Sound "symposer" vs PSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sound "symposer" vs PSE

I have a 991.2 with PSE.
When I optioned the car, I thought the switchable sport exhaust was an excellent idea allowing me to go loud or quiet as I choose. Something I didn't know, is that PSE creates all that noise for the outside world. Not so much for the cabin. Yes, it gets a little louder inside, but most of the magic is on the outside.
I recently drove a non-PSE car and was surprised to hear a much more pleasant, inside facing, exhaust note when switched into Sport mode. I would say the non-PSE car was louder inside the cabin than the PSE car.
The cabin noise is created by the so called "sound symposer".

My question is, is that only built into non-PSE cars? If that's true, is there any way to retrofit it into a PSE car?

As far as I know it's a resonator tube between the intake and the rear seats. Or something like that. What do I know.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

PSE includes the sound symposer.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The only way to get a decent sound in the new cars is to weld a pipe from the downpipe (pre cat) that enters the cab. That will help you hear the car with the only trade off being a very mild smell.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:49 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The only way to get a decent sound in the new cars is to weld a pipe from the downpipe (pre cat) that enters the cab. That will help you hear the car with the only trade off being a very mild smell.
LOL
also end up dead.... funny
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by snake eyes
LOL
also end up dead.... funny
just crack a window. No big deal.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Clearly you didn't read your manual........

Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8
I have a 991.2 with PSE.
When I optioned the car, I thought the switchable sport exhaust was an excellent idea allowing me to go loud or quiet as I choose. Something I didn't know, is that PSE creates all that noise for the outside world. Not so much for the cabin. Yes, it gets a little louder inside, but most of the magic is on the outside.
I recently drove a non-PSE car and was surprised to hear a much more pleasant, inside facing, exhaust note when switched into Sport mode. I would say the non-PSE car was louder inside the cabin than the PSE car.
The cabin noise is created by the so called "sound symposer".

My question is, is that only built into non-PSE cars? If that's true, is there any way to retrofit it into a PSE car?

As far as I know it's a resonator tube between the intake and the rear seats. Or something like that. What do I know.
They all have the sound symposer. Your observations are similar to what was posted in a nice video by Nick Murray comparing two 991.2s w/wo the SE. If you want to a louder sound inside, you can go with some aftermarket systems like tubi etc. They will make the car much louder, both inside and outside. Not pleasant. My 991.2 without the SE sounds very nice in sport mode. Not as nice as the old NA 3.8 but can't be helped. The SE in the 991.2 simply adds a little more sound and lots of burbling in sport mode that some (like myself) absolutely dislike.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

May I suggest that whenever you can, roll the windows down. The sound is intoxicating!! You'll also freeze this time of year on LI.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
They all have the sound symposer. Your observations are similar to what was posted in a nice video by Nick Murray comparing two 991.2s w/wo the SE. If you want to a louder sound inside, you can go with some aftermarket systems like tubi etc. They will make the car much louder, both inside and outside. Not pleasant. My 991.2 without the SE sounds very nice in sport mode. Not as nice as the old NA 3.8 but can't be helped. The SE in the 991.2 simply adds a little more sound and lots of burbling in sport mode that some (like myself) absolutely dislike.
I can understand the attraction of PSE for those who like a more raucous sounding car. However, it doesn't make it handle better, nor does it make the car faster. So, put it in the category of a better stereo system. I can attest to the fact that even with a base .2, non-PSE car, people hear you coming and going for a good distance. Some people like myself prefer a quieter ride. Selecting sport mode produces a nice over run sound on deceleration. We'll never get the sound of any of the.1 engines. With the turbos, intercoolers and the smaller displacement, we're comparing a tuba to a trumpet. It is what it is.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow. Opening yourself up to a lot of liability with a suggestion like that on the internet.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8

I think what you're looking for is this: Click the Sport or Sport+ button on, then click the PSE button off. The loud exhaust noise is turned off, but you get the nice intake noise from the open symposer because you're in Sport mode. This is my favorite setting.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:42 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

As a GTS cabriolet owner, my sound symposer is called "top down." It is magnificent hearing the naturally aspirated engine do its thing, with or without PSE engaged.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I think what you're looking for is this: Click the Sport or Sport+ button on, then click the PSE button off. The loud exhaust noise is turned off, but you get the nice intake noise from the open symposer because you're in Sport mode. This is my favorite setting.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion, I'm going to try it.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
As a GTS cabriolet owner, my sound symposer is called "top down." It is magnificent hearing the naturally aspirated engine do its thing, with or without PSE engaged.
Absolutely! Not a GTS owner but a Cab owner. If I'm driving it- the top is likely down!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Does anyone get a 'clicking' sound when you enable PSE? I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or sound symposer malfunction.

Quick Reply: Sound "symposer" vs PSE