Sponsored by:

Seeing your 911 being built live at Porsche Germany factory tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hpapad01
I like that! "Don't give up, don't ever give up"(JV)
Why don't you email Shmee, actually his name is Tim, at enquiries@shmee150.co.ukand ask him to give you some pointers on how to do it. You have nothing to loose!
great idea, will reach out to him. Thank you 🤙
Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Eating the sausage much better than watching it being made anyway.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:49 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

You are correct, but seeing it builds up anticipation and makes the eating it much better.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's around a 6 - 7 hour trip around the assembly line for any given car and there are (and I'm totally guessing here), maybe 100 - 150 chassis on the assembly line at any given time(?). So it is a very short window of opportunity to see one's exact car being built (although I too would absolutely love to be able to see it being built). You'd either need to get very lucky to show up at the right time or have them call you a day or two before (and even then you'd have to get lucky that they don't move the production day of your car after they call you), plus you have to go during your 6 or 7 hour production window, which may or may not happen during tour hours and you have to go to the specific point in the assembly line that the car is in (it is a very long line and you won't see every car that is on the line).

I really hope you can narrow it down to increase your chances and I really hope you can see it on the line. Sending good karma your way.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hpapad01
I like that! "Don't give up, don't ever give up"(JV)
Why don't you email Shmee, actually his name is Tim, at enquiries@shmee150.co.ukand ask him to give you some pointers on how to do it. You have nothing to loose!

That's a great idea. Shmee should be able to hook you up. Message PTS guru Eduardo too. He has lots of connections in Stuttgart. They know him by first name at the factory.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
You are correct, but seeing it builds up anticipation and makes the eating it much better.
More like build up the agony of the wait for me based on several BMW European Deliveries.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Thank you @Lava Fire.
I can see the difficulties for sure.
But still think it’s worth a try to make my b-day memories complete 🤙
Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a worthy goal to try and see your car run down the line. I did what you are asking about 10 years ago with a Corvette I had ordered. Did the Buyer's Tour ($350), which included a private tour for 2 people that followed your car from the marriage to the end of the line. There were some cool things along the way including being the first person to start the car, and such. They were very helpful planning when to be there. When I got the final call for when to be there, my BIL and I drove up to Bowling Green, and were at the factory at 6:15AM the next morning, and my car was second in line at the marriage station. It was really a fun time.

You would think with all that German precision, they could at least match a Chevy factory in knowing when a car will be coming down the line.

I'm glad I didn't try this with my GTS that came off the line on 12/21. None of the schedule updates in their system that I received were close. Fortunately it got done a lot earlier, and not later than planned.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
It's a worthy goal to try and see your car run down the line. I did what you are asking about 10 years ago with a Corvette I had ordered. Did the Buyer's Tour ($350), which included a private tour for 2 people that followed your car from the marriage to the end of the line. There were some cool things along the way including being the first person to start the car, and such. They were very helpful planning when to be there. When I got the final call for when to be there, my BIL and I drove up to Bowling Green, and were at the factory at 6:15AM the next morning, and my car was second in line at the marriage station. It was really a fun time.

You would think with all that German precision, they could at least match a Chevy factory in knowing when a car will be coming down the line.

I'm glad I didn't try this with my GTS that came off the line on 12/21. None of the schedule updates in their system that I received were close. Fortunately it got done a lot earlier, and not later than planned.
that is exactly what I’m thinking...
Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

My prior BMW X3 came with a production video. It was cool to see it built. BMW no longer offers it and I wonder why? It would be easy for Porsche to do something similar, but perhaps they don’t want you to see Heinrich or Anna sneezing into your dash.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
It's a worthy goal to try and see your car run down the line. I did what you are asking about 10 years ago with a Corvette I had ordered. Did the Buyer's Tour ($350), which included a private tour for 2 people that followed your car from the marriage to the end of the line. There were some cool things along the way including being the first person to start the car, and such. They were very helpful planning when to be there. When I got the final call for when to be there, my BIL and I drove up to Bowling Green, and were at the factory at 6:15AM the next morning, and my car was second in line at the marriage station. It was really a fun time. You would think with all that German precision, they could at least match a Chevy factory in knowing when a car will be coming down the line.
Makes no sense, I agree. Porsche could charge 10x that much and people would cheerfully pay it. Wonder why that's never occurred to them? They have a JIT inventory system that is the envy of the industry. They know exactly when a given customer's car is going to be built, probably down to single-digit seconds. They have to, otherwise the required parts won't be in the right place at the right time.

At one time you could even wrench on your own engine at the Corvette plant.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:55 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

We as owners need to make our voices heard and request these from the manufacturers. I wrote up one serious email to top management. I can see why you would not want to allow it, but with minor changes you can make the owners experience so much better.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:02 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a private factory tour last year and asked that question. Porsche is able to let a dealer know when a car will go into production as well as advising any changes in production schedule. They key is how fast you can get on a plane and be there as production moves fast (an in different parts of the plant). I was amazed at how much of the car is hand assembled.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

My dealer told me 24H notice is the best he can do. And even that is not a for sure.
I am willing to get out there for 4-5 days and be local for that call if I can get a 4-5 day window, but that is not something they think they can commit to.

Quick Reply: Seeing your 911 being built live at Porsche Germany factory tour