Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS trade in values. KBB Accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

That is a shameless low ball. For reference this car was listed and sold on this site in short order

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...eturn-cpo.html
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Curious what the normal difference is between the best you can do on trade and what you could get selling it yourself?
In my case the taxes are 3.35%. If I trade in a 100,000 car to make the math simple I also figure the $3350 in tax savings. At that point I am needing to sell it for at least 105-106K to even make it worth the hassle. I would be willing to eat 2k not to have to sell it myself.
For me, with 7% in Atlanta, the 100,000 trade offer on my GTS meant I'd have to sell it for 107 just to break even financially, and for me, a minimum of $10,000 would be required to make me consider DIY sales. Dealing with all the tire kickers and negotiators and test-drivers who'd come around if I was holding out for top dollar could be a multi-week immersion in something I don't want to do. (Of course I could sell it for a "good price" and move it quickly, but that's sort of what trading it does.)

In the end, the dealer asked 115 and sold it in 2-3 weeks. I think they CPO'd it but I'm not sure. Say they didn't CPO it and they knocked 4k off to close the sale. That makes it 111k, a 4k premium over what I effectively got (107) when you include the 7% tax. No way it made sense to risk not trading it in order to try and eke out a little more.

Of course, if there were no tax savings, then the $15,000 delta between the dealer's ask and their trade-in might have made me give it a go. But even still, if the dealer only got, say, 111 for it (and if they didn't CPO it) you'd have to assume I'd only get 106 max for it. Even without the tax incentive, I wouldn't sell it myself for an at best profit of $6k.

Not that I'm against selling; I sold my 996 Turbo awhile back, rather than trade. Dealer didn't really want it and offered 38. I sold it for 53k. A lot more people can come up with 53 than 105k for a used, private-party car.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, thanks for the info. To answer a couple responses

1. I love the GTS. But its a DD for me, I'm about to change jobs from working at home to having to drive quite a bit more. So looking to flip into something less expensive, and better suited to DD.

2. In my state, I only pay the sales tax on the difference between trade in and purchase. In my case, I'll be spending LESS than my GTS trade in. If I buy a $55k car, w $4k in sales tax, then I avoid the $4k tax on the GTS trade in.
So simple math: If I get $96k on a trade in its a "wash" if I sell private party for $100k.

3. I will take some advice here and post on the classifieds. Nothing to lose I guess. And I would much prefer the GTS to go to a Rennlist member. Plus much easier for me to purchase my next vehicle if I dont have the trade "baggage".

4. Great to hear our cars are worth more than $85k lol. I do follow the pricing threads here, and poke around auto trader quite a bit. I havent seen a .1 GTS w under 10k miles listed for under $100k.

Last edited by mrmojom3; 01-16-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Hi all, thanks for the info. To answer a couple responses

1. I love the GTS. But its a DD for me, I'm about to change jobs from working at home to having to drive quite a bit more. So looking to flip into something less expensive, and better suited to DD.

2. In my state, I only pay the sales tax on the difference between trade in and purchase. In my case, I'll be spending LESS than my GTS trade in. If I buy a $55k car, w $4k in sales tax, then I avoid the $4k tax on the GTS trade in.
So simple math: If I get $96k on a trade in its a "wash" if I sell private party for $100k.

3. I will take some advice here and post on the classifieds. Nothing to lose I guess. And I would much prefer the GTS to go to a Rennlist member. Plus much easier for me to purchase my next vehicle if I dont have the trade "baggage".

4. Great to hear our cars are worth more than $85k lol. I do follow the pricing threads here, and poke around auto trader quite a bit. I havent seen a .1 GTS w under 10k miles listed for under $100k.

Just be reasonable and don't try and ask for dealer retail pricing either. One mistake many FSBO's make and the car sits, and sits, and sits, and longer it sits, people think there's an issue or drama. It becomes a tainted listing.

Please keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing wrong with the trade in especially if buying a more expensive car in return so you can maximize the tax advantage. Having said that, the trade in offer needs to make sense and be fair. I you get low balled the delta becomes too large and not worthy. I believe a fair price for your trade should be easily in the 90's
Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Hah. For $85K, I’ll buy it right now. I’ll even throw in a couple grand as a “tip” and you can have the added bonus of hearing me squealing while I drive away (not the car.... me).

