Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018 | 02:42 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Just drove them back to back on the Carrera T and GT3 Touring. Same roads, same conditions. Everyone—from a very famous Porsche engineer to a raft of road testers—agreed that the Pirellis win this round. I didn't hate the Michelins as much as some did, but I wouldn't hesitate in going Sottozero.
Did you drive them both on a couple of inches packed snow?
Old 02-26-2018 | 04:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Did you drive them both on a couple of inches packed snow?
No, we lucked out and didn't have snow on the road on our two days. Wave before us did.
Old 02-26-2018 | 04:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick response to an old thread. Im trying to figure out which ones will instill more confidence driving in snow on my ordered T. Inquired with a gentleman at tire rack. They recently tested the latest alpins (ratings wont be up for a while) in the snow and i was informed for legit snow driving the alpins are superior to the pirellis. Fwiw (probably not much) the tread pattern just looks like a real snow tire pattern to me. Pirelli soto tread looks like the scorpion verde a/s that came on my macan, which I didnt like.
Old 02-26-2018 | 05:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Thanks for the quick response to an old thread. Im trying to figure out which ones will instill more confidence driving in snow on my ordered T. Inquired with a gentleman at tire rack. They recently tested the latest alpins (ratings wont be up for a while) in the snow and i was informed for legit snow driving the alpins are superior to the pirellis. Fwiw (probably not much) the tread pattern just looks like a real snow tire pattern to me. Pirelli soto tread looks like the scorpion verde a/s that came on my macan, which I didnt like.
Fwiw, that day was the only time I can ever remember preferring a Pirelli product to a Michelin product when given the opportunity to sample both in real time, or even approximate time. Together with your experience and Tire Rack's input, I'd go with the Alpin. It's very hard to beat Michelin...
Old 02-26-2018 | 05:32 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

I've had my 911 with Alpins for almost 3 weeks (and 800 miles). And the Alpins have been great. They're a pretty quiet tire too (for all the sipes they have) I can't recommend them enough.
The following users liked this post:
CarsFan (10-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero