Sponsored by:

Another 991 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
He has Allstate and I have USAA (father is retired Navy). They're still determining damage to my car, if it's totaled then I don't care what goes on behind the scenes once I get my check. However if they're serious about fixing this thing- I'm gonna have to go after his insurance for diminished value... I'm sure that'll take months.
Hope you get your desired outcome. This sort of thing gives me mixed feelings. I try to be an ethical person, but when other parties start acting badly, I am tempted to feel twinges of neck pain and PTSD.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A similar accident happened to me on I-95 with the wife and three kids in the (other) car. We were in the Camry's position from your accident. We have USAA. They took care of everything, and we never had to deal with the other person's insurance at all. When the police declared we were not at fault I got my deductible back. Sucks to lose a great car but they will make you financially whole.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 290 Posts

If they fix it and dimunition of value becomes an issue please post. I have gone through that two times and it worked out really well for me as I got an appraiser involved. Not as difficult as some make it out to be.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by cfiiman
I'm telling you man, I am going through this now. The insurance company will try to screw you every which way they can. When I finally get my check for my total I'll update my other thread I started over a month ago, yes it has been almost six weeks to get my money owed to me for my car, they took away the rental car more than 2 weeks ago. I don't mean to sound callous, but I have little sympathy for how old someone is, if he is scared, etc. you plow into the back of someone for whatever reason you better man up. I finally got smart and lawyered up on the injury side of things, but I can tell you on the property side they tried to give me 50% less of what I eventually got fighting with them. The police report will obviously be the thing that proves he is at fault (took 10 days in my state to get and I had to pay for it lol). If he wants to play games after slamming into people maybe you should have a good lawyer reach out to him and see how he likes that better than not talking to his insurance company and admitting what he did.
This is why I carry a $1M Umbrella insurance policy for a multitude of situations you may find yourself in. When on the hook for a lot of money insurance company's lawyers get a lot more interested. And the premium is little more than pocket change.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

He has Allstate and I have USAA (father is retired Navy). They're still determining damage to my car, if it's totaled then I don't care what goes on behind the scenes once I get my check. However if they're serious about fixing this thing- I'm gonna have to go after his insurance for diminished value... I'm sure that'll take months.
There's a thread on RL somewhere (I suspect Lex can find it with his Googlefoo magic) where a guy takes what looks like a minor rear bumper impact hit, but the hit struck the inner frame just right which caused the connection at the main frame to bend. The car was severely messed up as a result (I think it was eventually totaled?) though looking at it you could only see a single dent/crease and matching hole on the rear bumper.

Bottom line - read this thread and if they try to repair your car have them break it down like they did in the thread to see how the frames line up. Looking at your damage versus the picture in the thread I am referring to I would think totalling your car would be a no brainer.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:20 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

So sorry this happened but try to look on the bright side- you're basically OK and they're going to pull his license. If you have USAA you're going to be well taken care of and they'll deal with Mr. Allstate. But take advice to see doc!!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Not a total loss, but an engine-out for sure. Here it is:https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I asked the adjustor for a picture of the rear with the bumper off.. really doesn't look too severe. I looked at Lex's link, and the frame on that car (barcode metal bar) is far less damaged than mine, but I don't know if they'll still try to fix it. I'm worried I might be SOL on this, probably will be stuck getting repaired and chasing this guy for diminished value. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I guess we'll see once they pull the motor.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry for your car but glad you are OK. Yeah those photos do not look that bad, but even if they fix it you are screwed on car value. Good luck with whatever follows. Hope is all works out well for you. USAA is a great insurance company so that helps.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I’ll put in my guess according to Price-is-Right rules (closest but not over): $55k in damage.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If they don't total it then you'll get screwed on the trade... nobody will want that car. Get a professional to appraise it and fight for the depreciated/diminished value.

Like I said, to me it really doesn't matter either way. If it were my car I would be shopping for a new one. If they total it, that's my down. If they fix it I would trade it in for my down. No matter what, I'd be getting a new car at the end of this. I'd also try to go after his insurance for diminished value and I am guessing from experience that will take a long time. You are probably correct in that I would get much less for a trade, I would use those numbers to prove my case of diminished value.

We have all been around long enough to know that sometimes in life you get some bad luck and things don't go your way. This might be one of those times. They might fix it, he might not get diminished value. Bummer. But again if it were me, I would STILL be shopping for a new car. Even if my budget dictated I get another 2013CS that hadn't been in an accident.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

All I'll say is that mine didn't look too bad at first, either. And then the repair estimates kept going up until they finally totaled it.

I asked the adjustor for a picture of the rear with the bumper off.. really doesn't look too severe. I looked at Lex's link, and the frame on that car (barcode metal bar) is far less damaged than mine, but I don't know if they'll still try to fix it. I'm worried I might be SOL on this, probably will be stuck getting repaired and chasing this guy for diminished value. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I guess we'll see once they pull the motor.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 169 Posts

If that's the result of a 50 mph hit, I'm super impressed with the structural integrity of the 991 and its bonded frame. You are safe, which is the most important part. That car needs a new crate engine (won't be repairable) - $30K, New transmission - $20K, frame repair, $10-$15K (if it can be done at all), and likely new wiring harness. $10K? I'd say its most likely totaled.

sean
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 174 Posts

Accidents can look gnarly but not have caused too much damage, or they can look modest but cause a lot of damage. You never know until you dig in. I suspect your car suffered a pretty good deal of damage.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I went through this with USAA and an uninsured motorist on an old car. They were great and will front diminished value. Don’t have to wait for defendant insurance to comply. YMMV

Quick Reply: Another 991 bites the dust