991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 991 bites the dust

Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 117 Posts

I got hit lightly from behind this summer in GT4. $16,000 worth of damage. (5mph collision, but it hairline cracked the rear wing, which is $6500 plus paint and labor.) The guy at fault had Allstate who paid for all repairs at the best shop in town. When it came time to argue DV I hired an independent adjuster (look on internet for your area) who wrote up an extensive report for $125 (iirc) that detailed why they owed me $6200 in DV. I sent it to my insurer (Chubb), on his instruction. They offered me $4300. I answered with stuff about the uniqueness of GT4. They reviewed, agreed it was an "exotic" car and therefore worthy of more, and eventually sent me $5500. I don't know if they go after Allstate for that or not, but the negotiating was all between me and Chubb, my carrier. For which I was immensely thankful.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Update-

Since this old guy is refusing to talk to his insurance, Allstate is refusing to acknowledge liability until the police report comes out. When I asked about the police report, CHP says it won't be ready for another 2 weeks at the earliest due to backlog. So until then, no rental car or movement.

The body shop is just as busy, and won't try to get my car to Porsche for an engine pull until later this week.

I don't recommend being rear-ended by a senile coward.. not the most fun experience
Old 01-02-2018, 02:39 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Update-

Since this old guy is refusing to talk to his insurance, Allstate is refusing to acknowledge liability until the police report comes out. When I asked about the police report, CHP says it won't be ready for another 2 weeks at the earliest due to backlog. So until then, no rental car or movement.

The body shop is just as busy, and won't try to get my car to Porsche for an engine pull until later this week.

I don't recommend being rear-ended by a senile coward.. not the most fun experience
Don't wait on Allstate - have your insurance company take care of you and then have them fight it with his insurance!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Update-

I might be talking out of my *** here as insurances can get pretty tricky depending on the situation, but this sounds pretty unacceptable. How is your insurance not doing anything about this? Past experience my insurance would temporarily charge to my deductible to get things rolling at least until things are figured out with the "potential" at fault party.

Body shop sounds pretty full of **** too. Maybe switch to a different one?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Don't wait on Allstate - have your insurance company take care of you and then have them fight it with his insurance!
^ I would just go through my own insurance company and then have them fight Allstate later.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by basic666
I might be talking out of my *** here as insurances can get pretty tricky depending on the situation, but this sounds pretty unacceptable. How is your insurance not doing anything about this? Past experience my insurance would temporarily charge to my deductible to get things rolling at least until things are figured out with the "potential" at fault party.

Body shop sounds pretty full of **** too. Maybe switch to a different one?
I'll be honest and say I'm pretty disappointed with USAA. My family has been a long time customer with them, usually no big deal. This time however, they barely give me the time of day when I call or have a question. I'll definitely be shopping around when this is over!

As for body shop, it's supposed to be a highly rated outfit here in town.. lots of work for P and F cars. I told the manager that I want my car sent to Porsche dealer tomorrow so they can pull the motor and finally see the true damage. We can't get an accurate assessment just with the bumper off.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Glad you're ok. Your car doesn't look heavily damaged for sustaining a 50mph collision. Car is totaled though.

It looks like the 5 Northbound just before Del Mar Heights Rd.

Chris Amato is my neighbor and works on high end cars. Tell him Arnold referred you.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chris-amato...erks-oceanside
Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Originally Posted by basic666
How is your insurance not doing anything about this?
Originally Posted by Hurricane
^ I would just go through my own insurance company and then have them fight Allstate later.
I'll be honest and say I'm pretty disappointed with USAA. My family has been a long time customer with them, usually no big deal. This time however, they barely give me the time of day when I call or have a question.
Because they have nothing on the line. If you were the cause of the accident they would have liability and it would be a different story. Otherwise an insurance company bending over backward to help you is a rare commodity.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Because they have nothing on the line. If you were the cause of the accident they would have liability and it would be a different story. Otherwise an insurance company bending over backward to help you is a rare commodity.
GEICO did it for me twice. I seem to be a magnet for drunk and/or distracted drivers and GEICO has come through with flying colors every time.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be honest and say I'm pretty disappointed with USAA. My family has been a long time customer with them, usually no big deal. This time however, they barely give me the time of day when I call or have a question. I'll definitely be shopping around when this is over!
If you haven't filed a claim with USAA, then I'm not sure what you expect them to do. If you file the claim, then I'm sure they will do whatever you need, assuming that you get them an estimate and if you have rental car coverage. Generally speaking, they are a good company.

However, I had a claim with them last year (homeowner's) and I had to push a little bit because the adjuster did not communicate well with me, and I finally got a new adjuster who actually answered his phone and it was settled pretty quickly, to my satisfaction. Don't be afraid to ask for another adjuster. If you want USAA to give you an estimate, then simply tell them that.

They outsource a lot of their claims work, so you may deal with an independent appraiser, and then when it comes to the adjuster, you're just getting someone out of a pool of folks who grab the next item in the queue. It can be frustrating...

Let me chime in also that I'm happy that you were not more seriously injured - that's the most important part. Focus on your good luck when the car repair process gets you down.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:12 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Default Update!

Update: Looks like car is going to be totaled. Body shop called me back today with a $26k mechanical damage quote from Porsche. The body work and frame damage will be $25k+, so looks like the thing is toast.

Any estimates for value? 2013 CPO C2S, PDK, SC, Premium Pkg w/Bose, 18 way seats, Sport Techno wheels. Ceramic Pro coating. 75,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Update: Looks like car is going to be totaled. Body shop called me back today with a $26k mechanical damage quote from Porsche. The body work and frame damage will be $25k+, so looks like the thing is toast.
My condolences on your loss. It does look, though, that my WAG was very close.

Any estimates for value? 2013 CPO C2S, PDK, SC, Premium Pkg w/Bose, 18 way seats, Sport Techno wheels. Ceramic Pro coating. 75,000 miles.
Since insurance companies will total a car at 80% of market value, it's safe to assume that they are estimating the market value to be no more than $64k. You can go on kbb or edmunds and get a rough value.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:35 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear enders on 991/718/981 can look superficial, when in fact a lot more damage has been done than meets the eye - this is largely due to the plastic carapace which can pop back out. The critical pieces are the rails left and right (these are connected to an aluminium crash bar via two aluminium box girders which are designed to collapse on impact), and the engine/gear box assembly.

These cars can be straightened using what is known as a Celette jig. The rub is everything has to be taken out of the car, the car is then mounted on the jig with each contact point being corrected to within Porsche tolerances, which are about 1mm. Porsche are very very finicky about who they authorise as a repairer. Repairers are trained in both the aluminium spot welding process coupled with the glueing procedure. Moreover, if a repair is done through an authorised and Porsche certified repairer the warranty will be maintained and an extended warranty offered.

Question, did the old chap drive into you or was he shunted into you?
Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

55-63K is the value(my estimate only based on comps). Unfortunately Ceramic coating doesn't help the value in this case.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

Here is the closest comp(2012 and lacks options):
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=194638020
Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

With a more 'normal' mileage i would say mid $60's. With 75k on the clock, early to mid $50's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another 991 bites the dust