Sponsored by:

Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:10 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but with my 991.2 GTS Coupe arriving in two weeks I wanted your opinion on these winter tires.

Truth is I have my LJ Wrangler for the real snowy stuff. But where I live (Denver, CO) we have so many mild days (Sunny in the 40s and 50s) that the stock summer tires those temperatures will get hard and shred. I'm looking for something to drive on during the cold days and get me out of trouble if I do get stuck in a storm.

What do you folks think?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Peg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow tires

I had Alpins on my M4 and loved them. Most agree they are a better
performer in the snow than the Pirelli. For the Porsche Winter Driving Experience,
they have used studded Nokians. I think that would be my choice if they are
available in your size for Denver winters.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I had Alpins on my ‘15 TT and now have Sottozeros on my DD S550. They both seemed ok to me. Back then, the Alpins often sold out for the year by now.
Are both available in your sizes?
If it’s really bad out, I still prefer my wife’s A6 or my Tundra (both with Blizzaks).
Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

The Alpins are great in cold & dry, acceptable in packed snow but not the best in the slushy stuff.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but coincidentally was just looking on Tire Rack at these exact two options. Is there any less expensive option for those that just want competent winter tires that wont shred as the OP stated in sub-35 degree weather but arent looking to go flat out on every turn and ramp?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Just drove them back to back on the Carrera T and GT3 Touring. Same roads, same conditions. Everyone—from a very famous Porsche engineer to a raft of road testers—agreed that the Pirellis win this round. I didn't hate the Michelins as much as some did, but I wouldn't hesitate in going Sottozero.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I have not had both on a Porsche, but I had understood the trade off being sottozeros were better in snow but did not last as long. Maybe a softer compound?

The one time it saw snow (it was a family medical emergency) my jag made it 400 plus miles to western New York in a blizzard with standing snow and I e and was great on alpins.

I have alpins for my GT3 which came on a used set of wheels I bought, but I don’t have it yet to test. If I am honest, when they wear away (I should mention I run snows/AT/AS year round, don’t ask) I will probably fit conti DWS all seasons in 245 35 R20 and 275 35 R20 on my spare wheels.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:19 PM
RickInAZ
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were the conditions like that you drove in? The CO Springs dealer recommended the Pirellis as well, but not by a huge margin.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by stout
Just drove them back to back on the Carrera T and GT3 Touring. Same roads, same conditions. Everyone—from a very famous Porsche engineer to a raft of road testers—agreed that the Pirellis win this round. I didn't hate the Michelins as much as some did, but I wouldn't hesitate in going Sottozero.
Good info, thanks. What was your impression of rolling noise?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Ended up going with the Alpins. Discount Tire gave me a sweet deal with all 4 tires... The Pirelli's they could have ordered, but a local store had them in stock and were motivated to move them.

Thank you all for your thoughts
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You will like them. I have them on my Jag and they are great. As soon as my car gets out of CARB prison, the set of OZ wheels and alpins are going on.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

You’ll be happy.

I have had both on my Porsches up in Evergreen, CO. The performance is very similar between the two. I’m currently running Michelins, and I find them to be quieter and more comfortable than the Pirellis.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

In our area (Utah) most prefer the Alpins. That’s based on a few years of usage history so maybe the latest Pirelli is better. But like any comparison between two close competitors, there’s no wrong answer and I’d expect either one to work well.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
This topic has probably been beaten to death, but with my 991.2 GTS Coupe arriving in two weeks I wanted your opinion on these winter tires.

Truth is I have my LJ Wrangler for the real snowy stuff. But where I live (Denver, CO) we have so many mild days (Sunny in the 40s and 50s) that the stock summer tires those temperatures will get hard and shred. I'm looking for something to drive on during the cold days and get me out of trouble if I do get stuck in a storm.

What do you folks think?
see you went with winters. Did you get them installed yet? Given your intended use is primarily for temps, not the white stuff, I'd go all-seasons all the way. I ran Continental DWS's on my RWD BMW 535i and drove them in snow. They were asweome, and the new DWS06's are even better. A great tire. Living in VA, my reasoning was similar to yours, although the car was my daily and I did drive in snow, but I could take my wife's MDX if it got bad.

This video by Jason Fenske was eye-opening:

Old 12-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
see you went with winters. Did you get them installed yet? Given your intended use is primarily for temps, not the white stuff, I'd go all-seasons all the way. I ran Continental DWS's on my RWD BMW 535i and drove them in snow. They were asweome, and the new DWS06's are even better. A great tire. Living in VA, my reasoning was similar to yours, although the car was my daily and I did drive in snow, but I could take my wife's MDX if it got bad.

This video by Jason Fenske was eye-opening:

Interesting you posted that video..I was all set on the Alpins after my dealer of all places was offering me a discount on a set of 4, even beating tire rack. But then I saw this video and wondered if I only drive in dry cold weather, is it really worth the premium and should I save up for just getting a nice set of Pilot Sports to replace my P zeros. I am mainly concerned about cracks in summer tires in extreme cold and extending the longevity of my summers by timesharing with the winters.

Quick Reply: Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero