Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quickjack, Scissor Lift, Jackpoint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:25 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Quickjack, Scissor Lift, Jackpoint?

Any recommendations for a lift setup? We bought a house, so I finally have a garage

I am considering:
Bendpack Scissor Lift - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpi-5175730
Quickjack - https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
Two sets of Jackpoint stands - http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/

Cars: My C2S has SPASM, so I would need to build a ramp for the scissor jack, which is not a big deal. Our other car is a '17 GTI.

Garage: Decent-size two-car garage. QJs or Jackpoints would probably be stored across the hall in the mechanical room, but a scissor jack would stay under the 911.

Use: Mainly minor stuff like swapping out winter/summer setups; brake pads/fluid for the track; oil changes

Pretty much the whole house will be renovated (including the garage), but here is a shot of my two favorite toys

The following users liked this post:
Briels (05-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Just out of curiosity, where are you finding the Jackpoint stands? I've had my eye on them for a while, but they've been "out-of-stock" for some time. Either that, or I just have bad luck when I check.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I read about a lot of folks using QuickJack at the track for minor maintenance...just a datapoint. That's the way I'm leaning on the same question.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If you decide on the QuickJack, consider getting the BL-7000SLX instead of the 5000. It's only $150 more but can lift 7K+ lbs.
scr1244 (05-15-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I have four jackpoint jackstands that I use for maintenance and winter/summer wheel changes. They are great. I highly recommend them. That said, I’m probably going to install a proper four post lift in my garage this year. Looking at Bendpack.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
Just out of curiosity, where are you finding the Jackpoint stands? I've had my eye on them for a while, but they've been "out-of-stock" for some time. Either that, or I just have bad luck when I check.
I first contacted them towards the end of November and was told there's a wait list that could run past Christmas. They said they'd put me on the list and notify me when they're available but so far nothing. Maybe they're producing them in batches and waiting until they get a certain amount of orders. I would contact them and put yourself on the list.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 05-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got QuickJack and it's the best investment period.

From oil changes to brakes and other minor things for 3 cars has paid for itself within a couple of months. Highly recommended and it has worked for me flawlessly. In fact, as we speak, my BMW 540 is on it resting, while waiting for an oil pan gasket to arrive from FCPEuro.
Eurocarguy911 (06-08-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have had two scissor lifts, they're a PITA with a Porsche because you have to build a 2" x 16" frame around them which stays there all the time, your car will drag on the lift otherwise and bad things happen when that occurs. Basically you build a big wood rectangle around the scissor lift as the clearance of the car is too low otherwise. Every time you pull in the garage you are going up on the wood frame frame structure. These are not my cars or my rigs (mine was more refined) but this will give you an idea of what you have to use with any of the scissor lifts.

If I was going to buy another residential garage lift, I would get this one. Install your lugs in the floor, then you can wheel these units out when you need them and bolt them up to the floor studs. Much better access to the underside of the car than a scissors lift.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...xoC49wQAvD_BwE

The real question you have to ask yourself is "How often am I going to lift the car?" If you plan on using the lift frequently, then a twin post is really the best way to go. When I was heavy into track days, I'd have my car up every week, but since I no long do Instructing and the like, my Porsche goes up once or twice a year, so for me the lift is over-kill and I use the most-excellent Jackpoint Stands. This is my car up on the jacks when I was putting on a new exhaust system, for example.

What is really going to bug you is that center support in the garage, that's just going to make you nuts if you work on cars a lot. If there is any way you can afford to modify the garage to get that load bearing piece out of there, that would have more value to you than an expensive lift - just to not have to work around that all the time. Good luck!

Last edited by drcollie; 01-16-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I couldn’t live without my BendPak mid rise. I can park right over it, even with my lowered 993.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Another vote for the jackpoint stands. they are great and very easy to use. also cheap compared to the OP's other alternatives. makes lifting the car very easy as the jack slides under the stands (I use a cheap harbor freight 3 ton low profile jack). they JP stands seem to be always listed as out of stock. but just place the order online and you'll have them in a couple of weeks.
Duke I (05-14-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

another for JP Stands
Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Drcollie, thanks for posting - great photos there. I'm in two minds about this here in UK. Currently using four axle stands but I'd really like to lift the car a bit higher. I agree it's hard to justify a two post for an annual oil change, but I'd probably use it for my other cars, dad's car etc, tyre changes. Mercedes C class service here costs £420, I could do it for £160. Decisions......
Old 01-16-2018, 03:54 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I couldn’t live without my BendPak mid rise. I can park right over it, even with my lowered 993.

I cannot locate the post where you identify the exact model you have. What exact model do you have? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for all the responses!

I wanted to buy Jackpoint stands last year, but they were backordered so I paid a shop to do my track pads/fluid. I emailed Jackpoint tonight to get an idea of the wait; I will post their response here since others are in the same boat.

Originally Posted by drcollie
The real question you have to ask yourself is "How often am I going to lift the car?" If you plan on using the lift frequently, then a twin post is really the best way to go. When I was heavy into track days, I'd have my car up every week, but since I no long do Instructing and the like, my Porsche goes up once or twice a year, so for me the lift is over-kill and I use the most-excellent Jackpoint Stands. This is my car up on the jacks when I was putting on a new exhaust system, for example.

What is really going to bug you is that center support in the garage, that's just going to make you nuts if you work on cars a lot. If there is any way you can afford to modify the garage to get that load bearing piece out of there, that would have more value to you than an expensive lift - just to not have to work around that all the time. Good luck!
I will probably have a car in the air twenty times/year between pre/post-track-day brake pads/fluid, winter/summer-setup swaps, oil changes, etc.

We are hopefully building a detached garage in a couple years, so not going to bother trying to remove the support beam. I would go with a two- or four-post lift in the detached garage, but looking for something portable at this point.

Originally Posted by BradB

+1 on model!

Quick Reply: Quickjack, Scissor Lift, Jackpoint?