Sponsored by:

PDCC and the Track

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017 | 12:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Points for effort, Worf. No matter how many times or how clearly its stated a lot of people still think the button turns PDCC on and off.
It should be a fairly straightforward thing to understand. Especially compared to this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...pension-works/
I was guilty of this thinking when I first bought my 991 TTS. The fact that the console button is labeled “PDCC” causes confusion. It was worf928 that originally pointed it out to me.

I’m happy with RAS and PDCC. My 991 TTS feels more nimble than my 997 TT did. It also rides better and corners better.
Old 12-30-2017 | 02:08 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

No matter how many times or how clearly its stated a lot of people still think the button turns PDCC on and off.
To be fair, some folks may be newer here than those threads. It bares repeating every year or so.
Very cool video. Thanks for posting it!
Old 12-30-2017 | 05:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Is that suspension the coolest thing you ever saw, or what? First time I saw it, had to look and look and study the video and then DAMN! What a mind-blowing concept! Only thing, shoulda been Stuttgart. But, way to go, Mercedes!
Old 12-30-2017 | 06:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that suspension the coolest thing you ever saw, or what? First time I saw it, had to look and look and study the video and then DAMN! What a mind-blowing concept! Only thing, shoulda been Stuttgart. But, way to go, Mercedes!
Yup! Super trick.
F1 cars have used that suspension architecture for decades. I always wondered how they had different springs for roll and squat (and WTF was a ‘heave spring’ anyway?) and how they could have any roll/squat/dive control with 2 tons of aero downforce at speed. Never saw an annotated close-up of all the bits with an explanation of what moved which way when until now.
Old 12-30-2017 | 07:53 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you don't have PDCC or buy used without it, get this

http://www.dscsport.com/filtered-products/?ref=207

not affiliated, just a happy customer -- but don't just take my word for it

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...on-thread.html
Yes! My car did not have PDCC, and this comes pretty close.
Old 12-30-2017 | 10:49 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Also FWIW I remember reading anecdotal evidence here that PDCC would enhance tire life on the track as it would keep the tire flatter overall.

I have it and like it.
Old 12-30-2017 | 11:26 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Had it on my 4S and have it on the Turbo S. Like it on both cars . Keeps the car flatter in turns I have never had any problems with it.
Old 12-31-2017 | 12:41 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
PDCC definitely tightens up the chassis of my Turbo S. I find that it significantly reduces body roll, gives me better feel in the steering and overall I use it at the track even on a relatively bumpy track. On the street it has limited application, it's a bit jarring on anything but smooth roads, and I think the suspension only gets loaded enough to give you the feel back if you are close the limits - which isn't so good for street use. I use it occassionally on street, if I know a particularly sweet corner or something, but it's always temporary.
This is backwards. PDCC doesn't make a soft suspension stiffer. It makes a stiff suspension softer by changing the length of the sway bar drop links, thus changing the effective stiffness of the bars. It's not for the track, it's to make a stiffly-sprung car less jarring on the road. I have it in my car and can't really tell it's there on street and track. But I haven't had enough seat time in a non-PDCC car to make any meaningful comparison.
Old 12-31-2017 | 09:35 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

I found this explanation. Is this an accurate description?

When the PDCC console button is deactivated (light is off), both the PASM and PDCC is put into a "normal/comfort mode" which softens the compression damping of the shocks, adds some rebound damping, and reduces both the front and rear roll stiffness (PDCC). The PDCC is always active, it's mode is altered.

Conversely, when the PDCC console button is activated (light on), the dampers are stiffened by a large amount and the PDCC is put into "performance mode" which severely controls chassis roll depending on other factors (if it thinks you're turning or going over bumps, etc).
Old 12-31-2017 | 11:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I found this explanation. Is this an accurate description?
Yes.
Old 12-31-2017 | 11:58 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Don't forget, Mercedes is also headquartered in Stuttgart.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (03-03-2021)
Old 12-31-2017 | 12:45 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

When the 991.1 was introduced (early 2012), Porsche's literature described it as providing something like 13 seconds faster time around the Nurgbergring than the previous model when equipped with Sport PASM (shorter stiffer springs (+additional 20mm lower than PASM) and stiffer roll bar, and PDCC, in an S (which also had the mode sensitive, stiffening" engined mounts). They attributed about half of the gain to the SPASM and half to the PDCC.

As I understand it, the SPASM option gives mode sensitive damper rebound rates and the faster/sharper response makes the car feel like it "rides harder" at hight rates. The PDCC varies roll stiffness by mode and speed and keeps the car "flatter" - the principle advantage for track times being that it keeps the tire contact patch at its maximum.

Thirteen seconds is a lot of time, but over a very long run at high momentum speeds at the "Ring. I don't know how that would transfer to a more typical track (e.g., 2-3 miles), but damper rebound rate, center of gravity and contact patch are important variables around any track -other things being equal.
Old 12-31-2017 | 03:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Points for effort, Worf. No matter how many times or how clearly its stated a lot of people still think the button turns PDCC on and off.
It should be a fairly straightforward thing to understand. Especially compared to this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...pension-works/
Early PDCC-equipped 991s didn't even have PDCC marked on the button. I think it became even more confusing when they started adding it to the button (before there was no external way to know your car was equipped with PDCC).
Old 12-31-2017 | 05:35 PM
chuck911
Race Car

You mean besides just looking at it???
Old 12-31-2017 | 05:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

You mean besides just looking at it???
No, you couldn't tell by looking at it.

Quick Reply: PDCC and the Track