
Congrats! Love those 911 Turbo wheels!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Echo that SC is great.

I'd challenge that the newest year is irrelevant and I don't mean #1 vs #2 generations. There weren't enough changes to matter year to year of production. There isn't enough difference between a 2012.5 and a 2016 to matter. I recommend going for the lowest mileage and best condition on the oldest car to maximize value.

Also highly recommend CPO on low mileage cars. I'd be more comfortable with non CPO and well taken care of higher mileage and hope the kinks have been worked out.
I agree with this...one thing to keep in mind - the MT on 2012.5 does not feature rev match with SC. For some that would be a good thing...😁 not me though, love it!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
I agree with this...one thing to keep in mind - the MT on 2012.5 does not feature rev match with SC. For some that would be a good thing...😁 not me though, love it!
Same with the 981. Rev matching wasn't available until the 2014 model. It was available on the 991 from 2013 onward.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
houmamali
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2015 991 CS. MT. All the bells and whistles
(PCM, Sport Chrono, 18 way seats, sport exhaust, Sport/Sport Plus, CPO) Not sure if I missed anything ...
Old 08-31-2022, 12:19 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Congrats and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Sport/ Sport Plus with MT