Seeing your 911 being built live at Porsche Germany factory tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Seeing your 911 being built live at Porsche Germany factory tour

Hello fellow Porsche fans,
Now that I have my 991.2 GTS on order I was trying to get on to their factory tour and head out there to see my 911 being built.
My dad was out there this past summer and he came back with a great experience.
I was thinking why not try to schedule a trip out there the same week my car is going to be built.
Talking to my dealer, he said that the build is ranged at 2/2-2/18 and that is all he can find out.
Calling and emailing Porsche NA I was told to call Porsche Germany. When I did, I got s note that they can’t really find out when exactly my car will go through production, but all I was was asking was to try and narrow down the dates so I can come out there for 2-4 days and watch my dream car being built live.
Is that too much to ask?
has anyone ever requested or done this?
i don’t see a reason why they wouldn’t allow that, if anyone can get on the factory tour for $25 and watch a production line build.

I believe that if we firm up and ask for that, we should be able to get a 2-5 day range of when our cars are running through the line and experience that thrill.

Let me know now what you guys think.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

you have a better chance in asking Porsche and the German gov't to continue production of NA engines and getting the nod yes than getting a Porsche factory tour for $25.....just saying
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

They do have tours out there, my dad just did one in Sep.
they told me I can come down and see a tour but they can’t help me narrow down my build to a couple of days they it will pass through the line.
that is what I’m trying to accomplish.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to be Shmee150 in order to do this.

One more...

Last edited by hpapad01; 01-04-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:36 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

sorry I meant a production tour. ya, it would be great if they made it accessible but the logistic behind and the dealing with all the paper work involved will be daunting. I can't imagine any OE wants any Joe walking around the line--just think about the liability issues.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I've also read, I believe it was a post by Ed, that even to take pictures of factory workers you need their approval due to German workers protection laws or some sort.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

This guy is lucky being in Germany. They did say I can come down and try to find my car within the 2 week period, the prob is not to get in to see it, that they are allowing, but it’s the timing that they can’t help narrow down.
I cant spend 2 weeks there trying to go in every day and see if I can spot my car.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Little chance of actually seeing 'your car' being built. The build dates vary and move around so often, that they can't guaruntee that kind of stuff.

Factory tour, maybe, but you'll be watching random car's being built and not necessarily yours.

I would just book a Euro Delivery (factory delivery) and enjoy your car that way once it's ready to go...
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by STKDoctor
Little chance of actually seeing 'your car' being built. The build dates vary and move around so often, that they can't guaruntee that kind of stuff.

Factory tour, maybe, but you'll be watching random car's being built and not necessarily yours.

I would just book a Euro Delivery (factory delivery) and enjoy your car that way once it's ready to go...
no euro delivery. May be resolved by june
Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBARacing
This guy is lucky being in Germany. They did say I can come down and try to find my car within the 2 week period, the prob is not to get in to see it, that they are allowing, but it’s the timing that they can’t help narrow down.
I cant spend 2 weeks there trying to go in every day and see if I can spot my car.
Actually he leaves in the UK (close enough). He drove to Germany and spend there a week before he was called to visit the factory. From what I understand, he knows a lot of people in high places within Porsche, Mercedes and McLaren. He owns all three marquees in addition to a new Ford GT and a couple of F-cars.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles

no euro delivery. May be resolved by june
Huh? That regulatory issue (that I think you are referring to) was resolved about a month ago. ED is back on and also back on the configurator. If you are referring to Stuttgart ED pickup (because of Mission E factory expansion), that is suppose to be ready in first quarter of 2018. Let us know if you have more recent information.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Well, I’m not nearly connected as Shmee, but I was still hoping to get a narrowed down timeframe.
Not sure why it would be so hard to narrow down the timeframe, these guys are German and are very pressies in what and how the do it.
Will not give up just yet on seeing a glimpse of my car being built
Old 01-05-2018, 12:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Better chance of seeing a leprechaun and him giving you a gold coin ....
Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 AM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Will not give up just yet on seeing a glimpse of my car being built
I like that! "Don't give up, don't ever give up"(JV)
Why don't you email Shmee, actually his name is Tim, at enquiries@shmee150.co.ukand ask him to give you some pointers on how to do it. You have nothing to loose!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm totally down for this! I have plenty of miles to make the trip if you can figure how to narrow down! Have been to Z and done the tour and it was awesome! Would love to see my "T" being built!

cheers,

sean

Quick Reply: Seeing your 911 being built live at Porsche Germany factory tour