991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long from order to delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018 | 08:02 AM
emcgolfer
Track Day

Hey guys....wanted to run this by all of you to see if this passes the smell test.......I am looking to custom build a 2108 911.2 Targa 4S. No crazy options, colors or requirements. The dealer I went into yesterday to understand how long this would take, gave me a long song and dance around build date "might not be until August/Sept" then figure 8 weeks beyond that for delivery". His explanation was that "Targa's" are on the end of the production line because they are so limited in numbers and the Turbo's and coupes/cabs take priority. Which caused me to think 1.) is this guy BS'ing me because he wants to get me into another car he has or can trade for more quickly? or 2.) Does it really take 9-12 months to take delivery of a new 911 Targa? I have ordered Mercedes, Audi's BMW's and Lexus" my entire adult life and never was impacted by this crazy delivery schedule. I realize Porsche only ships about 200K units to the US a year across all vehicle lines, while BMW send almost 200K units per month here. Hearing all of this I told him if I won't take delivery of the car until Nov/Dec 2018, then I should wait for the 992's to come out and order the newer model..........to which he responded (you are going to lover this one) "if you do that, you might be waiting 2 years for your car to come in!) That's flat out ridiculous if that's the case. As I live in the NY Metro area just outside NYC, I have access to multiple dealerships in NY/NJ and CT. Pls let me know your thoughts and advise. Thx......
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:02 AM
bwiele
Pro

Regarding the original question, my car was pretty quick. I finalized my order details in mid-March, my last tweak to the configuration was on March 13, car was "fixed for logistics and production" on April 7, entered the body shop on 4/14, completion 4/28, I took delivery on May 25, right before the Memorial Day weekend!
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:11 AM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

My 2017 C4S took 8 months and 2 weeks from placing order until driving off the lot.
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:24 AM
emcgolfer
Track Day

Thanks to bwiele and SP for the responses......but in reading them, my confusion around the delivery topic remains. One response states from order to delivery was 10 weeks...while the other states almost 8 /12 MONTHS........what is the variable as to why one build is 4x as long? Is it poor allocation due to low volume at the dealership? Or does Porsche have a poor system that promotes volatility? My bet is the timeline is driven by dealers and their volume.....anyone else with thoughts or advice?
Old 01-26-2018 | 11:21 AM
bwiele
Pro

I don't really have any insight into the timing, but as someone suggested above, I think there's an element of luck to the whole thing.

emc - I see you're in Westchester County - I am as well. Somehow my location details aren't showing up any more, but mine used to say the exact same thing...
Old 01-26-2018 | 08:48 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by emcgolfer
I realize Porsche only ships about 200K units to the US a year across all vehicle lines, while BMW send almost 200K units per month here.
Actually they only shipped 55.4k units total to the USA during calendar year 2017. Of these, 8,970 were 911's.
In your area you have a number of dealers not to far away. I'd do a little checking around. A "hungry" dealer will find an allocation for you somewhere. Or, they'll all confirm the story you've been told - doubt it.
Old 01-26-2018 | 09:15 PM
emcgolfer
Track Day

Thx DBH....the 200K+ units must have been a worldwide #.....thx. Back to topic....I understand from my discussions that dealers can "swap" build dates for cars or other builds with other dealers? I have located a dealer in the southeast with a build date within the next 6 weeks, delivery in June. When speaking to him he insists that he will "offer no discount" to the car since they are in "such limited supply". I told him that his position was unfortunate as I was holding back the info that a buddy of mine wants to go in with me to build a GT3 in an effort to combine our purchasing power to maximize any discount we can get. This dealer had the ***** to tell me the GT3 would have to be "above MSRP" if he were asked to quote......I must be old school or not use to the "Porsche way of doing business" but turning down $325K worth of orders is something MB, Jaguar, Audi and BMW wouldn't do.

