Sponsored by:

Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I still don't understand how BeepBeep's wheels are balanced without any visible wheel-weights??
I agree. That doesn't make sense.

Beep what dealership did you go to?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88

Are those the 18-way seats? Surely, there's got to be a way you can adjust them to achieve a more comfortable driving position...
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Are those the 18-way seats? Surely, there's got to be a way you can adjust them to achieve a more comfortable driving position...
LOL. That's what makes the ride and steering feel spot on.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
LOL. That's what makes the ride and steering feel spot on.
To answer your question _nuts I had the work done at a well respected Porsche garage in NYC, not a dealership. They did the winter tire switcharoo and stored my summers, ran me $200 cash. I’m not going to name the establishment for obvious reason. I really think you guys are right - blue tape was left over from factory weights being removed and I’m just not seeing the replacement weights.

Thanks again All for the help !!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=digits;14729032]
Are those the 18-way seats? Surely, there's got to be a way you can adjust them to achieve a more comfortable driving position...[/QUOTE

Correct digit, 18-way seats but there’s only one way to get your dry cleaning out from the back seat. Thanks for the comment!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:27 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Correct digit, 18-way seats but there’s only one way to get your dry cleaning out from the back seat. Thanks for the comment!
Hah sorry, couldn't resist. It's a rennlist (or an interwebs) thing - but when someone like me has nothing useful to contribute to a thread we amuse ourselves by posting useless comments that are intended to be, but are not always, funny. Like this.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a little annoyed with the garage. Granted it was late Friday afternoon so everyone’s in a rush to be somewhere other than work but still. I like to really get on it and at 8/10ths I want to be confident. Looks to me like you can run summers all year around!! Why do I live in NY again?

have a great weekend OC !
Holy moly... I didn't see your reply till just now.
OK first off... you live in NY because you're a sucker for the smell of garbage on a hot sunny day, humidity, endless crescendo of beeping horns, psychotic cab drivers, cantankerous people, arrogant service staff and freezing temp, snow and dump truck doing double duty as snow plows... the big apple baby, ya gotta love it!
I'm an east coaster (transplant) myself lol
I love it when people here ask me (when I'm unhappy with something)... you must be from the east coast

It's a shame more often than not we can't trust our dealers to have a high enough standard we don't have to double check everything they do...
I actually had one tell me they did the air intake filter change without removing the rear bumper... the I played dumb and asked how they did that the service manager actually said "we vacuumed them clean"...
Me, really how?
Him through the intake openings (snorkels)...
Me, how did you get to the other side... through the speaker system!
Needles to say I got them to redo the job!

Anyway, anecdotal stories aside...if you've got quality issues with just a winter tire change-over I'd keep an eye out for other things in the future.
Cheers!

PS, check your callipers!
It's a very common occurrence for those to get scratched/gauged when they put the wheels back on...

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think you might have nailed it. It could be the old tape strip. The Blue is throwing me, though.

BeepBeep, no need to go to the dealership. Can you see the actual metal wheel weights? If you can, the blue marks are the old tape. Remove with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
LOL makes me laugh when I keep reading replies starting with BeepBeep
I know, I've got to get out more.

Re; the mystery of balancing without adding any new weights... I had this happen to me once.
Turned out that by removing the old weights the wheel was actually (more) balanced.
Of course given the non removal of the old tape it is also entirely possible that in this particular case the tech just "forgot" to apply the new once... or he didn't clean the spot before applying the new weight and the came off.

Quick Reply: Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced