Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:40 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Yeah, I'm clear that disengaging PSM will disengage rev match. But that isn't ideal since PSM becomes appropriately less intrusive as you progress from normal to sport to sport +.

Are you telling me auto rev in my new 991.2 GTS is enabled in BOTH sport and sport+ ???!!!!!
Agree that I would never disengage PSM since I am not a better driver than the computer. Answer to your last question is yes.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
No, it should be on in Sport and off in sport Plus like the other models.

Nope. Rev matching is available in sport + in the 991.1 (not 2012.5), 981 (2014 onward), 991.2 etc in sport + with SC. Rev matching is also available in sport mode in 2017 and beyond. It is not available in sport mode in 981 and 991.1. Fact.

This was a change with the 7MT w/SC 991.2.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

Nope. Rev matching is MANDATORY in sport + in the 991.1 (not 2012.5), 981 (2014 onward), 991.2 etc in sport + with SC. Rev matching is ALSO MANDATORY in sport mode in 2017 and beyond. It is not available in sport mode in 981 and 991.1. Fact.

FIFY, assuming you are correct.

That it a seriously stupid move on Porsche's part. I wonder if we could demand a software fix...
Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

I was out in my new GTS on Friday morning while the weather was good and the roads were bare. I was practicing auto revving and heal toe in normal mode. I didn't use sport or sport + since I'm still in break in and trying to keep the rev's below 4K. I felt the throttle blipping was a little laggy with the turbo. I was assuming that when I when to sport + it would be more aggressive.

Can't believe I'll be stuck manually rev matching and heal toeing in the base mode. Jeez!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

FIFY, assuming you are correct.

That it a seriously stupid move on Porsche's part. I wonder if we could demand a software fix...
I am correct. Below is the page from Porsche's web site. Also, you put in the word MANDATORY into my quote - with your FIFY. Throttle blip can be disabled by disengaging PSM as previously discussed so technically it is not mandatory. Although your point is well taken. Throttle blip should be controlled with a button or in the MFD.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:28 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, as much as I love manual transmissions and manual throttle blipping, it's a real pleasure to have the auto-blip around town. It's one of the things I really enjoy about my car.

That said, when you eventually head back out on the track without it, it takes some getting used to again -- but it all comes back pretty quickly.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Boy, after reading this thread I’m glad my car (purchased from inventory) doesn’t have SC! I was disappointed at first because my 2016 981 had it and I liked it. Like Subshooter stated, you could disable it in sport mode in the 981.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:44 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I suppose that in order to share in my dissapointment and grief over that fact that it seems Porsche will never make a real drivers car again you’d first have to disagree with Auto Rev Matching ...

Personally, I find it to be one of the most absurd features to ever be put on a vehicle with a MANUAL transmission ... If convenience and around town comfort is what your after then PDK is the option for you .

For the rest of us it’s a nuisance that contradicts exactly why we purchased a MANUAL transmission in the first place ....

The fact that PSM needs to be switched off adds further annoyance because of the added step of disabling coupled with the warning light... Plus for spirited street driving many would appreciate the added safety net that PSM affords while exploring the cars limits...

Last edited by limegreen; 01-07-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:55 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

As usual, Im odd man out. I think rev matching should be avail in all modes.

If I were keeping my stripped 16 base at the end of its lease I would for sure have an AutoBlip box installed.

Guess Im just not a "true" enthusiast.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Can someone help me clarify? If I spec a SC, I do not get Auto Rev? Whereas if I did not spec SC, I get Auto Rev?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
..I think rev matching should be avail in all modes.
I agree with you there, but it it should be a selectable option. Would be easy enough to add a button an/or allow it to be selected on the individual mode menu. Or so I would think.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:03 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Originally Posted by .moo.
Can someone help me clarify? If I spec a SC, I do not get Auto Rev? Whereas if I did not spec SC, I get Auto Rev?
No, you have it backwards.
On MT cars:
If you do not spec SC, you do not get auto rev. Ever.
If you do spec SC, you get auto rev in 2 of the 3 modes, sport and sport + , and mandatory in these 2 modes unless you fiddle with PSM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

No, you have it backwards.
On MT cars:
If you do not spec SC, you do not get auto rev. Ever.
If you do spec SC, you get auto rev in 2 of the 3 modes, sport and sport + , and mandatory in these 2 modes unless you fiddle with PSM.
Thanks! That's what I thought so I got a bit worried after I read the thread. I spec'ed mine with SC so I could get the Auto Rev (not that I need it, but it's a nice to have for small price).
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

If I were keeping my stripped 16 base at the end of its lease I would for sure have an AutoBlip box installed.

Guess Im just not a "true" enthusiast.
It’s not a question of whether or not your a “ true “ enthusiast...

Its a simple matter of whether or not a supposed “ enthusiast “ version of a 911 should include training wheels for manual transmission drivers that either lack the prerequisite skills of operating one properly or the desire to learn ...

Adding AUTOMATIC features to a MANUAL transmission defeats the purpose and dulls the experience .
Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I don't think so. The odd man out is the guy that can still do heel and toe despite the chatter and chest beating. I love rev matching. I wish it was available in normal mode.

I agree with you there, but it it should be a selectable option. Would be easy enough to add a button an/or allow it to be selected on the individual mode menu. Or so I would think.
+1
Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Agree that I would never disengage PSM since I am not a better driver than the computer. Answer to your last question is yes.

Nope. Rev matching is available in sport + in the 991.1 (not 2012.5), 981 (2014 onward), 991.2 etc in sport + with SC. Rev matching is also available in sport mode in 2017 and beyond. It is not available in sport mode in 981 and 991.1. Fact.

This was a change with the 7MT w/SC 991.2.
You are quite right. I am thinking of the PSE burbles.

This should be switchable independent of any other mode. Like the Corvette and the Nissan Z.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???