Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK downshift "clunk" sound, is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

not sure why anyone would pdk down shift from 2>1. call me crazy. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than a transmission.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:48 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

I never shift from 2 to 1 in a MT. 1st gear is to get the car going. Brakes are to stop the car when you are at speeds below 2nd gear.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (01-19-2021)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
not sure why anyone would pdk down shift from 2>1. call me crazy. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than a transmission.

is not the driver who is shifting from 2 to 1, the computer does it by itself when is in D mode

Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 AM
Erich Adrian
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK rough vs clunk vs clack

Hello I feel the same sympton on my 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S. I feel the same symptom especially when coming to a complete stop. If im slowing down slowly, I don’t get that symptom. I recently changed the PDK clutch oil, pan, and filter. They also did a PDK calibration.

Originally Posted by vodkag
I usually dont hear anything but if i roll my windows down and pay attention to it, I do get a light "clack" sound when i am in D slowing down rapidly from about 30mph to complete stop (without ABS kicking in) which i am pretty sure is the 2-1 gear shift.... I recall a similar noise from my 987.2 PDK...usually when i have the top down, I can hear it.

I think is a normal gearbox noise from the downshift at 2nd to 1st gear.
Texas Porsche (01-20-2021)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:46 AM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi Erich when u did tranny service how many miles on your car ? If I may ask did Porsche perform the service and cost ??
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Normal.

Every Boxster, Cayman, and 911 PDK I’ve driven does this.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:25 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Its normal. Last year I was in Stuttgart, in a 4GTS. Driving on the (Wrong) other side of the road from home. I approached road works. Everything slowed down and I entered a tunnel. It was quite a curve and there was a gutter/foot path close on the right side of the car. All of a sudden an emergency vehicle turned on its sirens (In the tunnel) It gave me a fright, and at that time I heard a huge clunk and the car shook a little. In all the disorientation, I thought for sure I had hit the gutter. I was pissed. Thinking man, that's going to cost me $5,000 EURO excess. I was in disbelief. I have never hit a curb in any car ever. But being on the wrong side of the road and in a dark tunnel with sirens and traffic slowing.

It was about 50 miles before I pulled over. I got out with a heavy heart and went to inspect the damage. Nothing on the front wheel. OK. Went to the back, looking, looking looking, Nope, went back to the front, Looking, looking, looking. NOTHING. Phewww!!! What a relief. Got back in the car and felt better.

It wasn't for about another 20 mins when we slowed in traffic in the centre lane and as we rolled to a stop, the same big CLUNK. It was the PDK selecting 1st gear as we were rolling so slowly.

It seems worse in a 4. My GTS still does it every now and again, but not as pronounced as the 4GTS.
jan86 (11-01-2023)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Erich Adrian
4th Gear

Default Response

Originally Posted by orclean1
Hi Erich when u did tranny service how many miles on your car ? If I may ask did Porsche perform the service and cost ??
I did the PDK service at 95,000 miles. I am going to include photos of how the oil came out. I took it to an independent shop who uses PIWIS and has worked on Porsche for many years. He follow the procedure by the Book. I think he charged me like 250 dlls. I provided the clutch oil Pentosin FFL-3 and original Porsche pan and filter. I always use manual mode when doing city driving and use auto mode when Im racing. Manual mode I don’t experience the clunk as it downshifts from second to first.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:35 AM
Erich Adrian
4th Gear

Default Same Symptom

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Its normal. Last year I was in Stuttgart, in a 4GTS. Driving on the (Wrong) other side of the road from home. I approached road works. Everything slowed down and I entered a tunnel. It was quite a curve and there was a gutter/foot path close on the right side of the car. All of a sudden an emergency vehicle turned on its sirens (In the tunnel) It gave me a fright, and at that time I heard a huge clunk and the car shook a little. In all the disorientation, I thought for sure I had hit the gutter. I was pissed. Thinking man, that's going to cost me $5,000 EURO excess. I was in disbelief. I have never hit a curb in any car ever. But being on the wrong side of the road and in a dark tunnel with sirens and traffic slowing.

It was about 50 miles before I pulled over. I got out with a heavy heart and went to inspect the damage. Nothing on the front wheel. OK. Went to the back, looking, looking looking, Nope, went back to the front, Looking, looking, looking. NOTHING. Phewww!!! What a relief. Got back in the car and felt better.

It wasn't for about another 20 mins when we slowed in traffic in the centre lane and as we rolled to a stop, the same big CLUNK. It was the PDK selecting 1st gear as we were rolling so slowly.

It seems worse in a 4. My GTS still does it every now and again, but not as pronounced as the 4GTS.
Man I experience the same exact symptom. I’m not sure if the PDK gets confused when coming to a stop and it selects first gear and I could hear and feel a big clunk.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Canada911S
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a PDK 991 earlier this year and noticed a very harsh 2-1 downshift initiated by the PDK when coming to a stop. I asked the salesperson if this was normal and he said yes, when it’s in Sport mode. Sure enough, when put back into Normal mode, the PDK was smooth when coming to a stop.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Erich Adrian

Man I experience the same exact symptom. I’m not sure if the PDK gets confused when coming to a stop and it selects first gear and I could hear and feel a big clunk.
I drive my .2 PDK in manual mode and when coming to a stop I let the computer shift from 2nd to 1st and can hear a faint clunk, very faint.

Funny thing is I test drove a 2018 M2 DCT yesterday and never heard anything when shifting down manually or in auto mode to 1st...very smooth indeed.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Khalid Al-Fares
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi a light "clack" sound when i am in D slowing down rapidl

Old 01-19-2021, 09:49 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

If you use sport or sport plus you will hear all kinds of noises during downshifts. If in normal mode, let it warm up first. You shouldn’t hear any noise but you shouldn’t downshift to first though. That’s not recommended.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Higgndg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , ı m having same problem , how dıd you solve it ?
Thank you
Old 08-27-2021, 11:00 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgndg
Hi , ı m having same problem , how dıd you solve it ?
Thank you
Several posts in the thread allude to the fact that this is normal.

It's less accentuated when using 'Normal' over 'Sport' as well.
jan86 (11-01-2023)

Quick Reply: PDK downshift "clunk" sound, is it normal?