That answer your question?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 760 Likes on 330 Posts

They are low . the snag with dealership trade is that they look at auction and black book and throw the "fair" condition price . This is especially the case if one lives in a state which gives a tax credit on the trade because they know the person has to clear it in private sale . I am feel; the car is worth low 90's wholesale (more private party) . They will list it well over 100K (about 115) and close in the low 100's . It's a slight dip from when the market was a bit more firm . Winter climate might play a role as well as general availability of cars . Right now there are a lot of cars (new and used .1 and .2) for sale on lots . It's still not bad considering it's a 15 . The miles help but not enough . I'd keep it unless the new car is really calling .
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
Try Carmax. They'll give you a better price than a dealer.
Not nesessarily true. When trading Porches my dealer has always offered more than CarMax.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Not already.

What are you looking at as a replacement?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

KBB is fairly accurate. Not a 911 but I traded in my 13, 981 Boxster S to the dealer and I got a better offer than KBB by about a grand. They sold the car in less than 3 weeks.
Also got a nice discount 6% off my 2018 C4S.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Taxes Vs 75% of value

Dealers are probably going to give you 75% of the value for a trade in...it astounds me that folks in this group would not understand that....

With the above it becomes a simple math problem, is the 25% in value reduction they pay on your trade in more or less than you would pay in takes from the trade in on whatever you are buying ? To me it is much less of a hassle to sell a car to an individual than a dealer.

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Curious what the normal difference is between the best you can do on trade and what you could get selling it yourself?
In my case the taxes are 3.35%. If I trade in a 100,000 car to make the math simple I also figure the $3350 in tax savings. At that point I am needing to sell it for at least 105-106K to even make it worth the hassle. I would be willing to eat 2k not to have to sell it myself.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Not exactly a GTS, but when I traded-in my 2013 991 C2 in the summer of 2016, the Porsche dealer gave me very close to KBB on a 2017 991.2 C2S.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

This may or may not help, but one thing I try to do with a dealer is keep the conversation about the delta I'm going to have to pay between the new car and the trade, taxes and fees all included. It reduces the conversation to a single number which becomes a simpler argument. It's the amount of cash I'll have to produce which is what it is all about anyway. It also prevents surprises in the bottom line when I think I know their agreed car price and my agreed trade price but lose track of the other fees involved. Confusion about all of the multiple numbers involved in a typical negotiation most often works to the dealers advantage.

The bottom line argument usually ends up being that like you, I've done my homework and can tell them I have a good idea of what a reasonable trade in for my car is and what the reasonable sale value of the vehicle they have is. I offer them that much plus my estimate of the taxes and fees required. I end up moving my delta some provided they help do the same. In all honesty, on the car I just bought I went to do the final paperwork only knowing that we had agreed to a certain delta with all costs included. It was only when I saw the numbers on the paperwork that I knew what values they had assigned to my trade-in and their car.

Of course, it sounds like in your case the expected trade difference is dramatically off which is causing a delta a lot larger than can be reasonably discussed and that isn't something I've encountered. I can see how that could end up leading to a stalemate.

My best results in a case like yours is to find a least one other car at another dealer that is comparable to the one you want to buy and then get the two dealers competing with each other for the best deal. The other car doesn't even have to be a candidate you'd really buy as long as its close enough and creates competition. Without competition they really have no other great reason to become more fair in their offer.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:42 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up shopping my car a bit. Settled on $95k as the "norm" and ended up with $96,500. One dealer was going up to $98k however it was on a new allocation car that would arrive in 2 months which they could not guarantee the $98k. Looking at autotrader asking prices, $96/97 seemed like a very fair price. I also got a fantastic price on the car I acquired so did very well on both ends of the deal.

The first dealer wouldnt budge off $85k lol.

So you guys can breath now. I didnt crash the market by trading in a 991 GTS fro $85k
Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Looked at KBB my trade in value is about $102k. 15 mint 7800 miles, $132k MSRP. Dealer came back with $85k. Who is "off" here? If the trade in is $85k I'm keeping it... I was expecting upper $90's. Curious if anybody has any experience, please chime in.

Or maybe its a seasonal thing. I'm in no rush, and can wait until prices pop up in spring time.

TIA
You are not alone! I just got offered low 80's for 2016 GTS Coupe with MSRP of 133K. I was in utter shock!!! I could expect a 25% reduction from MSRP but not 40%. That's just ridiculous.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS trade in values. KBB Accurate?