Sponsored by:

Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

It was not that cold, he had driven a while to get heat in the tires, and it was dry. Get caught out once is snow and you are toast too.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Interesting you posted that video..I was all set on the Alpins after my dealer of all places was offering me a discount on a set of 4, even beating tire rack. But then I saw this video and wondered if I only drive in dry cold weather, is it really worth the premium and should I save up for just getting a nice set of Pilot Sports to replace my P zeros. I am mainly concerned about cracks in summer tires in extreme cold and extending the longevity of my summers by timesharing with the winters.
I would still get all seasons for cold and dry.

Originally Posted by evilfij
It was not that cold, he had driven a while to get heat in the tires, and it was dry. Get caught out once is snow and you are toast too.
The point of the video was dry performance of the snow tires. Not the snow performance. I have run snows where it warrants it. Even on my SUV. I am not a snow tire nay-sayer. But in the cold and dry all seasons will suffice for sure.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I got caught in a freak snow storm on a day that started out at 60F and clear skies. I had been using summer tires year round for several years and just took the SUV on days when there was a chance of snow. Grip was fine even with the bit of snow coming down until I went over a bump/pavement gap in a construction zone and it kicked the rear of the car sideways. Must have been accelerating or slowing. Ended up in a ditch. Not going to do that again. They work pretty well in cool weather if you pick the right set but if you get caught out you must be prepared to call Uber even though you'll likely be fine. A 1-5% chance of issues will eventually catch up.

The right set of all seasons might work well but I just go for full winters for that extra safety factor. Alpins don’t compromise dry performance or feel nearly as much as Blizzaks or Hakkas.

Also the S2000 has an LSD which helps stabilize the rear under braking. Not all 911s do, and a 911 can be trickier to bring back under control than most cars if it gets momentarily out of hand.

And as the guy says in the video, if you live in a place where it doesn’t snow... that I agree with. In that scenario I’d also skip winter tires.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Michelin Alpin would be my choice. They are a great cold weather tire as well as for snow. If you were doing serious snow driving I would say the X-Ice.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 962 Posts

I ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on our Cayenne as my summer tires. I found them to be quite good in warm weather and in transitional seasons. In winter conditions, they simply don't compare to a dedicated winter tire. On the Cayenne, they were terrible in snow (even light snow). That said, if I lived in a relatively flat place that saw little to no snowfall each year, then I might consider them in lieu of winter tires, especially for a car that's not driven every day so that I could avoid the really nasty stuff.

In my opinion, the performance oriented winter tires like the Michelin Alpin and the Pirelli Sottozero are vastly superior to the old "snow tires" that people used to use. They give up very little in terms of dry weather performance, and they perform very well in snowy conditions. They've almost evolved to the point of being an all-season tire with a winter bias (This type of thing does exist - my son runs Nokian WRG3 tires on his Subaru all year in Colorado).

I think that if you're going to switch tires for the seasons, then a performance winter tire and a performance summer tire combo is the way to go. If you're going to keep one set of tires on your car all year and you're willing to put up with the compromises of an all-season tire, then something like the DWS or the newer variant might be worthy of consideration. Each choice has some compromises. In the transitional seasons, I get caught with winter tires on my car on days when it's 75 degrees and sunny. This is a compromise, just like getting caught in snow or ice with an all-season tire. I think the key here is to decide which tire combination gives you the best combination of value, performance, and risk management. There's no single solution that's ideal for all drivers and all driving conditions.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:38 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Michelin Alpin would be my choice. They are a great cold weather tire as well as for snow. If you were doing serious snow driving I would say the X-Ice.
Took the car out this morning (Alpins) it was dry and -11F and they performed very well.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Has anyone found any all-season tires in sizes even close to the standard 991.2 19- and 20-inch sizes?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:21 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 for the Alpins. Taken me far and wide through snow.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Has anyone found any all-season tires in sizes even close to the standard 991.2 19- and 20-inch sizes?
The closest I have found are 285 for the rears. Since I have 991.1 GTS, my rears are 11.5 inches. So my question for those who have tried is, can I fit 285s? Also, is there a problem with oversizing 255s on the recommendations 245 fronts? These would be for conti dws06s. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:06 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

You can run 275 35 R20 on aftermarket 11in wire wheels.

Conti DWS comes in the stock front size and that size rear.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks, but I was looking to keep my stock 11.5 gts rims on. But good to know.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on our Cayenne as my summer tires. I found them to be quite good in warm weather and in transitional seasons. In winter conditions, they simply don't compare to a dedicated winter tire. On the Cayenne, they were terrible in snow (even light snow). That said, if I lived in a relatively flat place that saw little to no snowfall each year, then I might consider them in lieu of winter tires, especially for a car that's not driven every day so that I could avoid the really nasty stuff.

In my opinion, the performance oriented winter tires like the Michelin Alpin and the Pirelli Sottozero are vastly superior to the old "snow tires" that people used to use. They give up very little in terms of dry weather performance, and they perform very well in snowy conditions. They've almost evolved to the point of being an all-season tire with a winter bias (This type of thing does exist - my son runs Nokian WRG3 tires on his Subaru all year in Colorado).

I think that if you're going to switch tires for the seasons, then a performance winter tire and a performance summer tire combo is the way to go. If you're going to keep one set of tires on your car all year and you're willing to put up with the compromises of an all-season tire, then something like the DWS or the newer variant might be worthy of consideration. Each choice has some compromises. In the transitional seasons, I get caught with winter tires on my car on days when it's 75 degrees and sunny. This is a compromise, just like getting caught in snow or ice with an all-season tire. I think the key here is to decide which tire combination gives you the best combination of value, performance, and risk management. There's no single solution that's ideal for all drivers and all driving conditions.
I hope everyone reads your post Dennis. I believe Tirerack rated DWS the best A/S tire around....and its not good in winter.
I'm a Performance winter and performance summer tire guy. Even run PSS on my SQ5.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I hope everyone reads your post Dennis. I believe Tirerack rated DWS the best A/S tire around....and its not good in winter.
I'm a Performance winter and performance summer tire guy. Even run PSS on my SQ5.
Thanks! I’m just trying to help based on my experience.

I’m currently running 21” Pirelli P Zeros on my SQ5 in the summer, and 19” Nokian Hakkapeliittas in the winter.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

21" PSS summer and 20 P Scorpions in winter on SQ5. 20" Michelin PA on 991.2 but don't drive it much in winter...only dry days really.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked these up TODAY as I pick up my 4-GTS tomorrow and the dealer will swap out the factory summers for these winters which I will bring with me...
Hopefully these are the correct ones to put on the OEM RIMS....

Fronts: 245/35/20
Rear: 295/30/20
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

If im wrong, please let me know... so much debate w/ these winter tires!

Quick Reply: Michelin Alpin vs Pirelli Sottozero