Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK downshift "clunk" sound, is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK downshift "clunk" sound, is it normal?

I noticed my base 911 with PDK now seems to make louder "clunk" sound than before when downshifting while the car is slowing dow. Upshifts when car speeds up are generally very smooth, quiet, and fast, no problem there. The car has 21.000 miles and is under CPO warranty. I checked with my service adviser and he said it is normal without test driving the car. Wondering if this is something of a concern?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

A "clunk" is perceived different from one person to another. If this is something new that has cropped up recently then IMO it indicates something has changed,....and probably not for the better. Could be a lot of things,....if under CPO, no doubt take it in to the dealer and have them fully inspect. (I don't like the attitude of the dealer saying it's "normal" without even taking a look at it ) Could be normal, but why take a chance.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:02 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Need some more info...which gear, speed. rpm oh and in auto or manual?
From 2nd to 1st is always rather "eventful".
Most don't even shift down to it when coming to a stop, the car will do that on it's own after but only after it's come to a full stop.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 AM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

From 2nd to 1st there is a pretty perceptible "clunk"
Old 01-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really get a clunk but the 2nd to 1st downshift is definitely rougher. D
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (01-19-2021)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by siitech
I noticed my base 911 with PDK now seems to make louder "clunk" sound than before when downshifting while the car is slowing dow. Upshifts when car speeds up are generally very smooth, quiet, and fast, no problem there.
I have owned two regular PDK'S and have not experienced a clunk while downshifting. I have experienced as normal on two different PDK's clunking on high torque, high rev upshifts.

Originally Posted by DY369
From 2nd to 1st there is a pretty perceptible "clunk"
Not my experience. A little rough yes, clunk no.

Originally Posted by Duke I
I don't really get a clunk but the 2nd to 1st downshift is definitely rougher. D
This is my experience.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Can you post a video of it?

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke I
That's generally the case for every DCT car I've ever driven. 1st is really just for setting off and low speed parking. You're generally not supposed to shift down from 2 to 1 yourself. The gearbox will do it for you where appropriate and its much smoother that way. I've learned to shift down from 7-2 myself heading into something like a stop light and let the car shift to 1 as we get close to fully stopped.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
That's generally the case for every DCT car I've ever driven. 1st is really just for setting off and low speed parking. You're generally not supposed to shift down from 2 to 1 yourself. The gearbox will do it for you where appropriate and its much smoother that way. I've learned to shift down from 7-2 myself heading into something like a stop light and let the car shift to 1 as we get close to fully stopped.
Just to be clear, the shift I'm describing is a PDK initiated downshift from 2 to 1. D
Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Normal roughness of a dual clutch transmission...idk if clunk is the best word for it. My .2 C4S is kind of rough 2->1 when I'm manually shifting and coming to a stop. My 981 boxster was the same. Its just you hearing the shift and nothing is wrong. The gen 2 cars are smoother, especially in auto mode.

You probably shouldnt be shifting down to 1st when coming to a stop...why? you're just increasing wear. You can nearly stop in 2nd and let it automatically shift to 1 when stopped. You can also hit both paddles and go into neutral and come to a stop that way. I would manually shift my 981 all the time and normally would only shift down to 2nd when coming to stop then left it automatically shift to 1st.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine have never clunked, so if that's an accurate description of what you're hearing I'm not sure if that's normal. I usually let the car downshift to 1 for me, but sometimes I do it manually if I'm not quite at a full stop yet and the light turns green and I'm ready to go sooner than expected, but even when I shift manually it'll never clunk.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

A service advisor told me the opposite. If there is a "clunk" there may be a problem with the PDK. He said they've swapped out a few under warranty. I was asking about my Macan, not my 911, though.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
A service advisor told me the opposite. If there is a "clunk" there may be a problem with the PDK. He said they've swapped out a few under warranty. I was asking about my Macan, not my 911, though.
Sounds like a clueless dealership service department. Guarantee you they wont be swapping a transmission that makes a little clunk noise unless there is a campaign or other reason to do so. It would have to be doing something really wrong aside from noise.

I wouldn't scare people...
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I get clunk when i'm shifting from 2nd to 1st while the car is still moving and i manually shift back into 1st from 2nd. its smooth like butter when the car shifts from 2nd to 1st on its own
Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I usually dont hear anything but if i roll my windows down and pay attention to it, I do get a light "clack" sound when i am in D slowing down rapidly from about 30mph to complete stop (without ABS kicking in) which i am pretty sure is the 2-1 gear shift.... I recall a similar noise from my 987.2 PDK...usually when i have the top down, I can hear it.

I think is a normal gearbox noise from the downshift at 2nd to 1st gear.

Quick Reply: PDK downshift "clunk" sound, is it normal?