991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 991 bites the dust

Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

OP - glad you escaped mostly unharmed. It sucks to see another NA 911 bite the dust.
Hopefully the car will be declared a total loss at which point you can visit the HFS thread and jump into another one.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

It's totaled. Frame damage
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

That car is definitely totalled and there is no way thats a 50mph hit. Probably 35mph or so. Either way, good that you are mostly ok, car can be replaced.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you are okay. Fight to have the car totaled if the insurance companies push back at all.

A comment in this thread highlighted how well your car held up. It’s true, but under the covers it is a mess... and you didn’t hit anything in front of you. The amount of stuff that is packed under the body work is mind boggling. My Range Rover was rear ended at a stop light, the car behind me was stopped and then just accelerated into me, so low impact. Damaged the bumper and exhaust but the final invoice was $12k for over 43 separate parts that required replacement.

Looking at the pictures, I’m most impressed with the Camry. The amount of damage the car sustained is significant but look at how isolated it is. The crumple zones did exactly what they were designed to do. Despite near total collapse of the font and rear sections of the car, with enough force to activate all the air bags, notice that the passenger cabin is remarkably intact, even the glass. It appears to be right at the limit because there was enough energy to buckle the C pillar. That is really impressive.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure sucks to loose the vehicle and go through the headaches with insurance and others, but I am glad for you as you are safe. As a fellow member mentioned upstream, keep an eye open for late onset aches and pains. Hope everything works out fine. Please, keep us updated.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting update.. the 80 year old man that hit me is refusing to talk to his own insurance. He also has hung up on my agent twice when she called for a statement. She stated that his policy is active, but can't find out his coverage limits without his consent. I've never heard of a such situation, considering his car is totaled and he'll need his insurance's support to replace his own damages.

I'm not sure what the course of action will be, probably just wait for the police report to indicate his liability before his insurance will agree to pay anything. Anyone ever heard of an at-fault driver just not responding to their own insurance?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Interesting update.. the 80 year old man that hit me is refusing to talk to his own insurance. He also has hung up on my agent twice when she called for a statement. She stated that his policy is active, but can't find out his coverage limits without his consent. I've never heard of a such situation, considering his car is totaled and he'll need his insurance's support to replace his own damages.

I'm not sure what the course of action will be, probably just wait for the police report to indicate his liability before his insurance will agree to pay anything. Anyone ever heard of an at-fault driver just not responding to their own insurance?
Who's he with?

Claim on your insurance, and they will subrogate against Mr 80 for reimbursement. Fastest option available.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Who's he with?

Claim on your insurance, and they will subrogate against Mr 80 for reimbursement. Fastest option available.
He has Allstate and I have USAA (father is retired Navy). They're still determining damage to my car, if it's totaled then I don't care what goes on behind the scenes once I get my check. However if they're serious about fixing this thing- I'm gonna have to go after his insurance for diminished value... I'm sure that'll take months.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

He has Allstate and I have USAA (father is retired Navy). They're still determining damage to my car, if it's totaled then I don't care what goes on behind the scenes once I get my check. However if they're serious about fixing this thing- I'm gonna have to go after his insurance for diminished value... I'm sure that'll take months.
I don't know about USAA but State Farm has totaled four cars for me over the last ten years. Yep, three teen drivers, four totaled cars, no injuries. They told me the damage must be greater than 70% of the value of the car to total it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Via Huerto
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

What a bummer! Happened to me 9 years ago and unfortunately the adjuster would not total the car. Car never drove the same. Turned it in as soon as I could. Hope you are feeling ok. Sometimes takes a day or two for the pain to hit. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Who cares what his limits are or whether he wants to talk. Claim on your insurance and let them file a claim against his insurer. You'll be out your deductible until they collect from him. His insurance will have to pay up. He doesn't have to be involved at all.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:31 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

We take care of our 89-year-old neighbor... in your case, it is likely that he is confused and scared. He probably should not have been driving in the first place but no one was around to take his keys away or he resisted. In our case, my neighbor is blind in one eye and insisted that he could drive just fine, I eventually took the keys and then donated his 2 cars to a local charity for the tax benefit on his behalf. Age is a relentless foe and I remind myself about that, even in the most intense moments of frustration, it cannot be helped. @archimedes is right, have your insurance process the claim, they can then go after his insurance. CA is a tort liability state so they will assign liability before agreeing on a settlement.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Glad you are okay, but sorry to see the car in this condition.

I understand the 981/991 can't be "pulled" as previous cars could be, so I suspect cars with real damage will be totaled. Not sure whether that's a blessing or a curse, but always sad to see Porsches disappear from the road. The good news is they're making more...
Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

thats sucks... sorry to hear.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm telling you man, I am going through this now. The insurance company will try to screw you every which way they can. When I finally get my check for my total I'll update my other thread I started over a month ago, yes it has been almost six weeks to get my money owed to me for my car, they took away the rental car more than 2 weeks ago. I don't mean to sound callous, but I have little sympathy for how old someone is, if he is scared, etc. you plow into the back of someone for whatever reason you better man up. I finally got smart and lawyered up on the injury side of things, but I can tell you on the property side they tried to give me 50% less of what I eventually got fighting with them. The police report will obviously be the thing that proves he is at fault (took 10 days in my state to get and I had to pay for it lol). If he wants to play games after slamming into people maybe you should have a good lawyer reach out to him and see how he likes that better than not talking to his insurance company and admitting what he did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another 991 bites the dust