Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018 | 09:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
No. In individual mode, you can only choose Sport, sport +, enable/disable auto start stop, PSE, PSAM setting, and spoiler. You can't separately break out rev matching.
That was what I recalled—and it's a rare "miss" from Porsche. Probably by the same cat who thought no one wanted manual transmissions in GT3s anymore. Maybe it's his or her revenge...
Old 01-11-2018 | 10:58 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
That was what I recalled—and it's a rare "miss" from Porsche. Probably by the same cat who thought no one wanted manual transmissions in GT3s anymore. Maybe it's his or her revenge...
Yeah, but given the Porsche "attitude" they don't consider that a miss--they consider us misguided. Is resistance futile?
Old 01-12-2018 | 12:37 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Yeah, but given the Porsche "attitude" they don't consider that a miss--they consider us misguided. Is resistance futile?
Never.

A number of engineers, product planners, designers, and PR folks haunt these boards. Very few comment for obvious reasons (and I bet there are times when they dearly want to, because the ones I know are real-deal enthusiasts), and they are watching for exactly this kind of feedback.

Also, they appreciate valid criticism. Comments from the media, customers, and forums regarding the 991.1 GT3 led to the return of the GT3 with a manual gearbox after the head of R&D and other board members said manuals were done in the highest-performing 911s, and there are other cases as well.
Old 01-12-2018 | 01:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
As usual, Im odd man out. I think rev matching should be avail in all modes.

If I were keeping my stripped 16 base at the end of its lease I would for sure have an AutoBlip box installed.

Guess Im just not a "true" enthusiast.
You're fine. Easy to get jaded by dick swinging threads like this on RL. I'll bet Porsche extended the rev match to all the sport modes because they were sick of money shift related warranty claims from people who thought they were masters of heel/toe, but really weren't.
Old 01-12-2018 | 03:06 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Let's investigate this heel and toe thing a little further - for my benefit. I've had manual shift cars for the last 50 years (oh sh*t I'm that old!). During that time the best track/street car I had was my 1984 911 Carrera. I was the second owner and I had it for 10 years. The first owner was a fellow who had 3 or 4 911s before ordering this one. He also had a competition license and raced Sports2000. The 84 Carrera was ordered to his specification and was his best stab at a track and daily driver car. It had heavy duty everything as well as front and rear tails. Now on to the shifting - he modified the gas pedal in that car by adding a 1/2" or so piece of wood on top of the pedal. Also the 911s of that era had the gas pedal hinged on the bottom. That setup really made heel and toeing quite easy - heel on gas, toe on brake. Now after the Audi 5000 debacle of unintended acceleration (all BS) the car manufacturers have designed their cars so that the height of the gas pedal is positioned well below the height of the brake pedal. So my question for those of you who bother to heel and toe, what are your foot positions? Heel on brake, toe on gas seems awkard. Do you modify the pedals?
Old 01-12-2018 | 05:20 PM
limegreen
Pro

Never.

A number of engineers, product planners, designers, and PR folks haunt these boards. Very few comment for obvious reasons (and I bet there are times when they dearly want to, because the ones I know are real-deal enthusiasts), and they are watching for exactly this kind of feedback.

Also, they appreciate valid criticism. Comments from the media, customers, and forums regarding the 991.1 GT3 led to the return of the GT3 with a manual gearbox after the head of R&D and other board members said manuals were done in the highest-performing 911s, and there are other cases as well.

It's great to have your experience and knowledge on this board.

It's at least somewhat comforting to know that Porsche has their ear to the street so to speak. As a person who is not accustomed to complaining about things they can not change it can be personally frustrating. I wish there was another system in place that would serve as a productive way to voice suggestions / concerns etc. to those with the authority to make changes....
Old 01-12-2018 | 05:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

new drivers have no idea of heel and toe...even pro F1 drivers!
OK, so this news may surprise a few motorsport fans. It turns out that, until recently, F1 sensation Max Verstappen didn’t know what ‘heel-and-toe’ shifting was.
https://www.adaptnetwork.com/sports/...-heel-and-toe/
Old 01-12-2018 | 06:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blepski

Your also making another broad, generalized statement about purists not wanting the PSM / " nannies" on... I disagree... PSM is a great system and is NON intrusive in street driving. It does not seek to dilute the experience of spirited street driving in the same way as auto rev match.
I disagree with most of your reply but wanted to specifically respond to this comment with the below video. Great 1 minute video too. It does speak to me.

Never.

Absolutely and I think they are doing a fantastic job too. They listen and they respond. Some examples from the top of my head of the 1000s that are out there:
1. Put a 911S engine in the Cayman. Let the chassis fulfill it's destiny. Who cares if it faster than the entry 911?! Done.
2. Bring back the Manual in the 991.2 GT3! Done.
3. The gears are too long in my MT. Make them shorter!. Done (911T)
4. Why can't I get SPASM, PTV or RWS in my Base 911!? I will pay the friggin money! Done.
5. Keep the GT cars NA or I am walking! Done.
6. WTF would you make so few 911Rs when demand is so high? Enter the GT3T

I guarantee you that Porsche has been working on the PSE sound in the 992 based on the feedback. They are also getting a lot of feedback on the 718 - not just from sales numbers but the reason why there is a huge decline despite the economy doing so well. Nothing but crickets on the 718 Planet-9 forum which was the mainstay forum of Cayman/Boxsters.

Don't get me started on the GT allocation process, investors flipping PTS GT3RS, and 918 owners head of line privileges that put them in the garage.....they need to fix that. Rant over..... But I strayed.....to get back on topic, I bet they make rev matching configurable on the 992. It's easy to do.
Old 01-12-2018 | 11:21 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Default PTV

Speaking of nanny annoyances, does anyone care to comment on PTV? A couple times I've tried to take some very sharp turns quickly and I've felt something very unnatural happening. Not sure it was PTV, but that's what I think it felt like.....like one wheel was braking without my permission. It wasn't ABS, and it wasn't traction control, I don't think. Anyway, can anyone comment as o whether or not I was feeling PTV? Whatever it was, I've gotta say, it takes away from the enjoyment of the Spyder a bit. In my GT500, if I want to kick it the rear end, you can bet it's going to kick out.
Old 01-13-2018 | 12:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I personally prefer and love all the electronic nannies in the 911.

Life's hard enough; driving shouldn't make it harder.
Old 02-04-2018 | 02:53 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Does the sport mode button in the T come with the “Sport Response Button”? 30 seconds of everything turned up to 11?
Old 02-04-2018 | 08:44 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by G99x.y
Does the sport mode button in the T come with the “Sport Response Button”? 30 seconds of everything turned up to 11?
Not with manual transmission, only with PDK.
Old 02-04-2018 | 09:31 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by DBH
Not with manual transmission, only with PDK.

awesome ...

fwiw - Porsche has been very unclear on what’s included or not. That coupled with most of the reports have inconsistencies with each other or aren’t clear about weight loss.

When end will there be any actual test drives? Only one on YouTube so far by, that 911 guy -

Old 02-04-2018 | 10:27 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Originally Posted by blepski

It’s not a question of whether or not your a “ true “ enthusiast...

Its a simple matter of whether or not a supposed “ enthusiast “ version of a 911 should include training wheels for manual transmission drivers that either lack the prerequisite skills of operating one properly or the desire to learn ...

Adding AUTOMATIC features to a MANUAL transmission defeats the purpose and dulls the experience .
100% disagree with you - sounds to me like you shouldn’t be looking at the T but maybe at an older model with a “real” manual transmission and no computer aids. Right?

Quick Reply: Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???