Sponsored by:

Removing side skirts and painting them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Funny how part of the stated desirability of the GTS models is having contrasting black trim pieces, and yet some feel the small side skirts have to be painted the same as the body color.

IMHO the contrasting black side skirt looks good and makes sense given the grime mine picks up as a DD.
Ironic to me too, and goes to the idea that whatever comes on the car people will pay Porsche more to make it look a different color with the perception of individuality.
Same as the $1600 rear grill on my 991.1 If it were black plastic from the factory people would pay the $1600 to get a painted louvered one. . (yes I do want the black one myself, but only cause I have all black pieces on the car/wheels )
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

All preference I guess.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Anyone done this yet?
Yup I did it to my C4S.
At the time they didn't have it as an option yet on the configurator so there were no primed versions of it just what came on the car and there was absolutely no issue with having them painted.
Go for it, it looks great, especially on lighter coloured cars.

Originally Posted by STG
They are also a factory option and I like the look.
Have had friends who have done it including myself with after market ones. Need to get them wrapped with PPF after or will get trashed.
^ This, especially the ends!
Just one caveat for the OP, make sure you wait long enough before having it wrapped.
Turns out if all the gasses/vapours have not evaporated and the paint is not fully cured you're taking a chance when they apply the ppt that (when they lift, adjust, stretch) the film... the paint will come off!
Don't ask me how I know, sigh.

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Funny how part of the stated desirability of the GTS models is having contrasting black trim pieces, and yet some feel the small side skirts have to be painted the same as the body color.
IMHO the contrasting black side skirt looks good and makes sense given the grime mine picks up as a DD.
OK... according to you "the stated desirability of the GTS" is also centre-locks, alcantara, no ventilated seats and 2 WD...
One can elect to still love the design, power, badge and design of the GTS and actually choose to not have any of the above mentioned ...
To wit, one can also elect to paint those cheap looking plastic trim pieces in high gloss black.
Garantied it's going to look better, covered in ppf it'll hold up better than those fading poly ones and it's actually easier to keep clean.

Also, you do know that this not at all how Porsche designed it.. "to all exclusion", right?
Just like the interior trim, wheels etc, the skirts, front lip even the rear valance (if you can call it that) can be ordered painted.
It just not included in the base price because... you got to pay to play!

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Ironic to me too, and goes to the idea that whatever comes on the car people will pay Porsche more to make it look a different color with the perception of individuality.
Same as the $1600 rear grill on my 991.1 If it were black plastic from the factory people would pay the $1600 to get a painted louvered one. . (yes I do want the black one myself, but only cause I have all black pieces on the car/wheels )
I'm surprised that you posted that... after all, a disposition like that is not obvious or even likely when someone has a car that looks as individualized as your's.
I love your ride, I think it looks great... somehow different from others which are posted.
Perceived or not, in the end it's a wonderful thing that we can order/customize these cars from the factory or dealer.
hell I say even the way each individual drives, maintains and cleans a 991 is going to have an impact on the way it looks compared to identical ones.

Nope, in the end it's great we have a choice to make it our own or to drive it like it comes...
Old 01-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Agreed!!! ^^^
Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
Y
I'm surprised that you posted that... after all, a disposition like that is not obvious or even likely when someone has a car that looks as individualized as your's.
I love your ride, I think it looks great... somehow different from others which are posted.
Perceived or not, in the end it's a wonderful thing that we can order/customize these cars from the factory or dealer.
hell I say even the way each individual drives, maintains and cleans a 991 is going to have an impact on the way it looks compared to identical ones.

Nope, in the end it's great we have a choice to make it our own or to drive it like it comes...

Not a criticism - I put myself in the same camp! Thus all the smileys.

Fine to personalize your car, or mine. More a commentary on us - at least this group on Rennlist - and our desire to "improve" things that most people wouldn't even see!

Why do I lust after a black plastic grill when arguably it looks "less finished?' ?? I'd propose it's human nature at least for some of us.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.

Not a criticism - I put myself in the same camp! Thus all the smileys.

Fine to personalize your car, or mine. More a commentary on us - at least this group on Rennlist - and our desire to "improve" things that most people wouldn't even see!

Why do I lust after a black plastic grill when arguably it looks "less finished?' ?? I'd propose it's human nature at least for some of us.
LOL an't that the truth!
Here we are discussing things that others will never even notice
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

@STKDoctor it looks so good! So clean looking
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I know I'm bringing this post back from the dead but does anyone know if this part will fit a 2017 Porsche Carrera base 991.2?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:45 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

youre talking about putting lower rockers on a car w/out them. Go to a aftermarket rocker panel
Old 09-03-2018, 10:32 AM
cosmo1
Pro

Yeah I would but I still do not know if this would fit a base Carrera 991.2...
Old 09-04-2018, 01:02 AM
windblow
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simply. No.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM
cosmo1
Pro

Simply, thank you robot man..

Quick Reply: Removing side skirts and painting them?