If anyone has a good connection with a "hungry" dealer in the NY Metro market, pls shoot me a PM. Thx guys
Old 01-26-2018 | 09:19 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Hey guys....wanted to run this by all of you to see if this passes the smell test.......I am looking to custom build a 2108 911.2 Targa 4S. No crazy options, colors or requirements. The dealer I went into yesterday to understand how long this would take, gave me a long song and dance around build date "might not be until August/Sept" then figure 8 weeks beyond that for delivery". His explanation was that "Targa's" are on the end of the production line because they are so limited in numbers and the Turbo's and coupes/cabs take priority. Which caused me to think 1.) is this guy BS'ing me because he wants to get me into another car he has or can trade for more quickly? or 2.) Does it really take 9-12 months to take delivery of a new 911 Targa? I have ordered Mercedes, Audi's BMW's and Lexus" my entire adult life and never was impacted by this crazy delivery schedule. I realize Porsche only ships about 200K units to the US a year across all vehicle lines, while BMW send almost 200K units per month here. Hearing all of this I told him if I won't take delivery of the car until Nov/Dec 2018, then I should wait for the 992's to come out and order the newer model..........to which he responded (you are going to lover this one) "if you do that, you might be waiting 2 years for your car to come in!) That's flat out ridiculous if that's the case. As I live in the NY Metro area just outside NYC, I have access to multiple dealerships in NY/NJ and CT. Pls let me know your thoughts and advise. Thx......
Hard to tell if he is BSing you. I have heard numerous timelines very similar to yours. SO either it is the company line or that is accurate. I tend to believe what the guy is selling you. I ordered a C2S mid August from a small dealer. Two weeks later he called me and told me he could not get a car period. His first time in 16 years of selling cars that happened to him. Went to a large dealer and placed the same order Sept 6. I am expecting delivery right around March 1. 6 months for me for a C2S. I know Targas are much harder to come buy. My SA told me had I come in looking for a GTS or Targa my wait would have been much longer.
Old 01-26-2018 | 09:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

This dealer had the ***** to tell me the GT3 would have to be "above MSRP" if he were asked to quote......I must be old school or not use to the "Porsche way of doing business" but turning down $325K worth of orders is something MB, Jaguar, Audi and BMW wouldn't do.

If anyone has a good connection with a "hungry" dealer in the NY Metro market, pls shoot me a PM. Thx guys
Simple supply vs demand. Porsche appears to have the supply where they want it and it is not really a buyers market at this time with regular 991 much less the GT3
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:27 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Thx DBH....the 200K+ units must have been a worldwide #.....thx. Back to topic....I understand from my discussions that dealers can "swap" build dates for cars or other builds with other dealers? I have located a dealer in the southeast with a build date within the next 6 weeks, delivery in June. When speaking to him he insists that he will "offer no discount" to the car since they are in "such limited supply". I told him that his position was unfortunate as I was holding back the info that a buddy of mine wants to go in with me to build a GT3 in an effort to combine our purchasing power to maximize any discount we can get. This dealer had the ***** to tell me the GT3 would have to be "above MSRP" if he were asked to quote......I must be old school or not use to the "Porsche way of doing business" but turning down $325K worth of orders is something MB, Jaguar, Audi and BMW wouldn't do.

There is an element of bs in what he is telling you, at least on delivery. If the car is going into production in the next 6 weeks, it gets finished in 1-2 days depending on options, less than a week to Emden, and Davisville is the first stop in the US for the boat. Obviously there can be delays in the deliver process, but if a car being built in the next 6 weeks isn't delivered by the end of April, then someone is bs'ing you.

My GTS went into production on 12/19, and was delivered to my dealer today. There was a Holiday shutdown in there, and Jax is the 2nd boat stop after Davisville. Bottom line is he doesn't have an allocation that will be built in the next 6 weeks, or he is pretty new on the job.
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:45 PM
rowsey
Advanced

THANKS everyone for the input...... I lucked out and found the car I wanted (Targa 4S) in Manhattan........ was delivered on Tuesday (1/23)..... I have thus CANCELLED my order and will not have to endure the wait. I LOVE this car!
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:47 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Congrats, looks great, and no wait. I can attest to the pain associated with a wait.
Old 01-26-2018 | 11:53 PM
bwiele
Pro

Looks very similar to mine.

Old 04-26-2018 | 07:50 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

😳😳

Old 04-26-2018 | 09:02 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

My 2018 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Coupé
  • Ordered Porsche Oct. 30, 2017 (10/30/17) "December Build"
  • 43 days to start build (12/12/17) or ~6 weeks
  • 27 days to Emden, Germany port (1/8/18) or ~3.9 weeks
  • 16 days on dock before ship sailed (1/24/18) or ~2.3 weeks … Vessel: Antares Leader
  • 26 days to San Diego port (2/19/18) or ~2.7 weeks
  • 7 days to deliver in Scottsdale, Arizona (2/24/18) or 1 week
  • 2 days to delivery (2/26/18
78 days from start of build to delivery or ~2.6 months
Total from order to delivery 120 days or 4 months

It was worth the wait!

Quick Reply: how long from order to delivery