Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page > Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced
Notices
991
Sponsored by: Sonnen Porsche

Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced

Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 AM
  #1
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced



Picked up the weekend car from a local Porsche garage early this afternoon after getting my winter tires mounted and balanced. I was in a rush and quickly checked for scuff marks on the rims / centerlocks but thatís it. When I did a slower walk around a few hours later I noticed a blue strip on each of the rims.

What do you guys, gals think? Can I remove? They donít seem like counter weights as theyíre soft to the touch. I think the garage taped up my rims to protect during the process so maybe itís left over from that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:16 AM
  #2
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 15,914
Default

Hard to tell in a picture. Might just be a top layer of film. My wheel weighs have a film layer from Tire Rack that easily peels off. But it's clear, not blue like yours.
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:15 AM
  #3
OC 991
User
 
OC 991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Laguna Beach
Posts: 95
Default

Like Lex said, hard to tell by the pics but...if there's no actual weights there then it's the adhesive strip of the old weights.
They were to lazy to remove that...never seen it in blue though.
OC 991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM
  #4
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Talking

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Hard to tell in a picture. Might just be a top layer of film. My wheel weighs have a film layer from Tire Rack that easily peels off. But it's clear, not blue like yours.
Thanks LexVan - maybe Iíll hit the local Porsche dealer today to ask service and in the meantime Iíll leave it be just in case. Will not let this stop
me from enjoying my morning coffee run! Thanks again.
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM
  #5
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by OC 991 View Post
Like Lex said, hard to tell by the pics but...if there's no actual weights there then it's the adhesive strip of the old weights.
They were to lazy to remove that...never seen it in blue though.
Yes, a little annoyed with the garage. Granted it was late Friday afternoon so everyoneís in a rush to be somewhere other than work but still. I like to really get on it and at 8/10ths I want to be confident. Looks to me like you can run summers all year around!! Why do I live in NY again?

have a great weekend OC !
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:40 AM
  #6
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 15,914
Default

Originally Posted by OC 991
Like Lex said, hard to tell by the pics but...if there's no actual weights there then it's the adhesive strip of the old weights.
They were to lazy to remove that...never seen it in blue though.
I think you might have nailed it. It could be the old tape strip. The Blue is throwing me, though.

BeepBeep, no need to go to the dealership. Can you see the actual metal wheel weights? If you can, the blue marks are the old tape. Remove with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM
  #7
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
I think you might have nailed it. It could be the old tape strip. The Blue is throwing me, though.

BeepBeep, no need to go to the dealership. Can you see the actual metal wheel weights? If you can, the blue marks are the old tape. Remove with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
I took delivery of the car not two months ago and it was straight from the factory to my garage so that blue tape must be from Germany if what you’re both thinking is true. Going right now to check if I can spot any actual wheel weights... your elbow grease comment is really scaring me!!

Thanks again!
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM
  #8
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 15,914
Default

BeepBeep, you'll need to get your head in there! LOL. You should see weights at the very back rim, and at the front rim. Sometimes in both places. That old tape is pretty hard to remove. A powerful citrus degreaser (Wurth) works wonders, better than denatured alcohol.
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM
  #9
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default


Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
BeepBeep, you'll need to get your head in there! LOL. You should see weights at the very back rim, and at the front rim. Sometimes in both places. That old tape is pretty hard to remove. A powerful citrus degreaser (Wurth) works wonders, better than denatured alcohol.
Haha I give up, I played peekaboo with all four rims and couldnít find anything. The blue tape is now a fact of life for me and I will love it dearly. It definitely isnít hampering the ride, tracking, etc..

A thank you pic from after my morning run
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM
  #10
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 15,914
Default

Beep, if you can't see any weights, then I suspect they have already fallen off, and leaving you with the only marks your are seeing now; blue residue tape lines.

Have you spun them up to 70 mph yet? All good??

Strange.
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
  #11
Bemo
User
 
Bemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 1,167
Default

OP - it's the left over tape from the old weights, it happened to me. The local dealer didn't clean the old tape.
Upon complaining and getting them to change the weights from silver to black, because I have black wheels, they still managed to leave tape residue here and there.
Either have the dealer fix it or invest some elbow grease+windex cleaner and you should be good to go. It took me 2-3min per wheel to clean...
Bemo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 PM
  #12
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Beep, if you can't see any weights, then I suspect they have already fallen off, and leaving you with the only marks your are seeing now; blue residue tape lines.

Have you spun them up to 70 mph yet? All good??

Strange.
Haha did I hit 70? You better believe it, had it in triple digits (on a closed road circuit of course). My car guy who I do all my leasing through had a similar response, “Very odd”. No vibrations whatsoever and tracked just as well as with the soft compound rubber.

70 is the new 40 with this thing Lex

thank you so much for your expertise!
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:15 PM
  #13
BeepBeep88
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Beep, if you can't see any weights, then I suspect they have already fallen off, and leaving you with the only marks your are seeing now; blue residue tape lines.

Have you spun them up to 70 mph yet? All good??

Strange.
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
OP - it's the left over tape from the old weights, it happened to me. The local dealer didn't clean the old tape.
Upon complaining and getting them to change the weights from silver to black, because I have black wheels, they still managed to leave tape residue here and there.
Either have the dealer fix it or invest some elbow grease+windex cleaner and you should be good to go. It took me 2-3min per wheel to clean...
Bemo I think youíre on the button since the ride / steering feel spot on. Lack of attention to detail annoys me as well but I guess no harm no foul.

Enjoy the weekend and thanks for the help!
BeepBeep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:24 PM
  #14
Bemo
User
 
Bemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 1,167
Default

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88
Bemo I think youíre on the button since the ride / steering feel spot on. Lack of attention to detail annoys me as well but I guess no harm no foul.

Enjoy the weekend and thanks for the help!
Yes it's the principle, that is lack of attention, not so much the harm or inconvenience of cleaning it yourself.
To put it eloquently, the careless bastards at the local stealer just don't know any better even though we are charged quite the premium ($340) for tire changes.
You have every right to be dissatisfied and equally concerned about other services or repairs, if something so simple gets neglected!

Happy weekend.
Bemo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 PM
  #15
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 15,914
Default

I still don't understand how BeepBeep's wheels are balanced without any visible wheel-weights??
LexVan is online now  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iiAtlas
987 - 981 718 Forum
40
01-15-2018 06:10 PM
TheWeatherman
Parts Marketplace
5
01-11-2018 07:51 PM
GaryMc
Rennlist Canada
10
08-01-2017 12:28 PM
deilenberger
Cayenne 958 - 2011 -->
2
12-26-2016 06:14 PM
mi650
Parts Marketplace
2
01-26-2016 03:43 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Copyright © 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: